My camera won't take pictures at night

6 years 8 months ago #535531 by toritetel
I own a Nikon D5600. The lens I am using is the 55-200mm. I've been trying to take portraits but the camera will not allow me to. I'm zoomed in all the way at 200, and I would like to take pictures at this zoom, are there any settings I should change? If I used an external LED light would that help? I tried switching to manual mode but it still will not take the picture. Also, I am a beginner and still learning. 

6 years 8 months ago #535620 by Shadowfixer1
Your problem is more than likely the camera can't achieve focus in the dim light. There are many solutions to the issue from manual focus, to using a flash light to light the subject enough to get focus. The zoom you are using doesn't have a large aperture thus it requires more light to achieve proper exposure. You are compounding the issue by zooming out to 200 mm. The more you zoom, the smaller the aperture becomes thus cutting existing light and making it necessary to add light onto the subject for the cameras focusing system. This is just the tip of the iceberg and there are many solutions to the problem. Using a flash (speedlight) is the most obvious solution.  
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #535625 by Shadowfixer1
One more thing. When you say you went to manual mode, you need to specify. There is manual exposure and manual focusing. I would say you meant manual exposure since you used the word "mode" but that's a guess. This is information people need to know in order for them to help.
6 years 8 months ago #535715 by toritetel
Again, I'm a beginner so I didn't think of mentioning that. On the side of my camera lens there is a switch that allows me to switch to manual focus, so that is what I meant. How would I change to manual exposure?

6 years 8 months ago #535812 by Screamin Scott
The dial on the top of the camera changes exposure mode. You can also go into the menu & reset the shutter release mode from focus to release but then you will likely take out of focus images. Have you tried using a flash?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535897 by toritetel
I just bought an LED light to attach to the top of my camera, and I tested it out today. Although it doesn't solve the problem completely, what settings do I have to change in order for my camera to just TAKE a picture?? I have already set the shutter release mode to release rather than focus but my camera flashes this light, which I know indicates that it won't take a picture. How do I override this?

6 years 8 months ago #535912 by clbryant1981
Unless I'm missing something, this is more of a shutter speed, on top of many other factors, issue.  Make sure your top dial is on M as already mentioned.  Slow shutter speed is a must.  As slow as you can if you're running out at 200mm.  My guess is with a kit lens, or high aperture one.  Manual focus will be your friend.  Again there's a lot of things to look at with night photography.  I would suggest finding articles to read, and photographs similar to what you want to achieve and see if you can find the settings the photographer used.  That's a good place to start.

6 years 8 months ago #535968 by Shadowfixer1
What light flashes?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024