Last person to post in this thread wins the "I'm the Man or Woman" and $200 shopping spree

6 months 2 weeks ago #653127 by Harrison J
That would be awesome to drive across Africa.  One day!

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 2 weeks ago #653128 by Stella Marize
One day! 

6 months 2 weeks ago #653193 by Hassner
Be prepared to pay bribes at borders just to get across. Suddenly you need “papers” not stated by authorities...
A friend did a photographic book, Cape to Cairo. He decided not to pay bribes. He waited up to three days to cross one border. 

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653219 by JaneK
WTH seriously?  How much are bribes normally?

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653224 by Hassner
Pinkie, not every border.
Prices might differ.
My info is from too many years ago, but know it is still going. 
I can not imagine it to be more than 20-40 Pounds, but that is a lot of money locally. 

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653236 by JaneK

Hassner wrote: Pinkie, not every border.
Prices might differ.
My info is from too many years ago, but know it is still going. 
I can not imagine it to be more than 20-40 Pounds, but that is a lot of money locally. 

Are these police or military requesting this $$?

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653248 by Hassner
Any usable local and US currency.

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653267 by Ian Stone
Dang, no kidding.  I'm guessing these people are armed too?

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653276 by April Saunders
Most probably. 

6 months 2 weeks ago #653362 by Chuck Liley
Dang, how many of those checkpoints do you have to drive through?  And do they base the bribe on how nice of a car or truck you drive?

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653370 by JaneK
WOW that is nuts.  I would be scared driving through those.  Sounds like you never know what sort of person you will get.  

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653393 by Hassner

Chuck Liley wrote: Dang, how many of those checkpoints do you have to drive through?  And do they base the bribe on how nice of a car or truck you drive?

Chuck, they are not armed, they are just that pesty officials that tells you you do not have all your documents to cross the border. You know you have them all. They quote for eg. different documents that is missing, so you get the point that it is money that is missing. 

And without that “document”, you can not get your passport stamped. So all a patient person will do, is play stupid and go a few times a day till they get the message that there will be no bribe paid. If you are in a hurry, then all you can do is pay.

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653415 by Chuck Liley
WOW so are they pocketing the $$ or they put in in a jar and splitting at the end of the day?

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653425 by Hassner
I have no idea. I have never been on the other side of the counter. It is only a few border posts, not all of them though. The ones I use between South Africa and Namibia, Mozambique, Botswana are fine. It is further up in Africa... 

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #653430 by Shiela Simons
Happens everywhere..

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020

Sure, the Canon 5D Mark III is eight years old, but as you'll see in this Canon 5D Mark III review, it still has a lot to offer photographers today.

Feb 11, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

The GoPro MAX is a fun 360-degree camera, but getting the best photos and videos with it requires that you learn a few tips. Get some insider tips in this quick tutorial!

Feb 14, 2020

Do you have your first photo shoot coming up soon? Get ready for it with these first-time photo shoot tips!

Feb 13, 2020

B-roll is an essential part of creating the story you tell in your videos. The question is, what's the best lens for B-roll - a 50mm or 85mm? Find out in this head-to-head comparison.

Feb 13, 2020

With these simple travel photography hacks, you'll learn how to plan, prepare, and execute a more successful photography adventure...and possibly make money while doing it!

Feb 13, 2020

It's official! Canon made their Canon EOS R5 announcement yesterday, confirming many rumored features, including IBIS and 8K video.

Feb 13, 2020

Getting started in commercial real estate photography requires a lot of work and many different steps. Get the process going with these introductory real estate photography tips.

Feb 13, 2020

Station squabble by Sam Rowley, UK Sam discovered the best way to photograph the mice inhabiting London's Underground was to lie on the platform and wait....

Feb 13, 2020