shooting jpeg or raw

13 years 6 months ago #1784 by aprileye
I have been using DSLRs for a couple of years now, and am wondering what are the differences between shooting jpg and shooting raw? I do know that raw files take up more hard disk space.

13 years 6 months ago #1854 by imit8er
Some photographers have a preference and a reason for it but I would say shoot in jpeg so you can fit more pictures on your memory card.

13 years 4 months ago #8241 by wagaboo
If you want a no nonsense approach, then use JPG BUT if you want total control over your photos in post processing then RAW is what you want . When I'm doing wildlife, scenery etc where the color contrasts are high then I use JPG

13 years 4 months ago #8275 by Nod
wagaboo has it right, you can do a lot more in post-processing with a raw file.

13 years 4 months ago #8287 by Screamin Scott
Think of a "raw" file as a negative....It has all of the pertinent data stored on it from when the shutter was snapped. Then a Jpg is like a print that you get from a photofinisher. What, you say the color wasn't right on the print? Neither was the sharpness?....Raw files are a lossless format whereas Jpegs are lossy. What that means in layman terms is that with a jpeg file, whenever you open it up, make an adjustment & save your work, the file is compressed & in the compression, loses some of the data. Do repeated adjustments over time & it can really affect the printed image. When you post process a raw file, the information being changed is kept in a seperate little "sidecar" file & the original data is kept intact....Practically speaking, raw files are more forgiving of errors you make as a photographer. They allow you more control over the finished product. Jpeg files are produced by the camera makers software algorithm (which you have some control over in the menu system on your camera)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8290 by Yasko
RAW just has better quality all around. Less noise, richer colors, more room for editing. Use it if you have the patience and software for editing, and you don't mind filling up a card more.

13 years 4 months ago #8309 by blindsquirrel
I am a relative newcomer, new to photography just about 1 yr now. I shoot a Canon EOS XSi using both Canon and Tamron lenses, and I shoot Raw almost exclusively. I also do a fair amount of HDR using Photomatix Pro. I like the post processing features and recently saved a shoot for a band when I forgot to switch the camera white balance to flash. I didn't realize my mistake until they came up in Canons Photo Pro program, where it was an easy correction. Yes, they are large files and I keep the raw images, converting to jpeg only when needed. The only time I'll take a corrected raw image into Photoshop is for some clean up features that are superior to what's available in the Canon program. I like to think of raw as film, it lets me tune my camera with out the original shot being pre-processed. When I see a pattern of corrections being made to the raw file, I go back to the camera and make adjustments. Outside of saving space on the card, I don't see any advantage to shooting jpeg vs. raw. I do think its subjective, and it just depends on your own comfort level. Don't be afraid to try something new, after all, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024