Point system not working

12 years 4 months ago #178449 by chotto
Hello

It look like point system is not working in photographytalk.

I have been loging in , rating the pictures. but my points remain the same.

What could be the problem.

12 years 4 months ago #178644 by kearaS852
It could have just been a cliche in the system. I also know if you don't log in after so many days points are taking away.

The following user(s) said Thank You: chotto
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #178677 by chotto
I have been coming to site daily and looking for pictures and then rating them. at least last 10 day. I had more then 350 points they all gone off. Now I am left only with 3.
Here in forum they are showing 350 but in my profile it is 5

12 years 4 months ago #178690 by chasrich
This thread is tagged for our webmaster to take a peek. I'm sure you will hear something soon.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 4 months ago #178699 by bfchris
Chotto:

Pls confirm your points. all appears well again. Thanks Chasrich for the heads-up.

Chris

is working your interwebs.
12 years 4 months ago #179471 by chotto
Thanks for the propmpt response.

Yes now all are visible.

12 years 4 months ago #179483 by geoffellis

chotto wrote: Hello

It look like point system is not working in photographytalk.

I have been loging in , rating the pictures. but my points remain the same.

What could be the problem.

What do you get for having points? do you gain something if you reach a certain point? why do you care if you have points? I personally dont see any purpose to having them whatsoever.
12 years 4 months ago #179507 by Baydream
Right now the points don't have meaning. Future plans call for using them in contests but they will not be retroactive. They are part of the base software.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #179513 by geoffellis

Baydream wrote: Right now the points don't have meaning. Future plans call for using them in contests but they will not be retroactive. They are part of the base software.

Which brings me back to why people even care whether they are functioning properly, or functioning at all. its totally irrelevant. it doesnt even accurately show a level of contribution to the community as people like this with 3 posts sit there and just rate photos. why are they even wasting their time doing that? do you believe they would they rate those same photos if they did not get a "point" for doing it?
12 years 4 months ago #179518 by Baydream

geoffellis wrote:

Baydream wrote: Right now the points don't have meaning. Future plans call for using them in contests but they will not be retroactive. They are part of the base software.

Which brings me back to why people even care whether they are functioning properly, or functioning at all. its totally irrelevant. it doesnt even accurately show a level of contribution to the community as people like this with 3 posts sit there and just rate photos. why are they even wasting their time doing that? do you believe they would they rate those same photos if they did not get a "point" for doing it?

:agree: Because the use of points is not explained early on, many people think it is an incentive to rate photos (often with a "smilie" or an irrelevant comment) or start threads.
It does generate site hits.
Most people do not read the "Read Before Posting" section.

"Points" are part of the "growing pains" of the site.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #179522 by geoffellis

Baydream wrote: It does generate site hits.

I agree with the rest of your post... but i wanted to make a point of this...

Upside: They do create page views... which is not the same as a unique user hits. Now either one may attract advertising revenue... depends on what the advertiser is after... but in my experience the more important number is unique hits. Advertisers want lots of unique people viewing ads they paid for... not the same people viewing their ads over and over again.

Downside: Page views... especially ones involving dynamically generated pages with large images... can significantly increase the cost of operating a site. First off by the amount of bandwidth used to transfer the images... but also by the resources required by the server to handle each page view. The more people doing it, the more memory and cpu is being used. the more that is being used the slower the site will load/operate... unless you continue to upgrade.

And upgrades may be perfectly acceptable in many cases... but if the need is being artificially generated by users because of a "points" system that isnt actually used... then you are prematurely making expenditures on a venture that may not need them. of course that could be moot if PT has a ton of advertisers carrying 100% of the operational costs or a sufficiently rich benefactor

but anyways... just something to consider...
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #179528 by Stealthy Ninja
I totally agree with Geoff and John. This is my theory and it's a simple one;

People think they'll get prizes.

IMHO we could do away with the points system and the site would hardly suffer. I mean how many of the top 8 do you see posting in the forums regularly?! 2? 3 maybe?! Personally all my "points" that for some reason have me in the top points for this week have all come from forum posts. :o
12 years 4 months ago #179529 by geoffellis

Stealthy Ninja wrote: IMHO we could do away with the points system and the site would hardly suffer.

I find it difficult to believe that its not as simple as unchecking a button in the adminstration area... which makes me wonder why its active even. even if it isnt that simple... commenting out the point system on like 3-4 template files would not be a difficult task for anyone with any programming experience.
12 years 4 months ago #179538 by Stealthy Ninja

geoffellis wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: IMHO we could do away with the points system and the site would hardly suffer.

I find it difficult to believe that its not as simple as unchecking a button in the adminstration area... which makes me wonder why its active even. even if it isnt that simple... commenting out the point system on like 3-4 template files would not be a difficult task for anyone with any programming experience.

Yes you're probably right. Well I guess that's admin's decision. But I'll add that people getting 2000+ points per week and never commenting in the forums = something wrong somewhere.
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #179819 by PT Admin
In response to all..

We run contests and give away prizes for ALL activities on the site. Plans are already in place to roll out a prize give away to the most active member on the site. The winner will be chosen based on several factors but primarily on the average number of posts and points.

I get why some people question the points system and feel that the site would hardly suffer without it but the points do add a lot of value to the site just as forum posting does. On the back end, the points system helps us track the areas of popularity on the site and what areas need improvement. On the front end, it’s all about an individual's preference; some people prefer to have a higher post count by spending more time in the forums while others prefer to rack up on points by spending more time in the galleries and/or other areas of the site.

In fairness to all members, we need both systems in place to ensure recognition of members in all areas of the community, not just the forums.

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024