Photography Tip: Long exposure tutorial with Scott Kelby

12 years 5 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #153046 by PhotographyTalk

The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinA65, msmotors, nazardhiab
12 years 5 months ago #153077 by MLKstudios
Clear enough, but he didn't explain why (or how) he came up with a 2 minute exposure.

Was a lucky guess, I guess. ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 5 months ago #153079 by chasrich
Nice one... :judge:

Mathew, I'm thinking that he used that magical video tool of trying it before hand then rolling tape... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #153160 by MLKstudios
He's got every pricey lens and body (and Profoto light) money can buy. And pro photog friends that will set up the lights (and take his light readings) for him.

He's taken some good pics with all that gear and money to travel, but sorry, but he hasn't paid his dues yet to make it into the pro book.

His travel photography is just that -- travel photography. It isn't journalism. He has no connection to his subjects. He's the rich white capitalist who takes advantage of them.

There's no heart or originality in any of his work. Just more pretty pictures. Fodder for his Flickr account.

JMO :)

Maybe his 2nd 100K will be better.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 5 months ago #153298 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: He's got every pricey lens and body (and Profoto light) money can buy. And pro photog friends that will set up the lights (and take his light readings) for him.

He's taken some good pics with all that gear and money to travel, but sorry, but he hasn't paid his dues yet to make it into the pro book.

His travel photography is just that -- travel photography. It isn't journalism. He has no connection to his subjects. He's the rich white capitalist who takes advantage of them.

There's no heart or originality in any of his work. Just more pretty pictures. Fodder for his Flickr account.

JMO :)

Maybe his 2nd 100K will be better.

He's shot for reuters and gettys a numerous amount of times. Has also been the biggest influence over digital photography and is critically acclaimed for his work.

You sound nuts.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #153305 by MLKstudios
Maybe a little. ;)

I'm an old film shooter with a different set of "masters". Not those created on the internet, but those with a sense of humanity. Who are NOT driven by greed.

If he offered his new iPad app for free, I'd give him a break. But getting his friends to write for him then taking credit for it. And THEN charging n00bs a fee to read it, is just wrong.

Like the camera, you learn about light and move on. It isn't the goal.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 5 months ago #153318 by icepics
Charles you might be right on that one! Maybe there was an explanation that wasn't in the video. I just know that while I may not know a lot yet about digital photography I could explain what I did in the darkroom and how I came up with the settings I used etc. (And if I didn't remember I'd look at the notes I kept at the time).

I was wondering what the point was of using a really really dense filter in the first place, til the end of the video and found out it was to get a picture of silky water. Other than that I didn't really figure out why you'd want a long exposure in broad daylight. Some more discussion or examples would be helpful.

I never heard of Scott Kelby except on this board so started looking up some of his info. and it seems to be more about photoshopping than taking pictures, at least what I've found so far. That to me is more of an editing technique.

Taking pictures for something like Getty isn't necessarily that meaningful, at least in sports Getty seems to have created a monopoly that makes them plenty of money but tends to restrict photographer's rights. I had the opportunity to meet an NHL team photographer and his choice was to work for Getty and work within their restrictions or lose his job. Sometimes things aren't all they seem to be.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #153320 by MLKstudios
He's good at teaching Photoshop. I've read some of his books -- he has a great sense of humor.

On the web, he has the "Midas touch" so many people follow him.

But what he teaches photographically is the wrong way to go. His method is to buy lots of gadgets and take pictures for fodder (or money). Nothing with heart.

I'll just call him Midas from now on, and those who are caught up in his Steve Jobs' Effect will know who I mean.

:)

BTW that same photo could be taken later in the day, and not require an expensive 9 stop B+W ND.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 5 months ago #153333 by Scotty

icepics wrote: Charles you might be right on that one! Maybe there was an explanation that wasn't in the video. I just know that while I may not know a lot yet about digital photography I could explain what I did in the darkroom and how I came up with the settings I used etc. (And if I didn't remember I'd look at the notes I kept at the time).

I was wondering what the point was of using a really really dense filter in the first place, til the end of the video and found out it was to get a picture of silky water. Other than that I didn't really figure out why you'd want a long exposure in broad daylight. Some more discussion or examples would be helpful.

I never heard of Scott Kelby except on this board so started looking up some of his info. and it seems to be more about photoshopping than taking pictures, at least what I've found so far. That to me is more of an editing technique.

Taking pictures for something like Getty isn't necessarily that meaningful, at least in sports Getty seems to have created a monopoly that makes them plenty of money but tends to restrict photographer's rights. I had the opportunity to meet an NHL team photographer and his choice was to work for Getty and work within their restrictions or lose his job. Sometimes things aren't all they seem to be.

Working for getty's means you have a top skill set, and you are consistant. Having restrictions is one of the reasons it has prestige.

Matt, calling somebody greedy because they are successful is a baseless quip.
Not all photography is based on journalism so stop bashing people that work outside of that realm.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #153340 by MLKstudios
Your new mantra, Scotty....

"Midas is good, Midas is good, Midas is good..."

Rinse and repeat.

After you get past the gear lust, and when you get to your second (or third) 100K, it'll begin to make sense.

Promise. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 5 months ago #153356 by icepics
That does look to be a pricey filter unless you'd be using it a lot. I don't live near any scenic mountain streams or anything that it would be much use for me. More info. on how else you might use an ND filter or on techniques that don't involve buying specific equipment would probably be more useful, but others might find it interesting or helpful.

Scotty the most I know about Getty is what has happened in sports, and was probably before you got into photography. From what I understand, a team photographer works for the team, not Getty. In hockey Getty contracted w/the NHL to provide 'road' photos, which makes sense as the team photographers don't usually travel w/the team. (Well they did back in the day of the Speed Graphics). Anyway a major issue from what I understand was Getty taking over 'providing' home photos that they really have nothing to do w/taking. And expecting the photographers to provide photos that any team in the league could use but weren't really compensating them for that type usage.

The nice thing in the minors is that when I was taking photos for marketing purposes, those photos were for the team (and what would I want w/pictures of dasher board ads anyway?). But beyond that they didn't restrict my ability to take photos or make money w/my images if I wanted to.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #153364 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: Your new mantra, Scotty....

"Midas is good, Midas is good, Midas is good..."

Rinse and repeat.

After you get past the gear lust, and when you get to your second (or third) 100K, it'll begin to make sense.

Promise. ;)

Being condescending doesn't change the fact that your off base.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #153366 by Scotty

icepics wrote: That does look to be a pricey filter unless you'd be using it a lot. I don't live near any scenic mountain streams or anything that it would be much use for me. More info. on how else you might use an ND filter or on techniques that don't involve buying specific equipment would probably be more useful, but others might find it interesting or helpful.

Scotty the most I know about Getty is what has happened in sports, and was probably before you got into photography. From what I understand, a team photographer works for the team, not Getty. In hockey Getty contracted w/the NHL to provide 'road' photos, which makes sense as the team photographers don't usually travel w/the team. (Well they did back in the day of the Speed Graphics). Anyway a major issue from what I understand was Getty taking over 'providing' home photos that they really have nothing to do w/taking. And expecting the photographers to provide photos that any team in the league could use but weren't really compensating them for that type usage.

The nice thing in the minors is that when I was taking photos for marketing purposes, those photos were for the team (and what would I want w/pictures of dasher board ads anyway?). But beyond that they didn't restrict my ability to take photos or make money w/my images if I wanted to.

Things have changed. Not talking about the past, my point is to be shooting for them says something about your skill set.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #153378 by MLKstudios
... or your access and your gear.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 5 months ago #153380 by icepics
I get what you mean, I just see the situation differently.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024