A few questions from a guy who likes taking photos

5 years 7 months ago #600470 by Khelm
What do you wish you knew or learned when you were first starting out?

In sports they talk of the "game slowing down" when there is a point that one is so comfortable and familiar that despite the actual speed of the game it slows down mentally.  Sometimes I feel this pressure or rush to get my shot or while i'm taking the shot it seems fast.  I'm not sure if this makes sense.  How did you get to where the process slows down mentally?

Tied into the previous question is getting "the shot" vs editing for the shot... Artistically I guess the end point doesn't matter as much but I have a desire to get "the shot" - any thoughts?  (taking "a" photo vs taking many and finding one that works)

5 years 7 months ago #600527 by garyrhook
Cartier-Bresson: "Your first 10,000 photos are your worst."

"How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" "Practice, practice, practice."

Unless you are one of those rare individuals where everything clicks from the get-go, you're going to have to practice. Fortunately, digital makes that easier and faster.

Yes, finding the "decisive moment" is a good goal, as opposed to "spray-and-pray" but in sports there's more than one of those.

You should go google the bits and pieces I've supplied here. And start researching and learning. Just my $0.02.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600528 by Nikon Shooter
"Practice, practice, practice."
In my book, this is a very old adage that I would replace with
"Learn, understand, and practice with the goal of telling stories."

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600536 by Khelm

garyrhook wrote: Cartier-Bresson: "Your first 10,000 photos are your worst."

"How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" "Practice, practice, practice."

Unless you are one of those rare individuals where everything clicks from the get-go, you're going to have to practice. Fortunately, digital makes that easier and faster.

Yes, finding the "decisive moment" is a good goal, as opposed to "spray-and-pray" but in sports there's more than one of those.

You should go google the bits and pieces I've supplied here. And start researching and learning. Just my $0.02.

I'm definitely not looking for the quick and easy but am looking to glean experience and information from experienced photographers.  Thanks for your input.  I have been doing a lot of reading and trying to research with also getting out and shooting.  One thing I've really enjoyed is watching and listening to photo critiques.  I hear what are said about other photos and try to learn from that for my own photos.  

5 years 7 months ago #600537 by Khelm

Nikon Shooter wrote: "Practice, practice, practice."

Hmmm... "telling stories" is not something I consider while taking photos - Maybe i'm taking more with the hope of getting the shot than understanding what shot I want to get?

5 years 7 months ago #600567 by effron
By an expensive camera, the more it costs, the better your "pictures" will be.....:)

Just kidding, practice, of course. Places like this, look and experiment. You have the interest, that's the important part!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600574 by garyrhook

Khelm wrote:

Hmmm... "telling stories" is not something I consider while taking photos - Maybe i'm taking more with the hope of getting the shot than understanding what shot I want to get?

What are you attempting to convey when you create an image? The "story" can be literal, emotional, evocative. What do you want your viewer to feel?

We photograph with an intent. Understanding one's intent is an important part of this craft. IMO.

Here's an idea: post a recent image you especially like, and let's discuss its story. You won't grow without feedback, and there's no time like the present to start.

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #600588 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 7 months ago #600667 by Khelm

effron wrote: By an expensive camera, the more it costs, the better your "pictures" will be.....:)

Just kidding, practice, of course. Places like this, look and experiment. You have the interest, that's the important part!

I'm very thankful my friend suggested me to get a fixed lens so I could focus on photography and not gear.  I enjoy shooting with my fujifilm X100T

5 years 7 months ago #600673 by Khelm

garyrhook wrote:

Khelm wrote:

What are you attempting to convey when you create an image? The "story" can be literal, emotional, evocative. What do you want your viewer to feel?

We photograph with an intent. Understanding one's intent is an important part of this craft. IMO.

Here's an idea: post a recent image you especially like, and let's discuss its story. You won't grow without feedback, and there's no time like the present to start.

Make: FUJIFILM
Model: X100T
ISO: 250
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Captured: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 7:15am

I have always been intrigued by interesting/unusual perspectives whether architecture or anything else.  Something draws me in about interesting perspectives - seeing and recording them.  I like how the building is skewed due to the perspective.  It seems to be stretched up and bigger than what maybe it actually is.  I did consider framing and composition while taking this photo, however, I don't know that I can verbalize the intent or that I actually considered the "why" when taking this photo.  If i could take this again I might get the top of the archway out of the frame.   

I believe the window color is a combination of the tint on the window and my CPL it wasn't changed in post.  

Attachments:
5 years 7 months ago #600674 by Khelm

KCook wrote: Links for more threads on head games in photography -

How to train your eye to see creatively?

Are you more photographer than artist or more artist than photographer?

Pre-visualizing your photos like Ansel Adams

Does your brain ever shut off when your out shooting? 

Kelly Cook

thanks for the links I am definitely going to spend some time looking at them!

5 years 7 months ago #602385 by Jared-Weaver
I wish I knew about proper editing workflow, filling your frame with the subject, long exposure technique and the proper use of HDR which is not using it at all.

I shoot landscapes so the game is already moving fairly slow. I like to set up hours before sunrise or sunset after exploring the location the day before that way I minimize my chances of running around to find my shot as the light fades.

Getting the shot vs. editing the shot..... Get as much work done as you can in the field. That's why we do it right? So we can be out enjoying nature?

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602432 by KCook
I enjoy making landscape pictures. But I'm much too impatient to hang around for hours.

ontherun

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 7 months ago #602652 by Khelm

Jared-Weaver wrote: I wish I knew about proper editing workflow, filling your frame with the subject, long exposure technique and the proper use of HDR which is not using it at all.

I shoot landscapes so the game is already moving fairly slow. I like to set up hours before sunrise or sunset after exploring the location the day before that way I minimize my chances of running around to find my shot as the light fades.

Getting the shot vs. editing the shot..... Get as much work done as you can in the field. That's why we do it right? So we can be out enjoying nature?

Most of my shots have been researching locations - going on a hike with friends - and taking a shot.  I will research what area or what I want to shoot but I do not always consider time or day or much else.  Usually only what I want to shoot then I go and shoot.  Maybe I should devote more time to the process at the location.  Thanks for your thoughts and sharing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024