White Balance and ISO?

6 years 9 months ago #534169 by Future_Photographer
Hello Everyone Kevin Here!

I just got a new camera (Nikon Coolpix L340) and it works really well and I want to understand the fundamentals of it better to take the best and utmost pictures I can. However, there are options to adjust the white balance and ISO and I am kind of confused on how they work. Can anyone tell me what they are in like layman's terms to make it simpler for me? I would really appreciate it and thanks a ton everyone for the help in advance!

~Kevin

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534170 by Foxy Girl
There are a couple video's I've forwarded to friends getting started who have the same question.

I like this one from Mark Wallace on understanding ISO:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhotoViking, Future_Photographer
6 years 9 months ago #534171 by Foxy Girl
another good one on ISO

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhotoViking
6 years 9 months ago #534172 by Foxy Girl
Good one on white balance

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534173 by Foxy Girl
One more on white balance

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534174 by Future_Photographer
Alright thanks a lot Foxy Girl!

It means a lot and I honestly appreciate it and I will certainly watch these videos asap! I do understand what it is but I cannot wrap my mind around the fundamentals of it to be honest. I can't explain why but it's so hard for me to comprehend so this will help a ton!

Thanks again Foxy Girl!

~Kevin

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534191 by garyrhook

Future_Photographer wrote: Alright thanks a lot Foxy Girl!

It means a lot and I honestly appreciate it and I will certainly watch these videos asap! I do understand what it is but I cannot wrap my mind around the fundamentals of it to be honest. I can't explain why but it's so hard for me to comprehend so this will help a ton!

White balance is about the color of light. If you shoot RAW images you can always fully adjust WB (via temperature and tint) in post. Actually, you can always adjust it.

ISO is about sensor sensitivity. Part of the exposure triangle, you need to learn about shutter speed, aperture, and ISO together. If you're having trouble, start with aperture priority mode or shutter priority and let the camera do some work for you. Then study the images to learn what the camera choices were, and why.

The two are unrelated.

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #551830 by moumallick6

I am new to photography but learning about all the options/features in my camera and how to use it. My favourite one is the aperture, there are many things we can do with white balance and ISO too.

Attachments:
6 years 2 days ago #578502 by fmw
These two settings to do not relate to one another nor depend on one another. As mentioned above, the ISO determines the amount of voltage amplification of the sensor. It affects digital noise. Every sensor is designed to operate at normal voltage at a given ISO. My camera system has a base ISO of 200. Any setting above 200 amplifies the digital signal to provide more exposure and, consequently, more digital noise. A setting below that will provide less exposure but, oddly, more digital noise as well.

Read up on the exposure triangle. The legs of the triangle are shutter speed which affects motion blur, aperture which affects depth of field and ISO which affects digital noise. Find a subject and shoot it with the same exposure but with changes in one or more legs of the triangle to get feel for the effects.

White balance is used to normalize the color cast of an image based on the color of the light you are capturing. Late afternoon light, for instance is redder than high noon light. Indoor incandescent lighting is more yellow than daylight. Since you are beginner I would recommend ignoring white balance for now and set the camera for auto WB.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024