Need help with gift for husband

11 years 5 months ago #260025 by CatherineW
Husbands birthday is coming up and I know he's wanting a new coffee maker. Anyone know much about those Keurig coffee machines? How does the coffee taste from something like this? My husband loves his coffee and REALLY loves a good cup in the morning. Not to be redundant, but just making a point.

What are your thoughts on this thing?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #260034 by McBeth Photography
I guess for me simplicity is king. I received a Kitchen-Aid coffee maker from Jennifer 4 years ago and love it. Although once in a blue moon I will have a craving for french-press coffee and make that instead.

As far as the Kitchen-Aid brand we've been very happy with their products and their customer service. We have an immersion blender that had the motor go bad one year after the warranty had expired and after a phone call to Kitchen-Aid they shipped us a brand new unit free of charge.

It is what it is.
11 years 5 months ago #260106 by John Landolfi
More important than the particular machine you use is the quality and condition of the coffee itself. It is very perishable, especially after being ground (we are talking about one or two days), and vacuum packing is irrelevant to its deterioration. So nothing like a Keurig or Nespresso is more than a convenience of dubious value, because the ground coffee is stored in those packets for months, possibly years, before use. If your husband really likes coffee, he can probably tell the difference.
I would recommend a grinder as well as a coffeemaker, so beans can be ground as you need them every day or couple of days. Cuisinart makes a combination machine with a grinder built in- very convenient. And Costco's Kirkland brand coffees are good and not at all expensive. :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #260108 by rmeyer7
:agree:
John is a man who knows his coffee!

Freshly ground coffee will definitely taste far better than anything you get from a pre-packaged Keurig cup. My wife and I got a Keurig machine as a wedding gift, and even though I've always been particular about fresh coffee, we used it for the convenience. After that experience, there are several reasons I do NOT recommend it!
  • Most of the coffee tastes old, not to mention weak. We only found one brand that tasted good, but it had to be ordered online and shipped.
  • The accessories that allow you to use your own coffee grounds are inconvenient, and tend to either leak, leave grounds in your cup, or both.
  • The machines have terrible water pumps. We went through four machines in two years because the pumps kept failing and we had to keep exchanging for a replacement machine.

I could go on with more if I thought about it...but the water pump thing is the biggest reason I wouldn't recommend it.

I would go with John's suggestion -- a good grinder (burr grinder, not blade grinder) and really just about any coffeemaker. Or the combination machine.

And get a pound or two of freshly roasted whole bean coffee. See if you can find a place locally that roasts their coffee in house in small batches. Small-batch roasting leaves all the beans evenly roasted, compared to mass produced coffee where some beans are burnt and others are under roasted. (That's why coffee from some of the big companies is inconsistent -- sometimes you get a bag that tastes great, other times you get the same blend but it tastes burnt, because of the way it's roasted.)

If you don't have a local shop that roasts their own, look for Peet's coffee at a grocery store. They roast in small batches, and deliver their own product to the stores with a much shorter shelf life than the other brands, so you can always count on it being roasted recently.

If your husband REALLY likes a quality cup of coffee, you might also try a French press instead of a traditional coffee maker. Hands down the best tasting coffee I've ever had is the coffee I make in my French press.

(Is it obvious yet that I'm a coffee addict??)

11 years 5 months ago #260109 by John Landolfi

rmeyer7 wrote: :agree:
John is a man who knows his coffee!

Freshly ground coffee will definitely taste far better than anything you get from a pre-packaged Keurig cup. My wife and I got a Keurig machine as a wedding gift, and even though I've always been particular about fresh coffee, we used it for the convenience. After that experience, there are several reasons I do NOT recommend it!

• Most of the coffee tastes old, not to mention weak. We only found one brand that tasted good, but it had to be ordered online and shipped.
  • The accessories that allow you to use your own coffee grounds are inconvenient, and tend to either leak, leave grounds in your cup, or both.
  • The machines have terrible water pumps. We went through four machines in two years because the pumps kept failing and we had to keep exchanging for a replacement machine.

I could go on with more if I thought about it...but the water pump thing is the biggest reason I wouldn't recommend it.

I would go with John's suggestion -- a good grinder (burr grinder, not blade grinder) and really just about any coffeemaker. Or the combination machine.

And get a pound or two of freshly roasted whole bean coffee. See if you can find a place locally that roasts their coffee in house in small batches. Small-batch roasting leaves all the beans evenly roasted, compared to mass produced coffee where some beans are burnt and others are under roasted. (That's why coffee from some of the big companies is inconsistent -- sometimes you get a bag that tastes great, other times you get the same blend but it tastes burnt, because of the way it's roasted.)

If you don't have a local shop that roasts their own, look for Peet's coffee at a grocery store. They roast in small batches, and deliver their own product to the stores with a much shorter shelf life than the other brands, so you can always count on it being roasted recently.

If your husband REALLY likes a quality cup of coffee, you might also try a French press instead of a traditional coffee maker. Hands down the best tasting coffee I've ever had is the coffee I make in my French press.

(Is it obvious yet that I'm a coffee addict??)

:goodpost: I use a french press in the morning, and an espresso maker in the afternoon. I recommended the Cuisinart for convenience as well as a well made machine that brews consistently (my daughter uses one). I recommend again Costco, if you have access. The volume of their sales ensurfes the coffee is fresh, and their Guatemala is more than just good.

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #260145 by Vespista
:agree:
and if he's really into his coffee, he probably enjoys the process as well. I have a lever-style La Pavoni, fully manual espresso machine. Retro styling, totally reliable, every cup is different because you can make it different every time. Looks great in the kitchen too. I've had it for around 20 years now, been reconditioned once, it stays on all afternoon. Must have had 10,000 espressos through it. Brilliant!

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #260322 by rmeyer7
I do have a Costco membership, I'll have to try their Guatemala coffee. Most of my favorite coffees are South American, so that sounds like a great one to try. I've never had anything as good as the coffee I bought in Nicaragua, but lots of other South American varieties are great too.

Also agree that Cuisinart's quality is great.

11 years 5 months ago #260334 by John Landolfi
You seem to enjoy your coffe as much as I do. May I encourage you to try roasting your own? I get my hardware and beans from Sweet Maria's, an Oakland e-mail seller where the varieties of beans available is amazing, and the service first-rate. Right now, I have three kinds of Guatemala, in addition to Ethiopian and Sumatra. Great fun! :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #260342 by mlotziii
I hear this year camera accessories are the hot gift :unsure:

CAP GORILLA - Camera Lens Cap Holder
Order NOW: www.CapGorilla.com/order

11 years 5 months ago #260532 by rmeyer7

John Landolfi wrote: You seem to enjoy your coffe as much as I do. May I encourage you to try roasting your own? I get my hardware and beans from Sweet Maria's, an Oakland e-mail seller where the varieties of beans available is amazing, and the service first-rate. Right now, I have three kinds of Guatemala, in addition to Ethiopian and Sumatra. Great fun! :cheers:

I've kicked around the idea of roasting at home once or twice, but never seriously looked into it. I think maybe I should do some more research and possibly give it a shot. Does it make a big difference whether you go with a drum, air, or stovetop roaster?

11 years 5 months ago #260543 by John Landolfi
It does. I use a hot air roaster, my foray into this, to try and see if it was worth it. I think definitely yes for me. Learnign is relatively easy, two or three tries will get you there, and you will be astonished at the aroma and flavor you get compared to even the best store-bought pre-roasted beans. The I-home unit I have is inexpensive, but offers limited and not very precise control over the roast. It is very noisy, to the point that you can't hear the cracking sound that indicates the roasting stage. You have to pretty much use their presets, but, as I said, I've been using one for 2 years, and I'm drinking the best coffee ever. I'm ready for a drum roaster, and I'll be upgrading soon. Visit the Sweet Maria site, and you'll get a good idea of what getting into this entails. Let me know if you give it a try! :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #260563 by icepics
I don't know if I'd want to get into roasting coffee, but I do sometimes grind my own - love the smell of it! If you're husband's a coffee lover he might like some equipment like a grinder or others that have been mentioned, and maybe some specialty coffees. There are places in my area where you can get whole bean or they'll grind it for you - either way it's a nice treat sometimes (none of the ones locally sell online). A friend of mine does have the Keurig but I wouldn't like that system where it seems like you can only get what works with that type coffee maker.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024