Moon

12 years 7 months ago #139986 by nlbroms
How to take pictures of the moon? I have tried so many things and just can't seem to obtain any detail. What am I doing wrong?

How I See It - Photography by Nicole Broms
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #139988 by MLKstudios
ISO 400, f/4 to f/8 (depending on shutter speed and moon brightness), manual focus at infinity, aim at the moon.

If you have a long lens, that will help. You might also want to add a tripod with a lower ISO, but don't use too slow of a shutter speed. It's moving.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #140021 by rmeyer7
I personally had better luck with lower ISO and a tripod. But I agree, don't use too slow of a shutter speed. Just a couple stops too slow for handheld :)

12 years 7 months ago #140039 by Dori

MLKstudios wrote: ISO 400, f/4 to f/8 (depending on shutter speed and moon brightness), manual focus at infinity, aim at the moon.

If you have a long lens, that will help. You might also want to add a tripod with a lower ISO, but don't use too slow of a shutter speed. It's moving.

How would you photograph the moon in motion on one frame, what settings? Would it harm the sensor? Is it even possible? Thanks

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #140048 by MLKstudios
I've never harmed a sensor. Not sure it's possible. Though the lens is like a magnifying glass, and it theoretically could burn some ants.

The Moon and the Earth are both moving, so a locked in tripod will blur with too slow of a shutter speed. As Roy (rmeyer7) said, if you are close to a handheld shutter speed with your tripod, you won't notice blur 'cause they are moving so slow.

The Moon is actually pretty bright, and with clear skies it can be photographed hand held. Try ISO 400, f/4 and see what shutter speed you get.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #140053 by Dori
Mmmm, will have to do some experimenting...

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 7 months ago #140055 by chasrich
My moon solution is to spot expose the shot right on the moon. Here is one from this morning - handheld while waiting for the sunrise to develop.

I have others taken before the spot exposure was deployed but it is just a white dot in a sea of dark blue sky...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #140056 by Baydream
Good point about spot exposure, Charles.

Just playing around Saturday night, I got this with a 70/300 IS at 300mm, ISO 1600, 1/200, f/25, handheld leaning against a railing for support.

A tripod would have been better.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #142841 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #142845 by chasrich

effron wrote:

Great detail... this was shot from the space shuttle right? :woohoo:

:judge: :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #142847 by Pixelchix
This one was shot at 1/400, f9, 640iso. 270mm. Cropped of course;) hand held

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #142931 by effron

chasrich wrote:

effron wrote:

Great detail... this was shot from the space shuttle right? :woohoo:

:judge: :thumbsup:

What was the give away? I thought I cloned out all of the space junk trailing behind.......B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024