Dislike New Facebook Connect

12 years 5 months ago #165024 by geoffellis
I tend to use FB Connect feature - just cause its easier. although i do check to see what a site is accessing...

I havent had a problem with PhotographyTalk, however in the last few days it has required the permission to post as me... and every time i log-in to PT my facebook posts that ive logged in.

I absolutely HATE that. I realize that its a form of advertising... but i hate the idea that people know what im doing when im doing it... even on facebook.

Anyways... ive found a solution around it... i only gave myself the permission to view posts as the PT connect application.... but i still wanted to share my dislike/distrust of this policy...
12 years 5 months ago #165088 by icepics
I'm not sure if what you're describing is related to something I noticed after someone posted that they had a photo stolen about a week or so ago. On the PT Facebook page there's an app that's been posting hourly; it connects to articles here on the site as well as to some of our posts. It also periodically posts people's photos, I don't know if that's being done with their permission or not.

I wouldn't have thought setting up an account on here to use the message board would allow our photos to be posted or published elsewhere such as on Facebook or to be used to promote the site. I realize it's possible anywhere online for a photo to be stolen, but FB makes it too easy for others to download photos and as far as I know, doesn't give users a way to set it to prevent downloads.

I was able to access what was being posted from here on FB w/out being logged in to FB or to PT. I know there have already been changes on the PT site and that more are being developed but I'm concerned about the changes w/FB related to the site.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #165094 by Baydream
It appears that when a photo is posted to FB, the thumbnail image is about 90x90 pixels (3kb) but includes a link to the original photo on PT, the size you which you can determine (600x600 pixels, etc.). I believe that anyone can go to an album photo and click one of the social media links and "promote" the photo to such as FB. What is carried over is the tiny thumbnail and the link.

The FB message that you signed on to PT may be a FB connect setting. I have not seen that since I sign in directly.

I have sent a msg to admins to get clarification.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #165107 by Alex

geoffellis wrote: I tend to use FB Connect feature - just cause its easier. although i do check to see what a site is accessing...

I havent had a problem with PhotographyTalk, however in the last few days it has required the permission to post as me... and every time i log-in to PT my facebook posts that ive logged in.

I absolutely HATE that. I realize that its a form of advertising... but i hate the idea that people know what im doing when im doing it... even on facebook.

Anyways... ive found a solution around it... i only gave myself the permission to view posts as the PT connect application.... but i still wanted to share my dislike/distrust of this policy...

Hi there,

I would like to understand 100% what you are talking about. Are you saying that when you log into PT that on your FB page it's showing you as logged into PT? I will check with programmers but I'm near 100% that isn't on our end.

I will confirm to be sure.

Thank you,

Alex

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #165119 by geoffellis

Alex wrote: Hi there,

I would like to understand 100% what you are talking about. Are you saying that when you log into PT that on your FB page it's showing you as logged into PT? I will check with programmers but I'm near 100% that isn't on our end.

I will confirm to be sure.

Thank you,

Alex

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. Although granted I am using the feature that allows me to login using my facebook credentials (its the little button that says "Login Using Facebook" on PT). It has been my method of sign-in since i started coming here like 5 weeks ago.

It has just started posting as me though, I havent seen this issue before yesterday so i believe it is a new one. Ive quoted the below text which is what people see after i log-in here.

Geoff Ellis
5 minutes ago
Just logged in to PhotographyTalk.com.

Photography Forum | Photo Community | Photography Resource | photographytalk.com
www.photographytalk.com
Photography tips & tricks for wedding, landscape & family photography. Join our photography forum to share your opinions on the topic of photography.
via PhotographyTalk JFBConnect

12 years 5 months ago #165124 by Alex
Thanks for posting this, I'll check with one of my programmers to verify if this us or FB. I would have been the one to approve this, and this is the first I've seen of this. So I'm leaning towards saying it's a FB change.

Your right, it's good PR for us! Seriously I do appreciate the need for privacy and will look into this. Thanks again for sharing this.

Alex

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #165130 by geoffellis

Alex wrote: Thanks for posting this, I'll check with one of my programmers to verify if this us or FB. I would have been the one to approve this, and this is the first I've seen of this. So I'm leaning towards saying it's a FB change.

Your right, it's good PR for us! Seriously I do appreciate the need for privacy and will look into this. Thanks again for sharing this.

Alex

Ya, its not so much the PR issue... i wouldnt be upset if occasionally something got posted saying im active here... but i logged in and saw like 8 posts from PT saying i had just logged in spread out over the last 24 hours. which i feel is invasive and excessive.

but I do have the choice not to use the feature and log in like everyone else, or as i said i made it so only i can see posts created by the JFBConnect application :)

Thanks for looking into it though.
12 years 5 months ago #165144 by Alex
I hear you... and again appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I have sent email to programmer who will get this first thing in the AM tomorrow. ;)

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #165394 by bfchris
geoffellis:

This is an option we *don't have turned up w/our JFBConnect application. I did verify the settings weren't set to post statuses to FB just now (We've never turned that feature up).

I logged in w/one of my test users and it *didn't post to my FB page, so maybe it was a temporary thing perhaps? Perhaps FB was testing something new? I'll log in w/my test user connected to FB daily for the next few days to see if I can replicate it, or if it shows again.

Chris

is working your interwebs.
12 years 5 months ago #165424 by geoffellis

bfchris wrote: geoffellis:

This is an option we *don't have turned up w/our JFBConnect application. I did verify the settings weren't set to post statuses to FB just now (We've never turned that feature up).

I logged in w/one of my test users and it *didn't post to my FB page, so maybe it was a temporary thing perhaps? Perhaps FB was testing something new? I'll log in w/my test user connected to FB daily for the next few days to see if I can replicate it, or if it shows again.

Chris

Or perhaps just a rogue joomla plugin? lol im not crazy though... as you can see from my attachment it is quite consistently posting my PT login activity. And this screenshot doesnt include the 8 i deleted already from yesterday lol

but like i said... not so much a huge issue for myself as I am now the only one who can see these (<3 FB Permissions), but i wanted to share cause i didnt think it was right/appropriate if PT was doing this intentionally heh or atleast fix it if it was an accident lol

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #165434 by Baydream
Question for others using FB Connect to sign on to PT. Have you experienced this?

Please respond.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #165446 by bfchris

geoffellis wrote:
Or perhaps just a rogue joomla plugin? lol im not crazy though... as you can see from my attachment it is quite consistently posting my PT login activity. And this screenshot doesnt include the 8 i deleted already from yesterday lol

but like i said... not so much a huge issue for myself as I am now the only one who can see these (<3 FB Permissions), but i wanted to share cause i didnt think it was right/appropriate if PT was doing this intentionally heh or atleast fix it if it was an accident lol

Nothing rogue about it. We don't think you're crazy lol. Like I said, I can't replicate it this AM, so maybe it was freak occurence. I'll continue to ck daily for the next few days on this one.

Chris

is working your interwebs.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024