Point system not working

7 years 10 months ago #179833 by geoffellis
The rating system for photos though is essentially useless for any photographer who posts. How can we trust that the rating is thoughtful and concise if we suspect that a majority of people who are rating them are doing so simply to raise their point count... in particular if there are prizes to do so.

Ratings should be provided by people who want to do it... not who those who are provided an incentive to do it. It would be better then to provide points based on how many photos they VIEW... not rate. that way they can still get their point count... and any submissions are rated fairly by people who wish to take the time to actually rate and comment. it would make little difference in the points system because the people who were rating for points are now just viewing the photos... they are still loading the same images. And the people that are rating the photos also get the same number of points...

anyways. thats just my opinion. i personally dont trust the rating on any photo here as being a consensus of the community. maybe im the only one... but that to me defeats the purpose of a rating system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: _Colleen_

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #179852 by robbie

geoffellis wrote: The rating system for photos though is essentially useless for any photographer who posts. How can we trust that the rating is thoughtful and concise if we suspect that a majority of people who are rating them are doing so simply to raise their point count... in particular if there are prizes to do so.

Ratings should be provided by people who want to do it... not who those who are provided an incentive to do it. It would be better then to provide points based on how many photos they VIEW... not rate. that way they can still get their point count... and any submissions are rated fairly by people who wish to take the time to actually rate and comment. it would make little difference in the points system because the people who were rating for points are now just viewing the photos... they are still loading the same images. And the people that are rating the photos also get the same number of points...

anyways. thats just my opinion. i personally dont trust the rating on any photo here as being a consensus of the community. maybe im the only one... but that to me defeats the purpose of a rating system.

:agree: :agree: :goodpost:
Agreed with you,there are certain top points leaders who just put whatever ratings they want to just on impluse,plus the copycats who follow with the indentical low ratings.I would like to see it made compulsory for any ratings of 3 and lower for a critique to be made.Personally I don`t like to rate images but if someone rates mine i`ll return the favor,if any images captures my fancy i`ll comment.

7 years 10 months ago #179860 by Dori

robbie wrote:

geoffellis wrote: The rating system for photos though is essentially useless for any photographer who posts. How can we trust that the rating is thoughtful and concise if we suspect that a majority of people who are rating them are doing so simply to raise their point count... in particular if there are prizes to do so.

:agree: :agree: :goodpost:
Agreed with you,there are certain top points leaders who just put whatever ratings they want to just on impluse,plus the copycats who follow with the indentical low ratings.I would like to see it made compulsory for any ratings of 3 and lower for a critique to be made.Personally I don`t like to rate images but if someone rates mine i`ll return the favor,if any images captures my fancy i`ll comment.

:agree:
I saw an instance where a persons photos were rated at 1. Possibly to increase point count.
Sad thing to see.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #179866 by PT Admin
If people were given points for every photo they viewed, then almost everyone would be stacking up points in the 6 digits by skimming through the photos . At least with the ratings system, they would need to spend more time (albeit a few seconds) rating or commenting. I do agree that not all ratings will be thoughtful or concise but it's still a rating based on one's opinion and their opinion certainly matters.

I do see the pros and cons of the Points System but overall, it IS an added value. The Points System is not just for rating photos... members can earn points for nearly all activity on the site whereas post counts can only be tracked in the forums. And prizes and incentives are given to the winners based on whatever contest we have going on at the moment.

For those who want to know how points are earned and what they are for, you can check out the "PT Points" tab on the homepage for more information. The site is a constant work-in-progress and this area may change from time to time to fit the ever changing needs of the community.

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #179867 by icepics
I imagine people think the points are going to count toward something; that's probably why a lot of people rate photos just to get points. Comments/feedback on a photo seem more worthwhile than points. I sometimes look at someone's photos but don't rate them, it doesn't seem that meaningful.

MOD EDIT: Please stick to the thread topic.

Sharon
Photo Comments

7 years 10 months ago #179869 by Dori

PT Admin wrote: If people were given points for every photo they viewed, then almost everyone would be stacking up points in the 6 digits by skimming through the photos . At least with the ratings system, they would need to spend more time (albeit a few seconds) rating or commenting. I do agree that not all ratings will be thoughtful or concise but it's still a rating based on one's opinion and their opinion certainly matters.

I do see the pros and cons of the Points System but overall, it IS an added value. The Points System is not just for rating photos... members can earn points for nearly all activity on the site whereas post counts can only be tracked in the forums. And prizes and incentives are given to the winners based on whatever contest we have going on at the moment.

For those who want to know how points are earned and what they are for, you can check out the "PT Points" tab on the homepage for more information. The site is a constant work-in-progress and this area may be changed from time to time to fit the ever changing needs of the community.

Thanks for the clarification!

Resident Texasotan...

7 years 10 months ago #179870 by effron

geoffellis wrote:

You are not the only one......

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

7 years 8 months ago #197938 by _Colleen_
Well I am guessing there is no way to turn this feature off?? I had a troll following me in facebook, and has made his way here as well. I've blocked him, but in the mean time, the jerk, well HE's a JERK! lol

I do not comment often, but when I do, it is always profound. **Laughing at myself**

7 years 8 months ago #197944 by Dori
I will alert the Bosses!
:thumbsup:

Resident Texasotan...

7 years 8 months ago #198869 by Stealthy Ninja

_Colleen_ wrote: Well I am guessing there is no way to turn this feature off?? I had a troll following me in facebook, and has made his way here as well. I've blocked him, but in the mean time, the jerk, well HE's a JERK! lol

Genuine question: How is this related to the points system?

7 years 7 months ago #207932 by _Colleen_
Sorry, guess I should have started that the troll was rating my photos to let me know he was here. I deleted those.

I seriously hate the rating system. I wish there was a way to turn it off. I feel people should at least comment on a photo they are rating instead of just clicking some random number.

I posted a few pictures, but I doubt I will post any more. Considering deleting the ones I have. If only I were not so darn lazy.... :lol:

I do not comment often, but when I do, it is always profound. **Laughing at myself**

7 years 7 months ago #207946 by Karl Wertanen
:blink:
I understand the curiosity prompting the original post.... But this thread has just turned into silly mashed potatoes :silly:

7 years 7 months ago #208007 by Baydream

_Colleen_ wrote: Sorry, guess I should have started that the troll was rating my photos to let me know he was here. I deleted those.

I seriously hate the rating system. I wish there was a way to turn it off. I feel people should at least comment on a photo they are rating instead of just clicking some random number.

I posted a few pictures, but I doubt I will post any more. Considering deleting the ones I have. If only I were not so darn lazy.... :lol:

Try marking them so that "friends" only can access your photos. "Your Photo Controls"/"User Settings". Then only those you have accepted as "friends" can see them.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 might be a couple of years old now, but as we demonstrate in this Sony a9 review, it is still one of the best cameras in its class, particularly when it comes to its autofocus capabilities.

Oct 08, 2019

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Diana Măceşanu on Unsplash Steve Fines is used to using his drone to capture gorgeous aerial photos. But, when a...

Oct 17, 2019

I've had the Haida M10 filter system for about a week now, and first impressions are that it is a high-quality, well-built kit that could very well become my go-to filter kit.

Oct 16, 2019

Shooting your very first wedding? Minimize the stress and maximize your preparedness with these essential wedding photography tips for amateurs.

Oct 16, 2019

Screenshot from YouTube video If you're really strapped for cash, we've got the photography job for you: professional pigeon scarer.  There's a...

Oct 16, 2019

The Olympus E-M5 Mark III has been in the works for a long time and is rumored to be released this week. What specs and features can we expect? Find out here!

Oct 15, 2019

If you have a mirrorless camera, there are tons of accessories you can buy. But our list of mirrorless camera accessories narrows it down to a few must-have items.

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash The body of an FBI forensic photographer was just found in a national park in Nantahala, North...

Oct 15, 2019

There are many things you can do to improve your income, and these simple photography business tips will give you a pathway to enjoying higher profits.

Oct 14, 2019