Why Did You Choose Photography?

13 years 4 months ago #8179 by razz
I thought this would be a fun topic to start..... Why did you choose photography? Out of all of the other hobbies out there, why were you drawn to photography?:cheer:

13 years 4 months ago #8200 by bhowdy
It chose me

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

The following user(s) said Thank You: kellimatz
13 years 4 months ago #8313 by Joves

bhowdy wrote: It chose me

Pretty much my case. Actually I was born into it. Grandfather was a shutterbug and I got that gene. I have several photophiles in the family and one videographer. I started when I was 9 when my grandpa gave me one of his old 120 box cameras, I was doomed ever since.

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #8321 by Karl Wertanen
Wow, that 's a good topic!

Well, it goes back to being a kid i guess and loving it outdoors in the natural environment. It started when i'd look through all the scenic calenders and books at all the unbelievable places, mountain-scapes, waterfalls, lakes, forests, green and golden fields, early morning and late evening sky's, autumn colors, and snow storms. I always would look through those and dream about going to those places and witnessing it first hand. I had the creative gene and the traveling gene passed down to me from my family. Many of my family members are into some sort of creative art and love travel. So having those genes allowed me to appreciate the adventure of travel and the art of how subjects were placed and arranged into the frame of the photo, recording all the variances of light, creating order out of a "natural" chaos, and the ability to appreciate how the lens could create a certain creative depth in a landscape. The world we live in is an naturally beautiful place and photography helps me see it, appreciate it, and enjoy some of the smaller things in life.

Photography is also kind of a personal emotion for me tied to family and childhood as well. Back when i was a kid my parents were still together, we were happy, and life was good. When i dig back to those memories, the sky was always a deep blue, the clouds fluffy and white, the grass a saturated green, and the sun gave everything a golden glow to it. There was nothing but happiness and no kind of anxiety or stress. So it's also kind of a personal yearning for the way things used to be and a creative way for me to recreate parts of those emotions and experiences. Photography is a creative way i can express those emotions while still being tied to some sort of present tense visual reality. To me, other arts like painting or drawing just just cant create the reality that photography can while still being able to take you somewhere magical. Photography is an amazing stress reliever, a personal experience, a creative release, and a piece of my soul. I love it!

Oh yea, and it's a much better high than some drug induced false reality.

Good topic! I'm glad you asked :)

Karl Wertanen
13 years 4 months ago #8348 by robpix4u2
My dad was an avid landscape photographer. I would accompany him on his shoots and sort of fell into my own photography about age 9. It seems that I have always had a camera in my hands even if it was just a simple point and shoot. Now I shoot Minor pro hockey ( ECHL ) for the online magazine www.prohockeynews.com and have a blast doing it. I still enjoy landscape ,portrait and animal photography but sports is my first love. I retired from my first career and would like to make shootiing pix my next one.

13 years 4 months ago #8376 by 1965 Roger
My daughter is pretty big in photography. She is always out going on hikes and such searching for that next winning photo. So I've decided to pick up a camera and now I can share some good times with my little girl. Plus my wife suggested this as a good outlet to spend less time working.

13 years 4 months ago #8526 by Street Shark
What's not to like about photography?!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8904 by Stealthy Ninja
I always liked visual art and have studied film and television.

It was a natural next step. :D
13 years 4 months ago #9312 by Jeffster
When you think about it, most of us grew up around someone with a camera. So long story short, photography was just something that evolved from a point and shoot to a DSLR for me. And one of my favorite hobbies.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9315 by Scotty
Pros told me to do it.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #9766 by Dave Burburry

Scotty wrote: Pros told me to do it.

You must be good!

As for me, I just needed a new hobby and I always enjoyed taking photos.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #9775 by Scotty

Dave Burburry wrote:

Scotty wrote: Pros told me to do it.

You must be good!

As for me, I just needed a new hobby and I always enjoyed taking photos.

Always a good one. It's an expensive hobby though! lol

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #9786 by luckywish1
i choose photography because it is my passion i follow my passion it is my dream to be a photography too

13 years 3 months ago #9876 by canon4me
I took a photography class in high school...then had 7children(lol got married first).. tons of Kodak moments, then kept getting better camera's that did more than the previous one.

13 years 3 months ago #9884 by Scotty

canon4me wrote: I took a photography class in high school...then had 7children(lol got married first).. tons of Kodak moments, then kept getting better camera's that did more than the previous one.

7 children? You have a lot of kids to take pictures of ;)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024