Taking photos of lightning, how are you all doing it?

12 years 6 months ago #136285 by Kenya See
Holy moly some of the lightning photos are so amazing. I have tried taking them and they never turn out good? What is the secret to getting these shots? When it's dark out, what are you setting your shutter and aperture? How about ISO?

Are you using a wide angle or tele zoom of some sort?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #136294 by MLKstudios
Like most things in photography, those are all variables.

It will depend how bright the sky is, how far away you are, how bright is the lightning.

The idea behind any lightning photos, is to have the shutter open during a strike. You can also include multiple strikes.

Usually a low ISO, as you will be using a really slow shutter speed -- many use BULB so they can open and close the shutter when they like.

An ap between f/4 and f/8 is often a good start. You may have to adjust it if your pics come out too light or too dark. A lot of this requires experimenting during the shoot.

Anything you do, you will get better at eventually.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #136301 by Kenya See
Thank you for the information, any idea on how long to keep shutter open if in bulb mode? If you just leave it open hoping for a strike, won't the photo be over exposed if shutter is left open?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #136303 by MLKstudios

Kenya See wrote: Thank you for the information, any idea on how long to keep shutter open if in bulb mode? If you just leave it open hoping for a strike, won't the photo be over exposed if shutter is left open?

It's mostly luck. Being in the right place at the right time, with the shutter open.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #136313 by Alex
So there are a couple ways you can go about this. I'm a fan of the path with least resistance. So my recommendations would be to pick up a Lightning Trigger by "Stepping Stone Products". They are a vendor on the site and I personally use one of their triggers.

Good example. This weekend my mother came down from Tennessee to visit. Her, her husband, my fiancee and myself all went down to the pier to walk around. Of course my mother and I brought our camera gear. What is funny, as I was figuring out what gear to bring I tossed in my Lightning Trigger thinking we might see some action. Good call!

When we got down to the ocean on the horizon there was indeed some nice lightning going on. I set up my tripod raced to pull out my Lightning Trigger, moved my camera to complete manual. Shutter at 2 seconds, aperture at f/9 and I kept my ISO at 200. From there the trigger did all the hard work. Every time lightning went off, my shutter fired.

This shot was taken with a 300mm f/2.8, I messed around with the shot in photoshop afterwards.

Now my mother set up her camera gear and it's a little more challenging to get the lightning shots with out a trigger. We moved her shutter to 4, to 5 to 8 seconds, each time adjusting the aperture and ISO depending on how the shot turned out. With a completely hands on manual process, we kept hitting her shutter one after another after another. This turns into a game of chance and luck.

At then end, if you are serious about getting shots of lightning. I would recommend the easier path with the lightning trigger. :thumbsup:

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anands
12 years 6 months ago #136319 by Kenya See
Oh wow, thank you both for all the information!

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #136336 by WhoShotYaPhotography
If there are objects in the foreground ill get my exposure for them n under expose a little. I like to use long exposures usually 30 sec and just aim in the direction of the most frequent strikes. Im in Miami so we get a lot lol. I also like to use a trick that I use for fireworks. If doing a long exposure with multiple stikes...to keep from blowing out the foreground ill take a black square beer coaster (or an index card or cardboard) and cover the lens for a few seconds at a time in the 30 sec exposure to keep from blowing out the foreground.The picture below....after the strike i covered the lens cause the strike was so close and bright.....if i didnt cover it the building would have been blown out and over exposed. Hope this helps :)

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #136364 by The Equalizer
Seeing these shots makes me want to get into taking shots of lightning :thumbsup:

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." Ansel Adams.
12 years 6 months ago #136369 by MLKstudios
One thing I forgot to mention...

Manually focus at infinity, then leave the lens alone. The lightning (or lack of) will confuse AF.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #136836 by Freshstart
Alex are there any PT coupon codes for those lightning triggers?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #137217 by SJM

WhoShotYaPhotography wrote: If there are objects in the foreground ill get my exposure for them n under expose a little. I like to use long exposures usually 30 sec and just aim in the direction of the most frequent strikes. Im in Miami so we get a lot lol. I also like to use a trick that I use for fireworks. If doing a long exposure with multiple stikes...to keep from blowing out the foreground ill take a black square beer coaster (or an index card or cardboard) and cover the lens for a few seconds at a time in the 30 sec exposure to keep from blowing out the foreground.The picture below....after the strike i covered the lens cause the strike was so close and bright.....if i didnt cover it the building would have been blown out and over exposed. Hope this helps :)

That is crazy shot!

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #137282 by Cre8tivefix
Sorry... managed to double post. Please ignore. LOL
:banana: :banana: :banana:

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #137296 by Cre8tivefix
I just set up the tripod, infinity focus, shutter around 6 seconds, iso low, aperture around 6, and fire fire fire. LOL But I'm still learning and the previous examples given kick my butt.

I have trouble getting away from the trees here.

Edited to fix photo, Thanks MLK

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #137452 by MLKstudios
Cre8, check that the attached image is under 2mb (resizing a JPEG to 800 pixels, or so, works well) and also turn your left hand 180 degrees, clockwise. You'll find it easier to hold steady and to manipulate the controls on your lens.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #137686 by Cre8tivefix

MLKstudios wrote: Cre8, check that the attached image is under 2mb (resizing a JPEG to 800 pixels, or so, works well) and also turn your left hand 180 degrees, clockwise. You'll find it easier to hold steady and to reach the controls on your lens.

Sorry... I thought I had removed the attachment before posting (I was being lazy and didn't feel like resizing) But apparently it tried anyway. I'll go back and fix that.

About the moving my hand. I will have to try that next time. That particular shot was kind of posed.... I'm holding the dismantled camera together with one hand, and holding the unmounted projector lens in front with the other. It didn't have any controls. LOL But I Love the advice for my real lenses. I've always been a little awkward with that. Thanks

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024