Avoiding Grainy Photos

6 years 3 months ago #558484 by Hornet
I have the Minolta Maxxum STsi, which is a 35mm SLR. Attached are the pictures that I took with this camera. They have a little bit of grain. How can I avoid taking grainy pictures? I used ISO 200.

Attachments:
6 years 3 months ago #558540 by garyrhook
Um, that camera is at least 17 years old. That sensor is probably, at best, 4MP. (I'm not going to take the time to track down the details.) I stopped shooting when the images from my 4MP Pany Lumix became intolerable for exactly this reason.

Old tech, noisy (by definition), long since bypassed by modern products. Those images look just like what I'd expect from a body that old. I don't see how they're going to get any better, although Lightroom could possibly help (if that camera can even shoot RAW).

Time for new hardware. Things have progressed greatly since then.

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #558588 by Hornet

garyrhook wrote: Um, that camera is at least 17 years old. That sensor is probably, at best, 4MP. (I'm not going to take the time to track down the details.) I stopped shooting when the images from my 4MP Pany Lumix became intolerable for exactly this reason.

Old tech, noisy (by definition), long since bypassed by modern products. Those images look just like what I'd expect from a body that old. I don't see how they're going to get any better, although Lightroom could possibly help (if that camera can even shoot RAW).

Time for new hardware. Things have progressed greatly since then.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll get a new camera.

6 years 3 months ago #558595 by Bryston3bsst
I believe this is a film camera....is it not?

If so, I never had that kind of grain when shooting film, especially at an ISO of 200. Was this particular roll of film very old? Have you tried others and, if so, do they all show this kind of graininess? 

I might try another roll of fresh film before I went out and bought a new camera. That is...if...you really want to shoot film. Which, personally, I wouldn't go back to for anything.

Otherwise, I would replace it with a more modern technology digital camera.

6 years 3 months ago #558687 by garyrhook

Bryston3bsst wrote: I believe this is a film camera....is it not?

That was unclear when I read the info at Amazon, but there is discussion of the sensor size. I drew a conclusion. And now, doing more research, I see the same model (by name) for sale on eBay as a film camera.

Now I'm confused.

If it is film, then I take back what I said, but the OP doesn't talk about film, developing, and scanning. I took a guess at digital imagery.

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #558736 by icepics
I'm not that familiar with Minolta (and think maybe they used the Maxxum name for various cameras) and thought too that the OP was asking about having a digital camera set at 200 ISO. Which to me didn't make sense that photos would be that noisy usually.

To me the first one looks like it might have been hazy off in the distance; I don't really see grain in the second one (at least not on here on my monitor).

I shoot film and many people use 200 ISO film as an all purpose daylight film. I prefer 100 ISO outdoors on nice sunny days, and go with 400 speed film indoors, or outdoors on cloudy/overcast days (depending on the weather and if it's fairly dark and gloomy or not so much). I used to get a good bit of grain sometimes on higher speed films at 800 or 1000 ISO but maybe there's a reason those aren't made anymore - I liked 400 speed much better.

I would suggest too that you might try different film if you try this camera again, and check your settings - make sure you've set the camera's ISO to 200 or whatever box speed the film is that you're using. Meter the scene and learn to get proper exposures. A lab should be able to make adjustments in developing color film so there's some latitude shooting it. I send out film and it's possible to request the film be pushed or pulled (which I rarely do) but you could look up what's involved in that.

With B&W film I find particularly it helps to get a proper exposure to get negatives that aren't too thin (and barely usable) or too dense (which can be usable but involve zapping a lot of light thru them and not what I want to spend time doing!).

If you try some fresh film and shoot another roll, try taking notes and jot down what you did and how you set the camera and see what worked or what didn't.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #558833 by Shadowfixer1
The camera stated is a film camera. There is a lot more to this than the question asked. Either the camera model is stated incorrectly or the questions of film type, film scanner used, etc. needs to be answered. The answer to the question asked has little to do with the camera itself.
6 years 3 months ago #558945 by Hornet

If so, I never had that kind of grain when shooting film, especially at an ISO of 200. Was this particular roll of film very old? Have you tried others and, if so, do they all show this kind of graininess? 

I might try another roll of fresh film before I went out and bought a new camera. That is...if...you really want to shoot film. Which, personally, I wouldn't go back to for anything.

Otherwise, I would replace it with a more modern technology digital camera.

Yes, I'm talking about a 35mm film camera. I used a new roll of film. Before taking those pictures, I was able to take pictures without any of the grain with the same camera.

6 years 3 months ago #558946 by Hornet

garyrhook wrote:

That was unclear when I read the info at Amazon, but there is discussion of the sensor size. I drew a conclusion. And now, doing more research, I see the same model (by name) for sale on eBay as a film camera.

Now I'm confused.

If it is film, then I take back what I said, but the OP doesn't talk about film, developing, and scanning. I took a guess at digital imagery.

I was talking about a film camera. The pictures were converted to digital. Even the printed pictures were a little grainy.

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #558948 by Hornet

icepics wrote: I'm not that familiar with Minolta (and think maybe they used the Maxxum name for various cameras) and thought too that the OP was asking about having a digital camera set at 200 ISO. Which to me didn't make sense that photos would be that noisy usually.

To me the first one looks like it might have been hazy off in the distance; I don't really see grain in the second one (at least not on here on my monitor).

I shoot film and many people use 200 ISO film as an all purpose daylight film. I prefer 100 ISO outdoors on nice sunny days, and go with 400 speed film indoors, or outdoors on cloudy/overcast days (depending on the weather and if it's fairly dark and gloomy or not so much). I used to get a good bit of grain sometimes on higher speed films at 800 or 1000 ISO but maybe there's a reason those aren't made anymore - I liked 400 speed much better.

I would suggest too that you might try different film if you try this camera again, and check your settings - make sure you've set the camera's ISO to 200 or whatever box speed the film is that you're using. Meter the scene and learn to get proper exposures. A lab should be able to make adjustments in developing color film so there's some latitude shooting it. I send out film and it's possible to request the film be pushed or pulled (which I rarely do) but you could look up what's involved in that.

With B&W film I find particularly it helps to get a proper exposure to get negatives that aren't too thin (and barely usable) or too dense (which can be usable but involve zapping a lot of light thru them and not what I want to spend time doing!).

If you try some fresh film and shoot another roll, try taking notes and jot down what you did and how you set the camera and see what worked or what didn't.

I'm used to seeing pictures with a higher resolution so I thought they looked a little grainy to me.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try them out.

6 years 3 months ago #559052 by garyrhook
My mistake.

As for grain, you don't indicate what kind of film, nor film speed, you were using/used. Higher ISO means more grain. I remember that even 400 ISO color film (40 years ago) had noticeable grain, so the answer is kinda "it depends", right?

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #559106 by Shadowfixer1
You say you used ISO 200 but is that what the film was rated at. The ISO needs to match the speed of the film. It's not an arbitrary number. If the film was 200 speed, then what was the resolution of the scan? A lot more information is needed to determine the issue with the grain. No one can guess the reason without full disclosure of the details. The information is more critical with film, than digital.
6 years 3 months ago #559266 by Hornet

garyrhook wrote: My mistake.

As for grain, you don't indicate what kind of film, nor film speed, you were using/used. Higher ISO means more grain. I remember that even 400 ISO color film (40 years ago) had noticeable grain, so the answer is kinda "it depends", right?

I used Fuji 35mm film and I used the 200 film speed.

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #559268 by Hornet

Shadowfixer1 wrote: You say you used ISO 200 but is that what the film was rated at. The ISO needs to match the speed of the film. It's not an arbitrary number. If the film was 200 speed, then what was the resolution of the scan? A lot more information is needed to determine the issue with the grain. No one can guess the reason without full disclosure of the details. The information is more critical with film, than digital.

I used a film speed of 200. Before the prints were converted to digital pictures, I saw that the prints were a little grainy.

5 years 11 months ago #578501 by fmw
ISO 200 film should show some grain but not much.  I suspect the images were underexposed and gained some digital noise when they were scanned and digitized.  That is a guess.  I haven't seen the negatives.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024