landscape photography

6 years 5 months ago #547126 by Aritra86
Im using nikon D7000 camera. Whenever I try to take landscape photo with my nikon 18-105 lens the image I get is not sharp, colour quality is not so rich or bright. How can i over come it? What should be an ideal camera setting for daytime landscape and for capturing night sky with foreground?

6 years 5 months ago #547137 by Bryston3bsst
There really is no ideal setting for landscape per se. Every situation calls for different settings depending on available light, the landscape itself, colors.....

You are not happy with your results, how about posting some examples along with what kind of equipment you're using.. Might make it easier to make suggestions.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aritra86
6 years 5 months ago #547138 by Aritra86
how can i add my photo here, to show you?

6 years 5 months ago #547139 by Aritra86
u can visit my profile, there is only one photo there. this is that type of photo

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #547154 by garyrhook

Aritra86 wrote: how can i add my photo here, to show you?

When you are editing a post here in the forum, there should be an "Attachment" button below the text editor. It may be that you must have posted a few times first (i.e. participate) before adding images... I don't recall if there are any restrictions. In any event, we'll go have a look at your photo.

.... or not. I don't see anything that shows my your photos on your profile.  Add a couple more comments here or on other threads, and see if you can get to the point of adding attachments.

That said, I'll say this: All of those beautiful landscape photos you see on IG, etc? Those are heavily processed in post. They don't come out of the camera that way, not RAW, and certainly not JPG. If you want to do landscape photography you're going to need to learn how to edit.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aritra86
6 years 5 months ago #547155 by Aritra86
here is my photo. 

Attachments:
6 years 5 months ago #547161 by garyrhook
I would suggest starting by resetting your expectations. If you have not reached the point where you can assess the light in this scene, you might best start at the beginning. And that would be exposure. 

The light in this scene is not ideal. Landscape photography is usually done in the golden or blue  hours, not midday. You'll want to research light, how to compose, when to take photos, things like that. Learn how to process. Great photography is an art and takes work, study, and patience. As you have just discovered, if it were easy, anyone could point a camera and create amazing photographs. Turns out that's not the case.

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #547267 by Joves
:agree:
Yeah pretty much what he said. You are dealing with a lot of haze as well. You can also experiment with a Circular Polarizer to try, and tone that down. You just set it and get it to a more pleasing effect. Also you need to learn to shoot RAW along with your Jpegs for your post processing work to gain more latitude in fixing problems. The problem with using any dark filter though is that your shadows will be even darker. But you can make the sky look less washed. Also I did not try, and read the settings in the images. If you are shooting with the lens wide open that is not good for landscapes, and that lens does not get sharp until the f/7.1+ range up to a certain point. So experiment with it, and learn what works best.

5 years 11 months ago #578503 by fmw
Unsharp images result from inaccurate focus or motion blur. Focus in your image is all infinity so any sharpness problem would be motion blur. That means you either need to use a higher shutter speed or a tripod.

One of the advantages of a tripod is that you could have used one to employ HDR techniques to bring the exposure of the distant mountains and the nearby valley closer together. You can do this to a degree with your photo editing software.

The haze you see on the mountains is a matter of distance. Work with your editing software to reduce the haze and touch up the contrast. You can increase the color saturation there as well if like.

Exposing a nigh sky with foreground would depend on the darkness of the night sky and the foreground subject. Use a tripod and experiment with different exposure settings.

You have a capable camera. It is just a matter of getting the best out of it. That means practice by making images.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582490 by Jared-Weaver
Harsh midday light is not going to produce rich color no matter how you shoot. Shoot during golden and blue hour. That's where the real magic happens.

A polarizing filter will help clear up the haze.

Lenses with focal lengths that range from wide to telephoto sacrifice sharpness. Once you figure out what kind of landscapes you like to shoot, invest in some pro quality glass.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #593990 by donnnnnny
you couldpurchase some neutral density soft grad filters, 03,06.09 are the usual numbers. I have lee ones but there are other types on the market.the 09 would in this case give you alot more detail in the sky.As for focus, i very rarly use autofocus in my landscape shots, for this shot id use F11 and Infinity, .make sure your lens is set on the infinity sign which is like a figure 8 set lens exactly on the sign or symbol, dont go past it on the focus ring.This shopud give you acceptable focus from approx 1.7 meters in front of the lens to infinity way over by the mountains,You dont have any forground which is close so no need to focus stack here. hope this helps

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #603133 by selena18
I would like to recommend you to use sunny 16 rule. It is a technique of calculating the correct daylight exposure. Set your aperture to f/16 in full sun, around 100 ISO and shutter speed at about 1/100 or 1/125. Always try to shoot just after sunrise and before sunset which is called golden hour.

While night sky photography, if you want to add interesting features to a dazzling shot of the night sky (with or without stars, constellations, or the moon), start with the following settings:
1. An aperture of f/5.6,
2. A shutter speed of 15-25 seconds for a well-lit scene, or 3-4 minutes for a very dark landscape,
3. and an ISO between 100 and 400 (always strive to stay as close to 100 as you can).

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024