Photography Tip: Photographing Lightning!

13 years 3 months ago #15222 by PhotographyTalk
Living in California we doing see to much lightning. I've only had one opportunity to shoot lighting and my results were horrible. Since that I've done a little research and watched a number of video's and this one happens to be one of my favorites. Watch it a few times, take some notes and when lightning strikes you will be ready!

In this video he breaks it down to 8 steps, and they are:

1. Shoot in Manual mode
2. Set shutter to 30 second
3. Set aperture to f/10
4. Set ISO to 100 or lowest setting
5. Shoot in RAW mode
6. Set your focus to manual and focus just shy of infinity
7. Use a side angle lens
8. Put the camera on Tripod

Here is the video, enjoy!

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #15307 by Stealthy Ninja
Sorry double post, see post below.
13 years 3 months ago #15308 by Stealthy Ninja
Generally speaking he's right, but it depends where you're shooting. I've shot lightening often over the city and the settings are different because of the ambient light. I used a shorter shutter speed basically (I think 4 seconds) and took more photos.

15 minutes later:
13 years 3 months ago #15398 by Alex

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Generally speaking he's right, but it depends where you're shooting. I've shot lightening often over the city and the settings are different because of the ambient light. I used a shorter shutter speed basically (I think 4 seconds) and took more photos.

15 minutes later:

I'm so jealous! I wish we had more lightning here! Great shot bro! I think this is a fantastic photo. Ninja, do you have a gallery set up here? Please upload some of your work. Thank you!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #15410 by Stealthy Ninja

Alex wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Generally speaking he's right, but it depends where you're shooting. I've shot lightening often over the city and the settings are different because of the ambient light. I used a shorter shutter speed basically (I think 4 seconds) and took more photos.

15 minutes later:

I'm so jealous! I wish we had more lightning here! Great shot bro! I think this is a fantastic photo. Ninja, do you have a gallery set up here? Please upload some of your work. Thank you!

I have a flickr. Honestly I haven't been shooting lately as I've had a bit of a bad back. Now that's clearing up I should start shooting more.
13 years 3 months ago #15584 by crystal
I've been shooting lightning for years now and barely get a good shot. I have a couple of decent shots. The problem is, we don't get good lightning storms here. I always use BULB and my remote. Every time there is a storm coming, I run outside to get some shots. Of course my husband is feared for my life as I will stand in the storm. lol I don't try to stand in the storm, it's just when I take notice the storm is here. lol

Last summer I had the chance to take so many lightning shots but it didn't work out. My husband's grandmother died and his grandparents live in OK. So, husband, I, MIL and SIL all drove down in one car. It was about 11pm, hubby was driving and all of a sudden lightning storm hit. I wanted so bad to get out of the car and take pictures. It was the kind of lightning that hits every 10-20secs straight across the sky. I was shooting like hell in the car, which I only got one good shot. My husband said he would have stopped if it was just him and I and we weren't on a time schedule. I know he would have too, because it was the perfect setting. The storm was big. So I could have gotten shots of lightning in an open field and over looking the city. We were driving through Indianapolis and a lightning came down and appear to hit a building. I so wanted to get out of the car and shoot.

In the meantime, my husband is also enjoy the display and my MIL and SIL who were sleeping, but got woken up from the bright flashes, just wish to get out of the storm ASAP. lol
13 years 3 months ago #15611 by Tuscany

15 minutes later:

That's a pretty nice shot!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #15804 by Yasko
Likewise, lightning's rare here. The bolts are sporatic and I always have to take tons of shots to get a decent capture. This is probably my luckiest one, two major bolts intersecting within a 30 second capture

I wonder what place in the US has the most electrical activity - Florida?

13 years 3 months ago #15938 by bhowdy
Yep ... It's Florida in the U.S. Looks like central Africa for the world wide winner!

Lightning Strikes

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago #16047 by Joves
Well since my D300 only has ISO 200 as its lowest native ISO and I dont push into the Lo modes, I use Neutral Density filters to get longer exposures depending upon the lighting ofcourse. I havent been trying to catch lightning the past couple of years but may try this season because we do get alot of dry storms here and many times like over the Painted Desert area you can shoot them from a good distance where the storm is lit by the sun from the back. But an ND helps when it is a bright storm.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024