The Coffee Shop: A place to relax and hang out.

5 years 2 months ago #628110 by Chuck Liley
Holy mother of juiciness!  That piece of meat looks so delicious!!!

Do you ever smoke your meat at all?  I just picked up a Charbroiler and need to start using it.  Complete rookie for smoking stuff.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #628205 by GaryA

Chuck Liley wrote: Holy mother of juiciness!  That piece of meat looks so delicious!!!

Do you ever smoke your meat at all?  I just picked up a Charbroiler and need to start using it.  Complete rookie for smoking stuff.  

Buenos Dias Fellow Photography Talkers. Yes Gary smokes.  The best tool Gary found for cooking has been an insta-read thermometer. Gary uses it on everything.

Gary use a dedicated electric smoker as opposed a multipurpose BBQ.  Gary has an Egg (BBQ), which smokes well ... but not as well as the 'lectric.  The thing with smoking is to get a balance between the heat required to produce smoke and the heat require for cooking. Here's the rub ... good, deep smoking takes a long time ... but the temp required for smoke is pretty hot so it cooks the meat relatively quickly.  So you have to maintain that balance between smoke production and slow cooking.  Thermometers, for Gary, are the easiest road to get that balance. Gary's dedicated smoker has a sidecar for smoke production.  Sooooo, Gary has high heat for smoke which is completely separated from the meat, which is being slow cook at a much cooler temp.  The smoke is piped into the meat compartment. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 months ago #628207 by GaryA
@ Chuck:  Which particular BBQ did you purchase?

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

5 years 2 months ago #628209 by GaryA
PS- The thermometer also helps to replicate your cooking results every single time.  Prior to using thermometers, Gary was over cooking everything.  There are thermometers that will register the ambient temp of the oven/bbq and the temp of the food in real time.  Some will even bluetooth the info to your phone.

5 years 2 months ago #628232 by Beth Anderson

Chuck Liley wrote: Holy mother of juiciness!  That piece of meat looks so delicious!!!

:agree:  I'm getting SOOOO hungry and I just ate!  :side:

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628254 by Jason Stevens
Oh yeah, that sounds delish right about now.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628275 by Pierce Steenken
when you smoke your meat, try putting a can of beer in there too.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628395 by GaryA

Pierce Steenken wrote: when you smoke your meat, try putting a can of beer in there too.  

You gotta have some liquid in there.  Gary usually uses apple cider vinegar, but beer works also.

5 years 2 months ago #628396 by GaryA
Man, this has turned into a cooking show.  What else are you all doin' out there.  How about you peoples in the path of the Polar Express ... how are you guys doin' ... your pipes?

5 years 2 months ago #628398 by GaryA
Out here, we won't break 70F today ... Gary is planning to whip up some bread and maybe a chicken pot pie ... comfort food for the cold.

5 years 2 months ago #628437 by Kenya See
Homemade?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628440 by GaryA

Kenya See wrote: Homemade?  

Of course. 

5 years 2 months ago #628451 by GaryA
Gary is so beat.  Gary has just returned from four and a half hour shoot.  It was a theatrical production of Beauty and the Beast.  Gary was on his feet the entire time, except for a five minute break. Gary was shooting with three cameras, a XT2 w/ 50-140 f/2.8, XP2 w/ 10-24 f/4 and a XP1 w/ 8mm f/2 (fish).  This was the dress rehearsal and Gary was allowed on stage where he was constantly moving and shooting the entire time.  Gary back is killing him. Gary is finally home, dumped his gear in a pile and gulped down some ibuprofen.

5 years 2 months ago #628630 by Eric A
You and me both!  I'm so ready for tomorrow night to get here.  I'm going to sleep in!

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #628642 by GaryA

Eric A wrote: You and me both!  I'm so ready for tomorrow night to get here.  I'm going to sleep in!

Tomorrow night Gary has Sir Elton John.  :)  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024