Relationship Between Focal Length, Lens and Aperture

11 months 2 weeks ago #723908 by LensofNature
Greetings, fellow photographers.  Can anyone tell me the relationship between the type of lens used, the focal length and the aperture required to make the subject properly exposed?  I currently have three lenses (kit - 55 mm; macro - 18-55 mm; and telephoto  - 55-250 mm) and tend to gravitate towards the telephoto.  I noticed that, if my memory serves me correctly, the closer I zoom in on a subject, the brighter/more exposed it is.  I also noticed that the details can be more blurry or clearer depending on what the focal length is.  On the kit lens, things subjects tend to be over exposed, and on the macro lens, I have trouble getting subjects in focus and properly exposed.  Essentially, what I am asking is, does the exposure triangle (aperture, shutter speed, ISO differ for the same subject depending on the type of lens you use?  On a hazy day, is it better to zoom in or move closer to the subject than being farther away?  Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 2 weeks ago #723911 by Nikon Shooter

LensofNature wrote: Essentially, what I am asking is, does the exposure triangle (aperture, shutter speed, ISO differ for the same subject depending on the type of lens you use? 

Yes. All these measures /values are relative to the light coming
through the extension of the lens barrel as you zoom in or out.

LensofNature wrote: On a hazy day, is it better to zoom in or move closer to the subject than being farther away?  Thanks.

Haze is in the air between the sensor and the subject; the greater
the distance the more haze and its effects on the shot.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: LensofNature

11 months 2 weeks ago #723913 by Nikon Shooter
My turn, questions from me.
How can you ask so elementary questions while offering such takes as in your gallery?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

11 months 2 weeks ago #723926 by LensofNature
When you say "takes as in your gallery", you mean the photos are good? In answer to your question, I have a visual perceptual, visual spatial and mathematical learning disability that makes it very difficult for me to understand the physics behind photography.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these passive income photography ideas, you can expand your revenue stream without putting in a bunch of time and effort.

Aug 10, 2022

There are many types of canvas prints. The question is, which one is right for you? Use this guide to find out!

Aug 10, 2022

Photography storytelling can be done in many ways with different subjects through various mediums. Use these tips to learn more about telling stories with your photos.

Aug 08, 2022

Effective photography marketing requires pursuing multiple avenues for advertising your business. Get some insight into how to market your business in this guide.

Aug 08, 2022

As a beginner photographer, there are many different digital camera features to learn. This guide introduces you to some of the most important ones.

Aug 03, 2022

What is a prime lens? How are they different from zooms? Find out in this beginner photography tutorial on prime lenses!

Aug 03, 2022

A wood frame canvas print doesn't just need a high-quality, good-looking canvas. It also needs a well-built wood frame to keep the canvas tight.

Aug 02, 2022

Use these simple, straightforward newborn photography tips to improve the quality of your images and wow clients with beautiful photos of their baby.

Aug 02, 2022