Will today's actors become icons?

13 years 4 weeks ago #38621 by jennyjohn52
Most probably saw on the internet the news that Elizabeth Taylor passed away last night/this morning. Other than Kirk Douglas, she's about the last of the "super stars" of the mid 1900s. It seems they were bigger than life then - stars like Henry Fonda, John Wayne, Clark Gable, Katharine Hepburn and, yes, Elizabeth Taylor.

Maybe it's just my age, but it doesn't seem like today's stars have that "super star" quality. Who among today's actors - under 40 - have that "John Wayne / Katherine Hepburn" persona? Will any of today's stars pass the test of time?

And I certainly don't think the movies of today will be the classics that movies in the 30s, 40s and 50s were. What's the next "Gone With The Wind" for instance?

How about anyone else? Agree? Disagree? For me, I mourn the passing of an age of glitz and glamour and movie studio moguls and super stars.

13 years 4 weeks ago #38644 by Baydream
I agree with you.
Sadly, today stars come and go so fast. A few hang around and even act like human beings. Those might be remembered.
Some of the ones destined for "greatness" have shown a propensity for doing really dumb stuff, tarnishing their star.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago #38652 by Scotty
Chevy chase, tom hanks, bill murray, sean connery, morgan freeman, clint eastwood, Arnold.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago #38654 by Scotty
Movies becoming classic, terminator 2, national lampoons christmas vacation, shawshank redemption, forrest gump, dark knight, matrix, american history X, tombstone, avatar.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago #38655 by Scotty
I disagree with you guys, movie stars and movies are bigger then ever.

Back then it was new and wasnt as prevelant. You even have pop music stars like lady gaga thats been bigger than any star pretty much in history.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 weeks ago #38736 by Stealthy Ninja
Joaquin Phoenix
13 years 4 weeks ago #39003 by jennyjohn52
Reply to Scotty:

Scotty, you'll notice in my original post I said actors UNDER THE AGE OF 40. I agree, the ones you mentioned are pretty remarkable. And none of them has seen their 40th birthday in many a year. I believe Sean Connery, Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood are all in the 70s.

13 years 4 weeks ago - 13 years 4 weeks ago #39005 by jennyjohn52
Another reply to Scotty.

I wouldn't know Lady Gaga if she rang my doorbell. And I wouldn't know her music, either. In my age group, I don't know many who would.

But, thanks for taking the time to make the posts. I really get a kick out of starting a thread that gets lots of comments - both pro and con. Keep your opinions coming, everyone, please.

13 years 4 weeks ago #39022 by Yasko
I think Johnny Depp will reach "film Icon" status in the future (though most teens and twentysomethings already regard him as such). I think he's a bit over rated though. Some actors are simply amazing, but never become a household name, like Daniel Day-Lewis.

13 years 3 weeks ago #39333 by Scotty

jennyjohn52 wrote: Reply to Scotty:

Scotty, you'll notice in my original post I said actors UNDER THE AGE OF 40. I agree, the ones you mentioned are pretty remarkable. And none of them has seen their 40th birthday in many a year. I believe Sean Connery, Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood are all in the 70s.

Very true.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #39334 by Scotty

jennyjohn52 wrote: Another reply to Scotty.

I wouldn't know Lady Gaga if she rang my doorbell. And I wouldn't know her music, either. In my age group, I don't know many who would.

But, thanks for taking the time to make the posts. I really get a kick out of starting a thread that gets lots of comments - both pro and con. Keep your opinions coming, everyone, please.

True, I think where I was going with it is, with technology...comes the possibility to be seen in more places.

It's gotten to the point where sites like twitter let you know news, before the news organizations do. Stars now are bigger than ever because technology allows them to be. If they carry the same charisma is another story. :O

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #39421 by loki
I agree, I think Johnny Depp may reach iconic status. Also, Leonardo Di Caprio, although I don't personally care for him, I think will be a major star.

Where I think the industry is lacking is in the movie scripts, themselves. They rely on special effects and glitz more than strong story lines to grab audiences.

13 years 3 weeks ago #39484 by Stealthy Ninja
Who cares anyway, let's all just watch Megan Fox!
13 years 3 weeks ago #39487 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Who cares anyway, let's all just watch Megan Fox!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #39729 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Who cares anyway, let's all just watch Megan Fox!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'll even forgive her freaky looking thumbs. :drool:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024