Last person to post in this thread wins the "I'm the Man or Woman" and $200 shopping spree

4 months 2 weeks ago #695336 by Nefarious
I'm getting up early tomorrow and hoping for a good shot to be found.  Anyone else getting out this weekend? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 2 weeks ago #695348 by Hassner

Ian Stone wrote: That's really down there.   The green area off to the right, is that jungle you can drive through?

Ian, I do not understand Google maps colour coding. 
Those are all farms, nature conserves, etc. It might have something to do with rainfall figures. 
We have great roads all over this country. 
Drop that little man on google maps on some roads to see the cities and countryside. 

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #695349 by Hassner

Connie K Photos wrote: Where are most of the safari tours offered?

Connie, my son-in-law is a tour guide at the Kruger National Park. (Biggest park in Africa, 19,485km2)
I did it a few times solo, but they are in contact with other guides that who will tell him where to go to see the big 5. And he would explain their natural behaviour. He knows every bird specie in the park. I recommend you do both (one day each) and decide yourself. 
Most parks offer both self drive and guided trips. 

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #695350 by Hassner

Crazyguy wrote: Never been to Africa, it's on my bucket list.  How is it driving around there?  Plenty of gas stations and decent roads? 

Gary, Africa is a continent. I am sure you can not compare the US with Mexico.

I can tell you, South Africa is (soon was) a first world country. Fantastic roads. So is Namibia, that only became independent from South Africa about 30 years ago. 
Our “gas stations” here are as developed and frequent as yours, just, we call them garages here, as they used to be auto repair shops first, pumps later. The culture changed, but the name stuck. 

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #695351 by Hassner

Connie K Photos wrote: Where are most of the safari tours offered?

Connie, just about at every park offers guided tours. 
Most will come fetch you at the airport if you so wish.
Specially if you are not used to driving on the left.  

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #695371 by Nefarious
For me, who cares about the roads, I'd like to get into the back country.  That's where you will find the culture of Africa. :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #695377 by Hassner

Nefarious wrote: I'm getting up early tomorrow and hoping for a good shot to be found.  Anyone else getting out this weekend? 

I would 1. Do some asking about the route before I take it on to know if it is car, SUV or 4x4 type road. 
2. Remember to keep left if you drive on a back road without seeing any other vehicles for an hour or two. I have seen many a traveller approaching on my side of the road. Gravel roads have no lines to remind one of direction. 

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #695379 by Oliver Russels
I can only imagine. 

4 months 2 weeks ago #695415 by James L
Your roads are the same as UK and Australia?  

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #695420 by Hassner
Same quality roads too. 
Less sticking to rules than Australia. Like 20% of road accidents are caused by drinking. Instead of enforcing the law (you can get away with about one drink, they are changing the law to zero alcohol. Nothing will change without spot checks. 

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #695438 by Joelle Shields
Speaking of drinking and driving, for the first time in a long time, I saw a road block check for drunk drivers yesterday.  Holiday weekend here.  Gofigure.  

4 months 2 weeks ago #695459 by KENT MELTON
They are setting up a number of stops here all weekend.  I've seen 2.  

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #695469 by Shen, Jiong Men
Never seen one on my side. 

4 months 2 weeks ago #695488 by Hassner
I see the US limit is 0,08 for grownups. 
In SA it is 0,05 and our lazy minister of transport want to make it 0. 

Photo Comments

4 months 1 week ago #695538 by JaneK

Hassner wrote: Yes, Pinkie.
Flowers are not good in this region this year.
The weather does not play along.
Tomorrow we will not go out because of stormy winds.
Here is my best photo of today:

BEAUTIFUL!!!  How far was this taken from where you live? 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Learn how to get more leads by optimizing your website and making it as user-friendly as possible. More leads equals more business, so this is an easy way to boost your bottom line.

Jan 19, 2021

Use these simple mobile photography tips to get better results whether you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Jan 19, 2021

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021

One of the best things you can do for your photography business is to make it easier for your clients to pay you. Learn how you can do that with these simple photography business tips.

Jan 15, 2021

Canon EF lenses have a long-standing reputation for quality. And with an EF-RF adapter, you can continue using your EF lenses with an EOS R body.

Jan 15, 2021