Point system not working

12 years 3 months ago #179833 by geoffellis
The rating system for photos though is essentially useless for any photographer who posts. How can we trust that the rating is thoughtful and concise if we suspect that a majority of people who are rating them are doing so simply to raise their point count... in particular if there are prizes to do so.

Ratings should be provided by people who want to do it... not who those who are provided an incentive to do it. It would be better then to provide points based on how many photos they VIEW... not rate. that way they can still get their point count... and any submissions are rated fairly by people who wish to take the time to actually rate and comment. it would make little difference in the points system because the people who were rating for points are now just viewing the photos... they are still loading the same images. And the people that are rating the photos also get the same number of points...

anyways. thats just my opinion. i personally dont trust the rating on any photo here as being a consensus of the community. maybe im the only one... but that to me defeats the purpose of a rating system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: _Colleen_
12 years 3 months ago #179852 by robbie

geoffellis wrote: The rating system for photos though is essentially useless for any photographer who posts. How can we trust that the rating is thoughtful and concise if we suspect that a majority of people who are rating them are doing so simply to raise their point count... in particular if there are prizes to do so.

Ratings should be provided by people who want to do it... not who those who are provided an incentive to do it. It would be better then to provide points based on how many photos they VIEW... not rate. that way they can still get their point count... and any submissions are rated fairly by people who wish to take the time to actually rate and comment. it would make little difference in the points system because the people who were rating for points are now just viewing the photos... they are still loading the same images. And the people that are rating the photos also get the same number of points...

anyways. thats just my opinion. i personally dont trust the rating on any photo here as being a consensus of the community. maybe im the only one... but that to me defeats the purpose of a rating system.

:agree: :agree: :goodpost:
Agreed with you,there are certain top points leaders who just put whatever ratings they want to just on impluse,plus the copycats who follow with the indentical low ratings.I would like to see it made compulsory for any ratings of 3 and lower for a critique to be made.Personally I don`t like to rate images but if someone rates mine i`ll return the favor,if any images captures my fancy i`ll comment.

12 years 3 months ago #179860 by Dori

robbie wrote:

geoffellis wrote: The rating system for photos though is essentially useless for any photographer who posts. How can we trust that the rating is thoughtful and concise if we suspect that a majority of people who are rating them are doing so simply to raise their point count... in particular if there are prizes to do so.

:agree: :agree: :goodpost:
Agreed with you,there are certain top points leaders who just put whatever ratings they want to just on impluse,plus the copycats who follow with the indentical low ratings.I would like to see it made compulsory for any ratings of 3 and lower for a critique to be made.Personally I don`t like to rate images but if someone rates mine i`ll return the favor,if any images captures my fancy i`ll comment.

:agree:
I saw an instance where a persons photos were rated at 1. Possibly to increase point count.
Sad thing to see.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #179866 by PT Admin
If people were given points for every photo they viewed, then almost everyone would be stacking up points in the 6 digits by skimming through the photos . At least with the ratings system, they would need to spend more time (albeit a few seconds) rating or commenting. I do agree that not all ratings will be thoughtful or concise but it's still a rating based on one's opinion and their opinion certainly matters.

I do see the pros and cons of the Points System but overall, it IS an added value. The Points System is not just for rating photos... members can earn points for nearly all activity on the site whereas post counts can only be tracked in the forums. And prizes and incentives are given to the winners based on whatever contest we have going on at the moment.

For those who want to know how points are earned and what they are for, you can check out the "PT Points" tab on the homepage for more information. The site is a constant work-in-progress and this area may change from time to time to fit the ever changing needs of the community.

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #179867 by icepics
I imagine people think the points are going to count toward something; that's probably why a lot of people rate photos just to get points. Comments/feedback on a photo seem more worthwhile than points. I sometimes look at someone's photos but don't rate them, it doesn't seem that meaningful.

MOD EDIT: Please stick to the thread topic.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #179869 by Dori

PT Admin wrote: If people were given points for every photo they viewed, then almost everyone would be stacking up points in the 6 digits by skimming through the photos . At least with the ratings system, they would need to spend more time (albeit a few seconds) rating or commenting. I do agree that not all ratings will be thoughtful or concise but it's still a rating based on one's opinion and their opinion certainly matters.

I do see the pros and cons of the Points System but overall, it IS an added value. The Points System is not just for rating photos... members can earn points for nearly all activity on the site whereas post counts can only be tracked in the forums. And prizes and incentives are given to the winners based on whatever contest we have going on at the moment.

For those who want to know how points are earned and what they are for, you can check out the "PT Points" tab on the homepage for more information. The site is a constant work-in-progress and this area may be changed from time to time to fit the ever changing needs of the community.

Thanks for the clarification!

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 3 months ago #179870 by effron

geoffellis wrote:

You are not the only one......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #197938 by _Colleen_
Well I am guessing there is no way to turn this feature off?? I had a troll following me in facebook, and has made his way here as well. I've blocked him, but in the mean time, the jerk, well HE's a JERK! lol

I do not comment often, but when I do, it is always profound. **Laughing at myself**
12 years 1 month ago #197944 by Dori
I will alert the Bosses!
:thumbsup:

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 1 month ago #198869 by Stealthy Ninja

_Colleen_ wrote: Well I am guessing there is no way to turn this feature off?? I had a troll following me in facebook, and has made his way here as well. I've blocked him, but in the mean time, the jerk, well HE's a JERK! lol

Genuine question: How is this related to the points system?
12 years 3 weeks ago #207932 by _Colleen_
Sorry, guess I should have started that the troll was rating my photos to let me know he was here. I deleted those.

I seriously hate the rating system. I wish there was a way to turn it off. I feel people should at least comment on a photo they are rating instead of just clicking some random number.

I posted a few pictures, but I doubt I will post any more. Considering deleting the ones I have. If only I were not so darn lazy.... :lol:

I do not comment often, but when I do, it is always profound. **Laughing at myself**
12 years 3 weeks ago #207946 by Karl Wertanen
:blink:
I understand the curiosity prompting the original post.... But this thread has just turned into silly mashed potatoes :silly:
12 years 3 weeks ago #208007 by Baydream

_Colleen_ wrote: Sorry, guess I should have started that the troll was rating my photos to let me know he was here. I deleted those.

I seriously hate the rating system. I wish there was a way to turn it off. I feel people should at least comment on a photo they are rating instead of just clicking some random number.

I posted a few pictures, but I doubt I will post any more. Considering deleting the ones I have. If only I were not so darn lazy.... :lol:

Try marking them so that "friends" only can access your photos. "Your Photo Controls"/"User Settings". Then only those you have accepted as "friends" can see them.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024