Are there any other Hockey photographers out there ?

13 years 4 months ago #8368 by robpix4u2
Just wondering if there are any other action shooters out there to discuss hockey photography with in this forum. I shoot minor pro hockey at the ECHL level for www.prohockeynews.com and would like to network with some other shooters of similar interests. Naturally I would like to further my abilities so this discusssion about techniques etc. would be helpful. Also am willing to share my experiences with new shooters to help you get further along.

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #9457 by Richard K Photography
Nice shot, I haven't shot hockey before but would like to get into more sports photography. How long you been shooting hockey games?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #9542 by Rob pix4u2
I've been shooting hockey since 1993 but since 1996 have been shooting for a magazine called www.Prohockeynews.com ( formerly a print mag known as JUST HOCKEY) I also write for them as well covering the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL. This is my 7th year as a writer/Photographer on the staff. Kind of fell into the writing part when our writer quit and I took over both duties. I used to cover the old IHL league and got my first cover in1997. I rarely miss a home game as I am on the hook to write bi-monthly columns/updates following the teams progress during the season. so far I have covered 3 of the past 4 Kelly Cup championships and had pix published along with the articles. I actually got started by asking the owner of the team if I could shoot in the press area back in 1993. The publisher of JUST HOCKEY approached me in 1996 about working for them on a regular basis. I love the work and the action is second to none except maybe shooting at the NHL level. Check out my gallery of pix that I have posted here on the site-3 hockey albums are online so far.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 1 month ago #34548 by Donlaczi
This is my first try of shooting Hockey. This was during one of the Las Vegas Wranglers game. I was shooting through the glass from the spectators area, since im just a weekend warrior photographer and don't have any access to get a media pass. But it was a great experience. 'Twas fast and intense for me. But I really like it and looking forward to shoot more hockey.... Once my 70-200mm f2.8 arrives.... I made this picture using my 70-300mm F4.5-5.6, and did some tweaking using PS4.

Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #34552 by Rob pix4u2
I 'd like to see some of your other hockey shots and you can go through the albums I've posted on the site for shooting ideas. If you have the skills at shooting hockey after awhile you can really get hooked on it.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #34557 by Donlaczi
Here's the link on my flickr hockey page. sorry, I need to head out. need to get to bed, for I will be up bright and early tomorrow to shoot some Track & Field events....

Here's the link. I would really love to hear some tips and advice from an experience Hockey photographer!

Thanks Rob!

13 years 1 month ago #34558 by Donlaczi

13 years 1 month ago #34561 by chasrich

Donlaczi wrote: www.flickr.com/photos/cyclazzi/sets/72157625860793611/

Fabulous shots. This looks like a difficult environment shooting through scuffed up glass at players that are moving very fast. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #34575 by Rob pix4u2

Rob Huelsman Sr.

13 years 1 month ago #34584 by Baydream
By the time I get to "Hockeyville" (Salmon River, NS), the clean white ice is gone and there is ball hockey on gray concrete in a dimly lit rink, worn plexi and one tier one seating.

This year, I work on getting better at it.

Then, there's always the Amish boys in Pa just having fun.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024