Baseball lights

10 years 3 weeks ago #362911 by shelland
I'll preface by saying that I don't take night shots of lights. :)

Our local town team just added lights to the baseball field, and tonight they are going to be having a gathering and lighting them for the first time. I'd love to take a shot of the occasion. It's just a small-town team, so a small field and the lights won't be overly fancy by any means. But I always get thrown off by thinking I need to set my camera for low light in the dark when actually taking pictures of lights.

They won't actually be playing, and coming out of a Minnesota winter the grass won't look anything like this - but I was visualizing something simple like this:

www.uttylerpatriots.com/media/2004-05/ba.../baseball_lights.jpg

Any advice on where to start with settings to get a nice capture of the lighting? I'd be more interested in a nice effect of the brand new lights than the exposure on the field itself. 

I tried looking at a few samples online, but none of them had EXIF visible.

For lenses, I have 24-105 f/4.0, 28-75 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 (obviously too much zoom on that one for that kind of capture). 

I do have a tripod and shutter release. (and hot-shoe flash)

Thank you!

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

10 years 3 weeks ago #362913 by DSRay
Your example is exposed for the field.  To expose for the lights I would switch to 'M' and take an exposure at f-8 and 1/125. The lights won't be right but the field should be close. Just keep decreasing the shutter speed until the lights are right or you get whatever combo you want.

10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #362915 by garyrhook
^^^ And he makes a good point.

Working from the assumption you'd like to recreate that shot, more or less.

Suggest you stick with either the 24-105 or the 28-75 and a tripod. You won't need flash (it will do nothing at that kind of distance). The zoom will allow you to frame; a prime will not. And your probably right about the 70-200 being too long.

A tripod will let you get your aperture down to f/5 or f/5.6, and your shutter speed down to 1/60 or 1/50 s. Then it's a matter of ISO, and that depends upon how bright those lights are, and where you are. Slow shutter speed, lower ISO. You know.

In the example image the basemen are pretty blurry compared to the lettering on the field, so that suggests that the aperture is likely wider than f/8.  You'll also want single-point focus so you can set the DoF precisely where you want it. (Forgive me if I'm being pedantic; that's for posterity and newbies.)

You could also take multiple exposures and combine them in post.
Good luck, and have fun!

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #363079 by effron
Why not simply use an auto mode, aperture priority for example, and see what that gives you for a shutter speed? If its too slow, dial in some increased ISO? .....(28-75 is the lens)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #363603 by Tim Dordeck
If you expose for the lights, won't the field be underexposed?  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #363623 by DSRay

effron wrote: Why not simply use an auto mode, aperture priority for example, and see what that gives you for a shutter speed? If its too slow, dial in some increased ISO? .....(28-75 is the lens)

This would work as long as you frame it right...

10 years 2 weeks ago #363625 by garyrhook

Tim Dordeck wrote: If you expose for the lights, won't the field be underexposed?  

Well, therein lies the rub. The dynamic range on the field is going to be wider than a camera can pick up, without some work in post.  If you wish to accomplish this in a single shot, and sSince you want to avoid blowing out highlights (assumption here) then you firstly need to expose for the lights, and secondarily for the field.

If you want both, that's called HDR and will require (at least) 2 exposures and merging in post. It all really depends upon how and what you want to do.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #363627 by DSRay
yes :lol:

10 years 2 weeks ago #363635 by Uplander
The problem is doing a bracketed shot is that those people might be in different spots.  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #363661 by shelland
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I started with f/8.0 so I didn't have a depth of field that was too shallow, and just played around from there. I went with 1/125 as suggested and moved the ISO around. Then I even tried going to a smaller aperture for the depth of field, which obviously required slower shutter speeds. I'm not going to submit them to Sports Illustrated for publishing by any means, but they turned out OK. It was an occasion where I wished I had a wide-angle lens. Even with my 24-105, I could only get two light poles wide in my view.

Here are a couple shots. I notice the ground may be a bit on the yellow side, so I can play with that. Or it may just be a sign of the MN winter. :)

www.dropbox.com/s/9s8xvli8uznnj6f/IMG_0440.jpg

www.dropbox.com/s/ogghlok7cym1w6m/IMG_0404.jpg

www.dropbox.com/s/agd06acbjptlf4u/IMG_0380.jpg

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

10 years 2 days ago #369525 by shelland
This is by no means the big time (very far from it), but guess whose picture made the local town publication? (we're talking about a 4 page tiny-town MN mailing that goes out every 2 months)

www.dropbox.com/s/jn65xcofm0c5ktx/Hollanders_lights.jpg

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024