Hijacking

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #20459 by photobod
I think a few people on here are hijacking threads for the purpose of getting a higher post rating, I am guilty as charged, it was a good idea Alex the ratings that is, but being used in the wrong way.

We are putting things on threads for the sake of extra posts and maybe we ought to calm down, and as I have admitted to being guilty of said hijacking I will be the first to stop.

We need to set a good example to others especially fresh boarders, god knows what they must think, yes its fun, but only in the correct threads.

After all this is a photography forum not a comedy show, dont get me wrong I am not saying lets get boring, I am just saying lets get back to earth.

Feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong.

:watching: :toocrazy: :watching:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream
13 years 3 months ago #20468 by Rob pix4u2
Agreed- It's not a competition or shouldn't be, but it has been fun to see some of the pix that have been posted.:banana:

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #20469 by photobod

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Agreed- It's not a competition or shouldn't be, but it has been fun to see some of the pix that have been posted.:banana:

I am all for fun Rob but only within the correct threads, people are posting on threads things that have nothing to do with the topic, me included, and its getting a bit silly thats all.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #20472 by Stealthy Ninja
Most of it's in the lounge area anyway. That's what the lounge is for.

As for proper posts about photo topics. Mostly they're answered in the first few posts anyway. Going a bit off topic is just fun (once the question has been done with)

Just relax and have fun. :banana:
13 years 3 months ago #20473 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Agreed- It's not a competition or shouldn't be, but it has been fun to see some of the pix that have been posted.:banana:

I am all for fun Rob but only within the correct threads, people are posting on threads things that have nothing to do with the topic, me included, and its getting a bit silly thats all.

Nothing wrong with that man, it's what makes coming here fun. Mostly we answer the posts well.
13 years 3 months ago #20474 by Rob pix4u2
Relaxing...having fun...it's too early in the morning here for anything else.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

13 years 3 months ago #20475 by photobod

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Most of it's in the lounge area anyway. That's what the lounge is for.

As for proper posts about photo topics. Mostly they're answered in the first few posts anyway. Going a bit off topic is just fun (once the question has been done with)

I know its fun and I am always relaxed, but when one person has gone through every thread to post on something they have already posted on several times already, and I am not including the lounge area in this statement, its pretty obvious what is happening, it didnt happen before Alex put up the score ratings, and all I am saying is its starting to look pretty silly, all I am asking is for us to get back to the real world inexperienced photographers come on here for answers to there problems, if the first thing they see is a comedy world maybe they wont hang around
I had a feeling people wud take this personally and that wasnt the intention, I have admitted to doing it myself I was just hoping that some of us more experienced posters would see what was happening and admit to it.
I apologise now if anyone feels offended.
I dont wish to fall out with anyone and I will continue to have fun in the appropriate places thats all I am saying.

www.dcimages.org.uk

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
13 years 3 months ago #20476 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Most of it's in the lounge area anyway. That's what the lounge is for.

I know its fun and I am always relaxed, but when one person has gone through every thread to post on something they have already posted on several times already, and I am not including the lounge area in this statement, its pretty obvious what is happening, it didnt happen before Alex put up the score ratings, and all I am saying is its starting to look pretty silly, all I am asking is for us to get back to the real world inexperienced photographers come on here for answers to there problems, if the first thing they see is a comedy world maybe they wont hang around
I had a feeling people wud take this personally and that wasnt the intention, I have admitted to doing it myself I was just hoping that some of us more experienced posters would see what was happening and admit to it.
I dont wish to fall out with anyone and I will continue to have fun in the appropriate places thats all I am saying.

No it's cool man. I'm happy with my posting style and I've obviously been posting like this for a while (before the ratings went up).

I've noticed a lot more "Ninja" style posting after the ratings went up too, I just don't have a problem with it because it creates an atmosphere of fun.

This forum is quite welcoming and I don't think we're scaring anyone away. :) if anything the opposite. If they feel they can be free to have a bit of fun, I think they're more likely to stick around than if we were all just discussing DOF, ISO, perspective distortion etc.
13 years 3 months ago #20477 by photobod

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

photobod wrote:

No it's cool man. I'm happy with my posting style and I've obviously been posting like this for a while (before the ratings went up).

I've noticed a lot more "Ninja" style posting after the ratings went up too, I just don't have a problem with it because it creates an atmosphere of fun.

This forum is quite welcoming and I don't think we're scaring anyone away. :) if anything the opposite. If they feel they can be free to have a bit of fun, I think they're more likely to stick around than if we were all just discussing DOF, ISO, perspective distortion etc.

Youve got me there Ninja, but Ime glad you agreed with a coupla things :duel: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk

13 years 3 months ago #20493 by Baydream
I agree that posting to every topic every day without adding value diminishes the value of the board. Perhaps we need 2 separate "latest post" lists so that "lounge" posts do not hide the informative ones. If you are away for a day, you can easily miss questions and suggestions since they have slipped to the 2nd, 3rd or fourth page.
Don't get me wrong, I love the"Lounge" and the banter but this is supposed to be about photography. I sincerely hope my comments do not upset anyone but I believe more will come on board if they see posts about photography.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20495 by crystal
Wow, did I miss something that happen over the weekend? Anyways, I try to only reply when needed. :goodpost:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream
13 years 3 months ago #20503 by Baydream
Observations from an old "marketing guy".
:watching:
I noticed that the topics count at the top of the page is actually dropping a bit. That would mean that several topics have bee deleted (probably for good reason) but that very few new topics are being added.
Are we getting new members who are not posting because of "clutter"? Just asking. I would like to see this board grow.
Guess we (administrator) needs to look at the member statistics to see how many new folks joins and if they post anything (and also how many joined a while back and never return).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20508 by Karl Wertanen

Baydream wrote: Observations from an old "marketing guy".
I noticed that the topics count at the top of the page is actually dropping a bit. That would mean that several topics have bee deleted (probably for good reason) but that very few new topics are being added.
Are we getting new members who are not posting because of "clutter"? Just asking. I would like to see this board grow.
Guess we (administrator) needs to look at the member statistics to see how many new folks joins and if they post anything (and also how many joined a while back and never return).

I think you bring up a good point. I think new folks would be discouraged from adding a topic or even chiming in on an existing post because of all the garble and the fact that if you dont log on for one day, you have to sift through 3 pages (15 posts each) to find anything pertaining to the original topic at hand. :agree:
13 years 3 months ago #20517 by crystal

Baydream wrote: Observations from an old "marketing guy".

Well I am sure it's happening on this board just like any other forum. People join, but they do not post. They just sit back and read, but do not respond. Do not ask questions, do not answer questions, do not get in on the fun.
13 years 3 months ago #20524 by Rob pix4u2
Sometimes the "clutter" can be annoying and sometimes it can be hilarious but if it's posting just for posting sake then it is difficult to wade through to find if there are anything of value beyond it. And as I have said before some folks never respond to requests for more info about the original question so it's easy to see where the hijinks come in.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024