should i buy a flash for the camera when i get it

13 years 3 months ago #15874 by luckywish1
should i buy a flash for the camera when i get it

13 years 3 months ago #15875 by Cjarvis
I got an SB600 and its one of the most usefull items I carry.

13 years 3 months ago #15876 by luckywish1
so when i go to bestbuy should i tell them that i will need a flash too?

13 years 3 months ago #15888 by Travel Nut

luckywish1 wrote: so when i go to bestbuy should i tell them that i will need a flash too?

What camera are you getting?

13 years 3 months ago #15895 by Alex
If you want to get into flash photography it's going to be needed. You can find some good deals on KEH.com, Ebay.com and might even find one on Craigslist.org also.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #15899 by luckywish1
ok i will do that. im geting a camera on january 28 im thinking about the cannon rebel t2i or the nikon d3100. i see that on amazon i can get lens for the cannon cheaper then the nikon d3100

13 years 3 months ago #15902 by Alex

luckywish1 wrote: ok i will do that. im geting a camera on january 28 im thinking about the cannon rebel t2i or the nikon d3100. i see that on amazon i can get lens for the cannon cheaper then the nikon d3100

Perhaps so, however I would look at those same places I mentioned above for lenses also. Matter of fact I have bought a couple pre owned lenses from KEH.com, they were in excellent condition and the best part of course is the savings on the wallet!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #15907 by McBeth Photography
KEH.com really is the best and they are very reasonable. On our budget it really helps.

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago #15910 by Alex

McBeth Photography wrote: KEH.com really is the best and they are very reasonable. On our budget it really helps.

On any budget, it helps! ;)

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #16207 by McBeth Photography
KEH.com is a very solid used camera dealer. One thing to think about is buying a used body with more features and versitility than some of the newer "lower end" cameras. One of the reasons that I bought a Nikon D70 two years ago was on the advice of my friend at the local camera store, this advice cost him the commision on the sale of a brand new Nikon D60 outfit.

Why did I choose a 5 year old camera body to start photography? Simple, lens availability. The D70 and D80 as well as the D90 can use and autofocus with the entire AF lens line, which avails the user to 25 years of Nikon AF lenses.....Quite a selection. Here's a link to KEH.com for a clean D80 body below........

www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-...-DN029990949930?r=FE

They also sell flashes for whichever camera that you choose, and IMHO, everyone at some point needs a flash for their outfit. Even if you only use it once in a great while.

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago #16427 by Stealthy Ninja
Can the D3100 do the CLS off camera stuff with just the pop up flash controlling it?
13 years 3 months ago #16716 by McBeth Photography
Copied fron the Nikon website on the D3100 page;

Nikon Creative Lighting
System (CLS) Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-900, SB-800, or SU-800 as commander; Flash Color Information Communication supported with built-in flash and all CLS-compatible flash units

I believe so.

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago #16718 by photobod
Just took a look at the site myself Penny, there are some good D90's on there at a very good price, maybe thats the way to go, especialy if they have a good reputation.:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #19170 by Cjarvis

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Can the D3100 do the CLS off camera stuff with just the pop up flash controlling it?

The pop up flash wont triger the other flashs if thats what you ment

13 years 3 months ago #19547 by Scotty
Sb-600 would be more the efficient if you went nikon. The 430 ex will do the trick for canon. You'll want a flash. The on camera flash sucks.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024