Dislike New Facebook Connect

7 years 11 months ago #165024 by geoffellis
I tend to use FB Connect feature - just cause its easier. although i do check to see what a site is accessing...

I havent had a problem with PhotographyTalk, however in the last few days it has required the permission to post as me... and every time i log-in to PT my facebook posts that ive logged in.

I absolutely HATE that. I realize that its a form of advertising... but i hate the idea that people know what im doing when im doing it... even on facebook.

Anyways... ive found a solution around it... i only gave myself the permission to view posts as the PT connect application.... but i still wanted to share my dislike/distrust of this policy...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #165088 by icepics
I'm not sure if what you're describing is related to something I noticed after someone posted that they had a photo stolen about a week or so ago. On the PT Facebook page there's an app that's been posting hourly; it connects to articles here on the site as well as to some of our posts. It also periodically posts people's photos, I don't know if that's being done with their permission or not.

I wouldn't have thought setting up an account on here to use the message board would allow our photos to be posted or published elsewhere such as on Facebook or to be used to promote the site. I realize it's possible anywhere online for a photo to be stolen, but FB makes it too easy for others to download photos and as far as I know, doesn't give users a way to set it to prevent downloads.

I was able to access what was being posted from here on FB w/out being logged in to FB or to PT. I know there have already been changes on the PT site and that more are being developed but I'm concerned about the changes w/FB related to the site.

Sharon
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #165094 by Baydream
It appears that when a photo is posted to FB, the thumbnail image is about 90x90 pixels (3kb) but includes a link to the original photo on PT, the size you which you can determine (600x600 pixels, etc.). I believe that anyone can go to an album photo and click one of the social media links and "promote" the photo to such as FB. What is carried over is the tiny thumbnail and the link.

The FB message that you signed on to PT may be a FB connect setting. I have not seen that since I sign in directly.

I have sent a msg to admins to get clarification.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #165107 by Alex

geoffellis wrote: I tend to use FB Connect feature - just cause its easier. although i do check to see what a site is accessing...

I havent had a problem with PhotographyTalk, however in the last few days it has required the permission to post as me... and every time i log-in to PT my facebook posts that ive logged in.

I absolutely HATE that. I realize that its a form of advertising... but i hate the idea that people know what im doing when im doing it... even on facebook.

Anyways... ive found a solution around it... i only gave myself the permission to view posts as the PT connect application.... but i still wanted to share my dislike/distrust of this policy...


Hi there,

I would like to understand 100% what you are talking about. Are you saying that when you log into PT that on your FB page it's showing you as logged into PT? I will check with programmers but I'm near 100% that isn't on our end.

I will confirm to be sure.

Thank you,

Alex

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #165119 by geoffellis

Alex wrote: Hi there,

I would like to understand 100% what you are talking about. Are you saying that when you log into PT that on your FB page it's showing you as logged into PT? I will check with programmers but I'm near 100% that isn't on our end.

I will confirm to be sure.

Thank you,

Alex


Yes, that is exactly what is happening. Although granted I am using the feature that allows me to login using my facebook credentials (its the little button that says "Login Using Facebook" on PT). It has been my method of sign-in since i started coming here like 5 weeks ago.

It has just started posting as me though, I havent seen this issue before yesterday so i believe it is a new one. Ive quoted the below text which is what people see after i log-in here.

Geoff Ellis
5 minutes ago
Just logged in to PhotographyTalk.com.

Photography Forum | Photo Community | Photography Resource | photographytalk.com
www.photographytalk.com
Photography tips & tricks for wedding, landscape & family photography. Join our photography forum to share your opinions on the topic of photography.
via PhotographyTalk JFBConnect

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #165124 by Alex
Thanks for posting this, I'll check with one of my programmers to verify if this us or FB. I would have been the one to approve this, and this is the first I've seen of this. So I'm leaning towards saying it's a FB change.

Your right, it's good PR for us! Seriously I do appreciate the need for privacy and will look into this. Thanks again for sharing this.

Alex

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #165130 by geoffellis

Alex wrote: Thanks for posting this, I'll check with one of my programmers to verify if this us or FB. I would have been the one to approve this, and this is the first I've seen of this. So I'm leaning towards saying it's a FB change.

Your right, it's good PR for us! Seriously I do appreciate the need for privacy and will look into this. Thanks again for sharing this.

Alex


Ya, its not so much the PR issue... i wouldnt be upset if occasionally something got posted saying im active here... but i logged in and saw like 8 posts from PT saying i had just logged in spread out over the last 24 hours. which i feel is invasive and excessive.

but I do have the choice not to use the feature and log in like everyone else, or as i said i made it so only i can see posts created by the JFBConnect application :)

Thanks for looking into it though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #165144 by Alex
I hear you... and again appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I have sent email to programmer who will get this first thing in the AM tomorrow. ;)

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #165394 by bfchris
geoffellis:

This is an option we *don't have turned up w/our JFBConnect application. I did verify the settings weren't set to post statuses to FB just now (We've never turned that feature up).

I logged in w/one of my test users and it *didn't post to my FB page, so maybe it was a temporary thing perhaps? Perhaps FB was testing something new? I'll log in w/my test user connected to FB daily for the next few days to see if I can replicate it, or if it shows again.

Chris

is working your interwebs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #165424 by geoffellis

bfchris wrote: geoffellis:

This is an option we *don't have turned up w/our JFBConnect application. I did verify the settings weren't set to post statuses to FB just now (We've never turned that feature up).

I logged in w/one of my test users and it *didn't post to my FB page, so maybe it was a temporary thing perhaps? Perhaps FB was testing something new? I'll log in w/my test user connected to FB daily for the next few days to see if I can replicate it, or if it shows again.

Chris


Or perhaps just a rogue joomla plugin? lol im not crazy though... as you can see from my attachment it is quite consistently posting my PT login activity. And this screenshot doesnt include the 8 i deleted already from yesterday lol

but like i said... not so much a huge issue for myself as I am now the only one who can see these (<3 FB Permissions), but i wanted to share cause i didnt think it was right/appropriate if PT was doing this intentionally heh or atleast fix it if it was an accident lol

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #165434 by Baydream
Question for others using FB Connect to sign on to PT. Have you experienced this?

Please respond.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #165446 by bfchris

geoffellis wrote:
Or perhaps just a rogue joomla plugin? lol im not crazy though... as you can see from my attachment it is quite consistently posting my PT login activity. And this screenshot doesnt include the 8 i deleted already from yesterday lol

but like i said... not so much a huge issue for myself as I am now the only one who can see these (<3 FB Permissions), but i wanted to share cause i didnt think it was right/appropriate if PT was doing this intentionally heh or atleast fix it if it was an accident lol


Nothing rogue about it. We don't think you're crazy lol. Like I said, I can't replicate it this AM, so maybe it was freak occurence. I'll continue to ck daily for the next few days on this one.

Chris

is working your interwebs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

802.3K

205K

1.62M

  • Facebook

    802,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    205,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

In the Nikon Z7 vs Sony a9 shootout, which camera comes out on top? They're evenly matched with excellent features, but both cameras definitely shine in different areas.

Sep 23, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus E-M5 Mark III has been in the works for a long time and is rumored to be released this week. What specs and features can we expect? Find out here!

Oct 15, 2019

If you have a mirrorless camera, there are tons of accessories you can buy. But our list of mirrorless camera accessories narrows it down to a few must-have items.

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash The body of an FBI forensic photographer was just found in a national park in Nantahala, North...

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Jared Brashier on Unsplash How would you like to be arrested by a drone? While this isn't possible (yet), some police...

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Bryan Angelo on Unsplash A shocking report released by Bloomberg found dozens of Amazon workers charged with...

Oct 11, 2019

While the Sony a9 II is not a huge leap forward from the a9, there are some critical updates that make it a better camera, specifically for professionals.

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Daniil Kuželev on Unsplash The Tokyo police believe a pop star's fan found her by zooming in on a selfie the pop star...

Oct 11, 2019

The Nikon Z50 is set to be announced today, and indications are that it will be an affordable, entry-level option with a price around $850 for the body only.

Oct 10, 2019