Did your passion for photography start with film?

11 years 8 months ago #245067 by KenMan
I feel like a late bloomer to photography. I met a photographer today who got started 41 years ago and spent most of his time with film. He was just telling me that he just bought his first digital camera 2 years ago. But he still shoots film to this day.

When you got serious with photography, were you shooting film or digital at that time?

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245068 by Screamin Scott
Well, since it was 1969, it had to be film...That said, I got my first digital about 9 years ago ( a point & shoot...2.3 mp)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245074 by John Landolfi
I started with film (BW) while in college. When time and place made darkrooms unaccessible, I switched to slides. I got my first digital ten years ago, or so, and my first serious digital (D1x) shortly after. And I still shoot film.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245089 by hghlndr6
B&W film & darkroom as a teenager ... a few years earlier than Scott.:lol: Got my first digital about 3 months ago after not even touching a camera for at least 12 years.
11 years 8 months ago #245160 by effron
Around 1970, bought a Nikkormat FTN, a couple lenses and that led to my lifetime of financial bleeding. I also had a B&W darkroom soon after, late seventies started processing and printing my own color. I also worked a couple years for a pro who had a lab and some great camera gear. Kind of slowed down mid 80's due to kids that needed food and clothes. Bought a Nikon D70s in 2006, and that was it...hook, line and sinker.......:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245174 by butterflygirl921
I learned on B&W film and that was about 5-6 years ago and now im on digital

11 years 8 months ago #245179 by rmeyer7
I got into digital first, but I challenged myself to shoot some film so I'd be forced to develop (no pun intended...) some skills without the option of taking the same shot several times and picking which one I liked best.

11 years 8 months ago #245366 by digitalpimp
My passion started with a polaroid! Then film then digital. Strange time line for me.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245375 by Joves
I started when I was 9 in 67". My grandfather gave me one of his old 120 cameras, and showed me how to adjust things so it was film.

11 years 8 months ago #245410 by deemarie
My interest started when I was around 11 I think, (many moons ago!) gt my first film camera at 16. Then bought a bridge amera a couple years ago after eing away for at least 10 years. Just bought my first DSLR

deemarie
11 years 8 months ago #245414 by KCook
Bought my first camera in the '50s (roll film). Now strictly digital.

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 8 months ago #245606 by Adam Nagle
I've used film back in the day, but more as your family man photographer then. It wasn't till digital came out that I got hooked.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245678 by Rob pix4u2
Started with film in the 1960s with my father as my teacher then my first SLR in 1982 and finally a D70s as my first DSLR after a Fuji point n shoot digital. 40 years of film and now 99% digital

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 8 months ago #246125 by icepics
Started with film, still shoot film. Some digital now but have a variety of film cameras I use, SLRs, rangefinders, various vintage cameras, Polaroids, etc. I like to shoot B&W film and have done some darkroom work.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #246177 by Stealthy Ninja

My goodness you're all so old.

:p

Personally I was never really into photography till about 5 years ago when I decided it might be fun to try something new. So I went straight to digital. I have used film before (back in the 1980s and 1990s) I have no desired to go back to it.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024