RAW+Jpeg

12 years 6 months ago #141479 by Jeannie_Cee
What should I know about shooting in RAW+Jpeg mode for a wedding I have in October. Everyone says it is best to shoot in RAW especially when you have to post process and losing quality in the photos. My other concern is I have a 4gb cf card and 3 1gb cards so I assume I will have enough memory if I shoot in that mode and not RAW alone?

I only every shoot in jpeg mode. Would appreciate some advice from others.
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #141481 by MLKstudios
First thing is to get a bunch of 8GB or larger cards. You'll need them.

RAW is a much larger file than a JPEG, because it contains data for each and every pixel the sensor captured. It also has the EXIF data the camera records along with it. That includes a date and time stamp, all the camera settings, and a whole lot more.

The EXIF is only a word file, so it isn't that big. However, it is important later. It tells the computer how to display the RAW data on your screen.

The advantage in post, is you can re-write the EXIF portion of the file and not touch one hair of the image portion. An example, is the white balance. It's recorded as two numbers (Kelvin and tint) that you can simply change. No harm comes to the picture part, and the computer will display the image with a new white balance.

I'd suggest you get a trial of Lightroom (many pros use it for RAW editing), and practice editing RAW files. Eventually, you will be able to re-write the EXIF data for a group of images, and do so VERY quickly. It makes processing 1000 images at a time possible.

HTH :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeannie_Cee
12 years 6 months ago #141482 by McBeth Photography
First of all .....:welcomeclan

Shooting RAW + jpeg has an advantage because as long as the white balance is correct, you can the smaller jpeg files for reference while editing the raw file. It does eat memory though.

Again, welcome to the site!

Barry

It is what it is.
12 years 6 months ago #141484 by Jeannie_Cee
Thank you. I am using Lightroom. I will do a test run while shooting in RAW and Jpeg before the wedding.

What I would like to know is once I have downloaded the images and imported them into Lightroom do I just edit as normal. Do I need to save the files to a jpeg or does it do it for me.

Sorry to seem so ignorant. It's only recent that I do this for a small living.
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #141485 by MLKstudios
No need for the JPEG. When you edit a RAW it is done non-destructively. You can always return to the original.

In Lr, we use Export at the very end of editing to create a JPEG for web or print. You'll then have your edited RAW + a perfect JPEG.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #141491 by Stealthy Ninja
First, there's a few threads on RAW vs Jpeg already:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...re-starting-a-thread

2nd BUY A BIGGER CARD!!111 :pinch:

Seriously, 4GB is nothing these days especially for a wedding. You're getting paid to do it? If so you owe it to them to have enough card space (and skills).

I'm not judging or anything (and please don't take this the wrong was as I do not mean to offend), but it seems you're a bit of a beginner. You sure you're ready for weddings? Weddings are one of the most difficult events you can shoot. You might want to try it a few times as a second shooter (less pressure) before you step into it on your own.

You could be biting off more than you can chew.
12 years 6 months ago #141511 by photobod

Stealthy Ninja wrote: First, there's a few threads on RAW vs Jpeg already:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...re-starting-a-thread

2nd BUY A BIGGER CARD!!111 :pinch:

Seriously, 4GB is nothing these days especially for a wedding. You're getting paid to do it? If so you owe it to them to have enough card space (and skills).

I'm not judging or anything (and please don't take this the wrong was as I do not mean to offend), but it seems you're a bit of a beginner. You sure you're ready for weddings? Weddings are one of the most difficult events you can shoot. You might want to try it a few times as a second shooter (less pressure) before you step into it on your own.

You could be biting off more than you can chew.

It needed to be said Adrian :agree: :agree: :agree:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #141515 by chasrich
:agree: +1

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #141525 by Jeannie_Cee
No not offended at all. I have done weddings with a pro before and in all honesty I live in a very small town and to gain advice and knowledge is scarce. It just doesn't exisit The person I did a wedding with is ok. I would not use his services myself. I don't like his photos.

I have done 5 weddings so far on my own and all very happy clients so yes I am new to this business. I am busy with a course as well. Why I was asking is because I have no one to ask about this and I want to improve my game as much as possible. I basically need to know that once I have shot in RAW mode and downloaded the photos what do I do next. Is it simple in LR room as it sounds or is there anything I should be warned about.

And where I come from people are more concerned about quantity over quality. They don't care how a photo looks. They just want to know how cheap a service is. I don't want that. I love photography and I want to make it worth my while because I like the outcome of my photos.

And just for the record, I only shoot in Manual mode. Everyone can be a photographer these days with a fancy camera. I don't want to be like that. I want to know everything.
12 years 6 months ago #141547 by Baydream
I admire your aspirations. I often add jpeg to the RAW and the jpeg doesn't add a tremendous amount of space BUT do buy some larger cards. RAW can "eat" a 1 GB card very quickly.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #141551 by robbie
I`m in complete agreement with the others get bigger cards....1gb cards..please!!Just teasing but at least 4gb if you are afraid
of losing your images.here is a great deal for you....
www.adorama.com/IDS8GBUC2152.html
Goodluck on the wedding shoot.

12 years 6 months ago #141572 by Jeannie_Cee
Cameras should all come standard with only RAW lol...B)

I don't know what I am scared of. I have Lightroom so let's do this.
12 years 6 months ago #141581 by Henry Peach
Do you have the Digital Photography (er?) Pro software that came with your camera? If not I think it can be downloaded free from the Canon website.

In DPP you can open a raw file, and then set the parameters and picture style just like your camera, and DPP will process a jpeg just like in it had been done in the camera. So you can shoot raw only, and make in-camera jpegs later. That would save a bit of space. Then again I agree with the others: memory is cheap. Buy at least 8gb more.
12 years 6 months ago #141582 by robbie

Jeannie_Cee wrote: Cameras should all come standard with only RAW lol...B)

I don't know what I am scared of. I have Lightroom so let's do this.

Yep,that`s the spirit!!Just don`t blast your way thru...just flow thru.Piece of cake!!

12 years 6 months ago #141585 by chulupa2
I shoot all my photos in RAW format then save to JPG later after I process them.. But I do agree you will need a bigger card ( I have a 12 g card and can only get a few hundred pics on it.. I use a 4g for my backup) I use Adobe Bridge for viewing my photos and it opens Camera RAW for Canon then when I'm done it takes the photos straight to Photoshop... I hope this helps.. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024