"Picture The Future"

12 years 2 months ago #201448 by jordanmcrae
Hi PT!
Today is the day that I have officially started something that has been weighing heavy on my heart. A friend of mine has been struggling to earn the money for post-secondary education, and I have been brainstorming ways to support them, and the many other individuals facing the same problems. I've summarized it all in a YouTube video, and I'd absolutely love your support, feedback, criticism, etc. I'm hoping that something will become of this, but the only way to find that out is by giving this a shot, so that's exactly what I'm doing!

Thanks for your support, and happy shooting!
12 years 2 months ago #201449 by Dori
I am at work and don't have sound but look forward to watching in the morning! :woohoo:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 2 months ago #201452 by icepics
Interesting idea which seems like a sincere effort to support a friend's education, and I suppose anyone who sells their photos can do as they choose with the money they make. But this seems to be bordering on fund raising/non profit activity.. yet it's almost like a scholarship of sorts. Might be worth looking into what would be the best way to set up this type venture where you live.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #201464 by jordanmcrae
Absolutely. I think the best way to approach this would be through partnership with another organization. It's a huge undertaking to start a nonprofit organization, and there are a lot of legalities involved with it. Thanks for the encouragement! :)
12 years 2 months ago #201478 by mklinejr
Keep us informed as to what you are doing and how it is going. It sounds like a great idea, if you need images i would be willing to donate some as well, not sure how else I can help right now but i would love to. Might even try to do this in my area.

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
12 years 2 months ago #201592 by jordanmcrae
Thanks so much! So far the support is tremendous. I've been receiving messages and emails from people, and I've sold around 15 photos already, and I've got a photoshoot set up. Not bad for a first day!
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #201742 by icepics
You might want to look more into fundraising and nonprofit status before you get any further into raising money. I was involved in starting a nonprofit group so know something about how it works here in the US anyway.

Here there are different categories of nonprofit status and I'm not sure where your idea would fit. While there are nonprofit fundraisers for individuals (like one I'm familiar with where a student athlete was paralyzed so funds were raised to assist the family w/ home modifications). I'm not sure about nonprofit fundraising to help a friend afford college... that seems like it may not fit into any of the categories that qualify, here anyway.

Not that it's necessarily a bad idea or couldn't work, but once you get into a certain level financially you may have to file tax forms annually etc. You might want to do more research into this so you don't get into a situation where after the fact you find out this wasn't done according to laws regarding fundraising and handling funds etc.

In my case I did a lot of 'homework' before we ever got our nonprofit off the ground. I just wouldn't want you to get into a situation down the road where you have problems because rules and regs weren't followed. It sounds like your intentions are good so I hope you can find a way to be successful with it.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024