Would Colorado massacre change your opinion of seeing Batman?

11 years 8 months ago #241907 by ShadowWalker
I was planning on seeing that movie tomorrow night, honestly I'm thinking I'll wait a few weeks before seeing this now.

What a shame that some idiot does this, the families affected and now going to see a movie won't ever be the same. That line has been crossed. :(

Photo Comments
The topic has been locked.
11 years 8 months ago #241915 by Stanly
This isn't a move that I would see in the theater to begin with, I wouldn't be surprise that this event changes how people attend movies. Just like 9/11 and how security measures were heightened, I wouldn't be surprised if metal detectors start popping up in theaters soon.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241916 by ShadowWalker
Exactly!

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241926 by John37
I'm thinking they will no longer allow costumes in the movie theaters. I will certainly not view the movies the same any longer. I'm pretty level headed... but this one has me thinking strange. As for Batman, I'm a fan of the ones from Batman Begins, and on. But I wouldn't see them in the theater. DVD is where it's at for me now. It's much cheaper in the long run.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 8 months ago #241937 by geoffellis
Quite frankly youre a naive idiot if you let this affect your opinion of theatres or movies... or any other building. its an isolated incident ffs.

Do you second guess walking into a skyscraper? schools? bars? restaurants? hotels? getting on a bus? a train? airplane? or any other dozens of places where people have been mass murdered... yet aside from airplanes, and *some* bars and schools... there are no real security precautions.

Youre gonna die. You can die walking down the street hit by a car, drive by shooting. You can die in your sleep from a freak aneurysm or stroke.You could have cancer or aids right now. Youre a fool you are actually concerned about seeing a movie due to the notion that *someone* might shoot it up.

But really. You could go to a bowling alley, and some nutjob is just as likely to walk into that and start shooting. You arent safe from nutjobs. You can accept that and move on. Or you can turn your country into a police state with armed people doing pat downs and metal detectors prior to entry to any building.

This event is definitely a "tragedy" but this kind of talk is just stupid.
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #241952 by McBeth Photography
I agree with some of what you said Geoff, but naive idiots? Nah, don't think so. It seems that most times that there is a shooting tragedy, the unfortunate effect is copycat crimes from other nutjobs. Perhaps the media should report every single shooter that gets his/her plans foiled by wisdom and experience of dedicated police around the country, maybe the perception wouldn't be "isolated incidents".

Not that we should live in fear, not at all. It just affirms my personal position to defend our right to bear arms, because we'll never get the guns away from the "nutjobs". Why should we be expected to defend ourselves with swiss army knives when something like this does happen, "randomly"?

Tragedy it is ... but learn from it, we must.

People are scared Geoff, not stupid.

It is what it is.
11 years 8 months ago #241956 by The Gardener

McBeth Photography wrote: I agree with some of what you said Geoff, but naive idiots? Nah, don't think so. It seems that most times that there is a shooting tragedy, the unfortunate effect is copycat crimes from other nutjobs. Perhaps the media should report every single shooter that gets his/her plans foiled by wisdom and experience of dedicated police around the country, maybe the perception wouldn't be "isolated incidents".

Not that we should live in fear, not at all. It just affirms my personal position to defend our right to bear arms, because we'll never get the guns away from the "nutjobs". Why should we be expected to defend ourselves with swiss army knives when something like this does happen, "randomly"?

:agree: exactly.... have a little respect for others

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241965 by geoffellis
okay. lets look at it this way. a new movie like that is going to be out in most theatres. Ive seen a few numbers but moderately id say there were at least 4000+ movie theatres in the US. lets say they dont all show new releases. 3000 perhaps do? those that do probably have 1 or 2 screens with 3-4 showings daily. but lets say they only have 1 screen and 2 showings per day. Thats 6000 potential screenings per day. Thats 42000 per week. and i feel thats a fairly low estimate. Now you can consider that a theatre has between 50-300 seats on average. Since not all theatres are gigantic, but most would use their largest screen for a blockbuster like batman... so ill estimate even just 100 seats per screening filled. Thats 600,000 attendees per day, and again, likely a low number. (imo)

So you have a minimum 0.00016% chance of being a potential target on any given day. (1 in 6000)
You have a minimum of 0.00002% chance of being a potential target on any given day (12 in 600000)

But that doesnt even take into consideration that people dont shoot up movie theatres of every day. Thus that is only your minimum chances of being involved if it does happen. the actually chances of you being in a movie theatre shooting are exponentially smaller based on the chance that you go on that day, at that time, at that screening, for that movie simply because it does not happen regularly.

1 in 4-5 deaths in America is caused by Heart Disease every year. Thats 20-25%. but an infinitesimally small chance of getting shot in a movie theatre scares you? thats naive idiocy if ive ever heard it.

addendum: i said 3000 theatres, but i found after i read this that it opened in 3700 theatres opening day, and increased to 4400 in the US. So at the very least those estimates were low. dont feel like rewriting the above though... but im sure the point was made.
11 years 8 months ago #241968 by Dori
Now that you have crunched the numbers, what does that prove? Nothing, statistics are just that. People will still feel as they do.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 8 months ago #241970 by effron
I'm going this afternoon to see the movie. However, thanks to Geoff, I'm probably NOT going bowling this week.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241973 by Pettigrew

The Gardener wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: I agree with some of what you said Geoff, but naive idiots? Nah, don't think so. It seems that most times that there is a shooting tragedy, the unfortunate effect is copycat crimes from other nutjobs. Perhaps the media should report every single shooter that gets his/her plans foiled by wisdom and experience of dedicated police around the country, maybe the perception wouldn't be "isolated incidents".

:agree: exactly.... have a little respect for others

+2 That was rude geoffellis, why don't you find ways of making a point with out coming across offensive. If you fear heart disease you stay away from certain foods, if you fear flying you find other means of getting somewhere, if you fear evil leprechaun's, then you stay home St. Patties day. The point is, people have the right to freedom which does include opinions. What right does it give you to call people idiots for exercising this God given right?

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241974 by geoffellis

Dori wrote: Now that you have crunched the numbers, what does that prove? Nothing, statistics are just that. People will still feel as they do.

It proves that there is no rationality in that type of thinking/feeling. I might very well be the odd one out... but one isolated incident isnt about to change the way i feel about movie theatres. even it does happen again... a copy cat or whatever... the chances that you would be directly involved is still extremely! tiny.

there are much bigger, and direct threats to your health and safety than the occasional mass murdering gun men.

effron wrote: I'm going this afternoon to see the movie. However, thanks to Geoff, I'm probably NOT going bowling this week.....:angry:

LOL :evil:
11 years 8 months ago #241980 by Joves
Well first off I do not go to theaters at all because they are over priced, and it seems that common courtesy at them is nonexistent. But if I planned on going I still would. First I do not allow some random event to intrude into how I live my life, this falls under the heading the s@#t happens. While yes it is terrible that it happened, it is nothing major in the great scheme of things. Second I have a CCW and do not do business with places that restrict my carrying of my sidearm. I have carried a firearm for over 30 years and luckily never had to use it on a human. This is a case of I would rather have one and not need it, rather than not having it and needing it. I believe that had there been somebody there that knew how to use their weapon correctly that the shooter would not have gone as far. But this is only mere conjecture, I know had I been there it would have been weapon drawn, aimed, and fired.

The following user(s) said Thank You: geoffellis
11 years 8 months ago #241983 by Stealthy Ninja
Nope. I totally want to see it!!!
11 years 8 months ago #241984 by Pettigrew

Joves wrote: Well first off I do not go to theaters at all because they are over priced, and it seems that common courtesy at them is nonexistent. But if I planned on going I still would. First I do not allow some random event to intrude into how I live my life, this falls under the heading the s@#t happens. While yes it is terrible that it happened, it is nothing major in the great scheme of things. Second I have a CCW and do not do business with places that restrict my carrying of my sidearm. I have carried a firearm for over 30 years and luckily never had to use it on a human. This is a case of I would rather have one and not need it, rather than not having it and needing it. I believe that had there been somebody there that knew how to use their weapon correctly that the shooter would not have gone as far. But this is only mere conjecture, I know had I been there it would have been weapon drawn, aimed, and fired.

:agree: I agree with you. Personally my leisure time won't be spent any differently either. I just have a tough time with rude people as my above statement illustrates. Regarding a fire arm, I would have done the same, however I believe from the police reports this guy was heavily protected with armor that would have made it a very tough shot for anyone, considering your in a dark room, with a bright screen in front of you, flashes coming from the gun in semi auto mode, with a target who is dressed in black and protected with bullet proof armor. I'm not to shabby with weapons, but I'll admit this would be a tough shot.

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024