10 Items a Photographer Should Never Leave Home Without!

11 years 2 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #270177 by PhotographyTalk
A pretty common question I get asked on our Facebook Fan page is regarding what do I recommend when heading out into the field for landscape and nature photography. Now the list I'm sharing here is what personally I use and recommend. Most of the time when I get out, all my gear is on my back and I'm riding to location on my mountain bike. I'm a huge fan of the quality of the Specialized bikes. This bike is an Enduro SL Pro Carbon.

Here I am last summer:

1. Cleaning Kit: Often times I'm near the ocean or just out in the woods or desert and things get dirty, dusty, misty and all of the above! Having good camera and lens cleaning gear will save a ton of frustration and post processing time later!

Here are a few recommendations:

2. Spare Memory Cards: Unless your sporting a film camera, you better make sure you have at least a couple memory cards with you! :) These days cameras are taking much larger images and memory cards can fill quickly (Especially with Nikon D800), or accidents happen. If you have trekked up a mountain or drove hours to get on location, I'm sure your going to appreciate being prepared for a memory card mishap!

I'm a die hard SanDisk fan, so here are a few cards I would recommend:

3. PowerBars: You wouldn't leave the house with out batteries for your camera, well same thing applies here. Being hours away from civilization or stuck on location with out opportunity to break free to get some greasy McDonalds or 5 day old hot dogs rolling on the heat plate at 7'eleven :sick: , your stomach and digestive system will love you when you come prepared with some tasty and healthy PowerBars!

I change up frequently, but here are a few of my current favorites that I recommend:

4. Spare Batteries: So unless you've figured out how to power your camera, flashes and flashlights with a portable nuclear reactor or you have a solar powered battery charger (but then again, thats unnecessary weight), the simplest solution to this is to bring at least one extra set of batteries with you. I always have one extra camera battery, 4 AA and 2 AAA's in my bag to power everything from my Camera, Pocket Wizards, Cable Release and flash lights!

Recommended:

5. Tripod: When shooting landscapes, nighttime photos, or just in general when slow shutter speeds will be used this is a given, however sometimes over looked when packing gear. Personally I'll usually have 2 tripods (large and small) with me for a couple reasons: One for each camera or If I'm using my Dynamic Perception time lapse dolly... I need two for support.

Now I've tested a number of tripods over the years, there are plenty of good options. These are what I recommend and carry with me:

6. Comfortable Shoes: This is an important one. When your trekking through wet areas, slippery terrain or just on your feet all day, having good shoes will make a world of difference in your comfort and foot health! Not to mention keep your feet warm in the winter.

I'll always recommend 'The North Face' first as I've been wearing their shoes and boots for years. Depending on time of year or where I'm going to be photographing, I'll wear one of these two recommended shoes/boots:

7. All Purpose Tool: I don't know how many times having an all purpose tool has saved my butt or has come in handy in the field. Over the years I've owned a few different ones, but love the Gerber brand the most.

Recommended:

8. Cable Shutter Release: If your shooting anything that requires longer shutter speeds or if you're already using a tripod for reasons to reduce camera shake, this is a must have. Now there are a ton of camera shutter releases out there, so you might want to check your camera manufactures page for recommendations.

Personally I use:

You know what I use and is always with me? PocketWizard Plus III's. I'm putting these under this category because I use these to trigger my camera from distances or as a spare shutter trigger release or just use them to trigger your flash. Hands down out of all the Pocket Wizard's I've owned these are my favorites and gladly recommend this!
  • PocketWizard 801-130 Plus III Transceiver

9. Flashlight: Do I need to give a reason? ;) I do carry a couple with me, I like the Gerber flash light the most as it's small and has different colors I can switch to at night. I'll use the red so I don't mess up my night vision.

10. Wet Weather Protection for your Camera: Even in California we get crummy weather and when it does hit and I need to continue shooting, it's awesome to have something to safeguard the camera from the rain. These things are inexpensive and hardly take up any space in your camera bag.

I recommend:

The following user(s) said Thank You: rtenny, Amitsood, JuliaOrlando, Pilotshark
11 years 2 months ago #270186 by Moe
Minus the shoes and the powerbars, I have most of these. Oh and the blower, I don't carry that with me. Good tips thanks for sharing.

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #270202 by KCook
I have reached the point in life where I need to include a camp stool

Standing all day is no longer an option.

geezer

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: makisupa, Pilotshark
11 years 2 months ago #270220 by MYoung
:judge:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: mialopez002
11 years 2 months ago #270230 by aerophoto
I even carry a sensor cleaning set getting to be I have no room in my bag for anything else

11 years 2 months ago #270370 by KenMan
I need to get a good cleaning kit, mine sensor has a few spots of debris on it :whistle:

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #271699 by Amitsood
Thanks for sharing....
nowadays I never forget to take spare memory cards along with me. I've already suffered a lot :p

11 years 2 months ago #271758 by Todd Phillips

Amitsood wrote: Thanks for sharing....
nowadays I never forget to take spare memory cards along with me. I've already suffered a lot :p

:agree: always carry a spare with me

11 years 2 months ago #272275 by Abigail1
Every photographer should save this page. When ever will plan for a trip without thinking much more about packing just by following this list can get ready easily for the trip.
11 years 2 months ago #272284 by Carlos

Abigail1 wrote: Every photographer should save this page. When ever will plan for a trip without thinking much more about packing just by following this list can get ready easily for the trip.

:agree: always have a check list

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
11 years 3 weeks ago #277641 by Tuscan Muse
Insect Repellent Wipes with Foil Covers also come in handy at times.
11 years 3 weeks ago #277657 by Steve Kemp

tuscanlinda wrote: Insect Repellent Wipes with Foil Covers also come in handy at times.

+1 on the bug spray

Photo Comments
11 years 3 weeks ago #278291 by Jacob1977
Good article guys

Photo Comments
11 years 3 weeks ago #278296 by effron
I would add remember the camera too. (Don't laugh, I'm serious.. :angry: )

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #297436 by vyo
Good advice! Thanks :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024