For the Cityscape enthusiasts- How do you work

10 years 3 months ago #327645 by irishcrusader95
Hey there

I really enjoy cityscape and urban photography and would like to hear from other people here with this interest on how they do there work. I don't just mean city skyline shots but any shots taken in which the city is the subject such as individual buildings, motor ways etc.

- Whats draws your eye
- what kind of style do you do? dynamic, HDR, still life?
- The equipment you use
- Favorite shooting time and why?
- how you edit

A particular question i want to ask is on exposure. i often find the exposure a but difficult to get right when in twilight as the lights come one. they often get blown out yet a longer exposure is needed for the limited light, how do you strike the balance?

10 years 3 months ago #327661 by KCook
I'm lazy. When the light is difficult I just bracket my exposures.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 3 months ago #327785 by Stealthy Ninja
Tripod and stuff.
10 years 3 months ago #327885 by John Landolfi
Crank up your ISO so your highlights may be recoverable in LR, and you can try to clean up noise in the shadow areas.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #327917 by Stealthy Ninja

John Landolfi wrote: Crank up your ISO so your highlights may be recoverable in LR, and you can try to clean up noise in the shadow areas.

I guess what John is talking about is "highlight recovery" in some cameras which will use some of the ISO to recover some of the highlights. Shooting RAW this a waste of dynamic range and won't work.

A camera's dynamic range is highest at the lowest ISO numbers. Better to expose for the highlights and shoot at a low ISO number. Then your shadow noise should be reasonable or non-existent.

Canon tend towards better recoverability in highlights BTW. Nikon are better at recovering shadows. So shoot to expose the highlights well with Nikon (you can always push the shadows). For Canon you're better exposing a bit to the right (of the histogram) and pulling it back (of course not blowing all your highs to hell).

Bracketing is a good idea. Then you can choose the best exposed one later.
10 years 3 months ago #327925 by irishcrusader95
i was not aware different camera models performed differently in where its best to expose for. i usually try to expose to the right as i read that bringing that down in LR leave less noise then bringing shadows up.
I use a Sony A57

I'll be getting some shots latter of my current location Batumi, Georgia and i'll share them here once there ready, i encourage anyone else here to share their work so that we can de-analyse how the shot was taken, what caught your eye and so on (if this is the right place on the forum for that)

10 years 3 months ago #328199 by Alain-De-Loor
Wow, you're looking for a full meal deal?

What draws the eye is different to everyone I would say. I try to capture a moment or a feeling I had at a particular moment and try to record it in order to share this feeling with someone else.

Style used? What it takes to achieve the above mentioned goal.

Gear used? Tripod, whibal card, cable release/remote trigger, the right glass and at times, I even used a hat as a sunshade.

My favourite time is 2 hours before and after sunset. It gives me time to plan, travel around and work the scene, make adjustments and to take the time needed. I don't like to get up early in the morning, otherwise there are some great pictures to be taken in the morning's golden hours too.

I have come down to two methods of editing, one is technically correct and can give nice pictures which captured what I saw. Then there is the artistic method, which calls for what I felt (wow, I sound like a girl, no offense intended) meaning I'll boost colours, contrast which can turn out outstanding photos. When to use each is up to you, what message do you want to convey? There are times when I will end up with 4 to 6 different editing methods with different products at the end. Then I choose the one or two I like best... Seems to work for me.

The picture I prefer the most from all I have taken this year has little editing. That is strange to say and surprising to me.

Cheers

-Al

10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #357349 by Siarhei Shvaiko

Alain-De-Loor wrote: My favourite time is 2 hours before and after sunset.

Just want to add. The golden and blue hour times are not constant and depend on a latitude and season. Typically it shorter in the beginning of a spring and autumn and longer in winter and summer. It is better to use a special app to calculate it exactly in your location. There is a brilliant one for Android I use to plan my night photography. It allows not only see golden and blue hours but create your own condition. For example, I created my own with the Sun altitude from -2.2 to -4.5 degrees below horizont to catch a time when clouds on sky become red. The app name is Exsate Golden Hour. It's both free of charge and ads!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024