Last person to post in this thread wins the "I'm the Man or Woman" and $200 shopping spree

1 month 2 weeks ago #653127 by Harrison J
That would be awesome to drive across Africa.  One day!

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 2 weeks ago #653128 by Stella Marize
One day! 

1 month 2 weeks ago #653193 by Hassner
Be prepared to pay bribes at borders just to get across. Suddenly you need “papers” not stated by authorities...
A friend did a photographic book, Cape to Cairo. He decided not to pay bribes. He waited up to three days to cross one border. 

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653219 by JaneK
WTH seriously?  How much are bribes normally?

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653224 by Hassner
Pinkie, not every border.
Prices might differ.
My info is from too many years ago, but know it is still going. 
I can not imagine it to be more than 20-40 Pounds, but that is a lot of money locally. 

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653236 by JaneK

Hassner wrote: Pinkie, not every border.
Prices might differ.
My info is from too many years ago, but know it is still going. 
I can not imagine it to be more than 20-40 Pounds, but that is a lot of money locally. 

Are these police or military requesting this $$?

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653248 by Hassner
Any usable local and US currency.

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653267 by Ian Stone
Dang, no kidding.  I'm guessing these people are armed too?

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653276 by April Saunders
Most probably. 

1 month 2 weeks ago #653362 by Chuck Liley
Dang, how many of those checkpoints do you have to drive through?  And do they base the bribe on how nice of a car or truck you drive?

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653370 by JaneK
WOW that is nuts.  I would be scared driving through those.  Sounds like you never know what sort of person you will get.  

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653393 by Hassner

Chuck Liley wrote: Dang, how many of those checkpoints do you have to drive through?  And do they base the bribe on how nice of a car or truck you drive?

Chuck, they are not armed, they are just that pesty officials that tells you you do not have all your documents to cross the border. You know you have them all. They quote for eg. different documents that is missing, so you get the point that it is money that is missing. 

And without that “document”, you can not get your passport stamped. So all a patient person will do, is play stupid and go a few times a day till they get the message that there will be no bribe paid. If you are in a hurry, then all you can do is pay.

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653415 by Chuck Liley
WOW so are they pocketing the $$ or they put in in a jar and splitting at the end of the day?

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653425 by Hassner
I have no idea. I have never been on the other side of the counter. It is only a few border posts, not all of them though. The ones I use between South Africa and Namibia, Mozambique, Botswana are fine. It is further up in Africa... 

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #653430 by Shiela Simons
Happens everywhere..

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Sony a6100 was recently announced to much fanfare. The question is, does it live up to the hype or is it just a glorified a6000? Find out in this a6100 first look.

Sep 09, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

Not sure what to give the photographer on your shopping list? With a $5,000 budget, the possibilities are endless! Check out our picks for the best gifts for photographers under $5,000.

Sep 13, 2019

Photo by Prince Akachi on Unsplash #NoBudgetNoPhotos is going viral after a photographer, Nafa Ribeiro, revealed damning emails...

Sep 12, 2019

With these fall foliage photography tips, you'll learn a few fall photography ideas and solid methods for capturing beautiful photos of fall colors.

Sep 11, 2019

Family portrait posing mistakes are easy to make, even for seasoned photographers. In this guide, learn a few tricks for making the most of family photo poses.

Sep 11, 2019

Photography insurance is a vital part of your photography business, yet it can be a confusing topic. In this tutorial, learn the ins and outs of photography insurance so you're informed about what you need to protect your business.

Sep 10, 2019

Litra just announced the next big thing in lighting - the LitraStudio. Get all the details here, including LitraStudio specs.

Sep 10, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019