Ratings

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #181666 by db
Member Henry Williams went thru a bunch of my photos that all other raters had given 4's and 5's and gave me a bunch of 2's and 3's. I messaged him of my disappointment and warned him I was going to rate (fairly based on quality) his gallery of photos which I did. I gave him a couple of 4's but in general from any professional standpoint of sharpness, detail in highlights and shadows and especially composition all his photos were below average. He didn't respond but obviously didn't care for my ratings and now his membership or gallery are nowhere to be found. I might add that several other members had already rated his photos and they too gave him 2's and 3's. We all need to be honest in our ratings but also honest with ourselves as to our our skill level when we judge others. I didn't feel it fair that someone with a very low skill level thought they could "judge" my portfolio as average or below when other more skilled photographers had given ALL my photos an average of 4.2.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Trent photography
12 years 4 months ago #181674 by john_m
I dont see it as a "big" deal, for lack of better words. The rating system is based on personal oppinion and nothing more. Now, if you had someone trolling your album, just for the sake of rating you low, then I would say its a problem. I have seen people rate subpar images with 5 stars on other boards as well. It just is what it is I guess.....

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #181675 by photobod
The point of this forum is that it gives us all a chance to rate each others photos and invariably we may be elated at one point and disappointed at another, dont take it to heart it isnt a pesonal attack if someone gives you a 2 when you feel it should be a 4, just enjoy the forum, join in and learn plus give out a little knowledge also, its all about sharing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge:

On the three photos posted they all get a 5 out of 5 from me :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #181698 by Baydream
Obviously in an "open environment" some people will simply rip through photos and rate them without any thought, I have had some myself that received this type of treatment from a person or two. "Henry" must have gotten the message because he has disappeared from the site.
As you might notice on the right hand column, Henry (ueler) did a lot of "rating" to accumulate "points". Not sure why he was here initially but he is gone.

Relax and enjoy. Your photo posted here are beautiful. (Once you ADD them to a post, click the INSERT button/ I'll do it on your first post here). Welcome.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #181990 by Stealthy Ninja
Maybe he just didn't like your picture and gave it a poor rating then didn't appreciate being "attacked" (note the " ") in a PM?

Could be... probably not though. I think theres a lot of people who think they're gonna get a prize or something from the points.
12 years 4 months ago #181994 by geoffellis

[email protected] wrote: I didn't feel it fair that someone with a very low skill level thought they could "judge" my portfolio as average or below when other more skilled photographers had given ALL my photos an average of 4.2.

This logic is extremely flawed. the only difference between a skilled photographer, and an average photographer, or even a non-photographer... is that they understand the technical aspects better

It has nothing to do with photography skill. it has everything to do with personal preferences and artistic tastes. The people that buy a photographers work are generally not skilled photographers themselves. if someone off the street told you they disliked your work or found it unappealing or unoriginal, would you tell them that they dont have the right to judge your work because they arent a photographer, and/or because other photographers online rated your work highly??

but i would say this guy was just trying to boost his points. and this is exactly one of my arguments ive made to PT Staff against having people earn points for ratings.
12 years 4 months ago #182014 by PT Admin

Baydream wrote: Obviously in an "open environment" some people will simply rip through photos and rate them without any thought, I have had some myself that received this type of treatment from a person or two. "Henry" must have gotten the message because he has disappeared from the site.
As you might notice on the right hand column, Henry (ueler) did a lot of "rating" to accumulate "points". Not sure why he was here initially but he is gone.

Relax and enjoy. Your photo posted here are beautiful. (Once you ADD them to a post, click the INSERT button/ I'll do it on your first post here). Welcome.

:agree:

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use
12 years 4 months ago #182245 by Rob pix4u2
I know which of my photos are good and which I think are average but some personal opinions get thrown in and voila someone else thinks a spectacular shot is average and an average capture is an award winner. It doesn't bother me what my pix are rated at- in sports it's all about action and that is what I strive for.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #182246 by Dori
:goodpost:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #182402 by Gary Trent photography
About RATINGS:

I recently clicked ratings to a photo'er who was quite good
giving 3s & 4s, and even a 5 etc.
He posted me back asking why I gave him 1s & 2s.

NOW ..... I find that if you don't click on the stars very fast
it stops rating at (say 1 or 2) if your a bit slow like me..... LOL

Another thing I don't like about "ratings" is .......
Who did they come from?
If your not on top of your site you can't tell who gave you
the last rating. It just tells you you have (eg) 3 ratings.
Ratings from who?????

I come to my page often yet can't sit here all day wondering
who rated what photo.

Answer (with a question):
Rather than "rate" why not comment on why you like or
dislike a particular image?

I rather like the personal touch of conversation over the
lazy-man's way of "rating"
To me, "rating" is a "like" ...... like on Face Book. . . . . . . . . . .

CHEERS ! :cheers:

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 4 months ago #182413 by Stealthy Ninja
I personally don't worry too much about who/what people rate my pictures as/at whatever.

Because, well... I like them so who gives a flying rip what "they" think?!
12 years 4 months ago #182414 by Alex
Don't get to caught up on the current rating system folks... we have some improvements coming around the corner in 2012.

Stay tuned!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #182415 by Stealthy Ninja

Alex wrote: Don't get to caught up on the current rating system folks... we have some improvements coming around the corner in 2012.

Stay tuned!

Excellent to hear. ;) :goodpost: :thumbsup:
12 years 4 months ago #182433 by Maria21
Personally I think the rating is stupid because I like to see the comments as to why someone likes or dislikes a photo. I think it would be better if when you clicked the star it would then make you enter a comment as to why you rated it the way you did & it should also record who rated you.

I have noticed that some that do leave comments are general. While they do give some information, it usually isn't enough to completely understand what is meant or are not helpful at all. Sometimes it doesn't invoke much inspiration to want to go out & want to try again.

I'm not saying that all comments have to be rainbows & sunshine, but they should be useful & informative. Saying "It doesn't do anything for me", just isn't helpful to the OP trying to improve their skill level. But saying "It doesn't work for me this way, try another angle" gives the OP useful info to try next time they are out shooting. This is just my opinion, take it or leave it.... but this is the kind of stuff that helps get better.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #182576 by Gary Trent photography
Maria 21 says:

"Personally I think the rating is stupid because I like to see the comments as to why someone likes or dislikes a photo"

Me ............ :goodpost:

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024