Squinting

5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #610300 by Troponin
Dealing with an issue here that I am not sure how to fix. I am still learning portraiture and I am experimenting with different lighting outside. I am trying to use the advice of putting the sun to the back of the model, then using the open sky as a method of getting enough light on the front of the subject. It actually works REALLY well, except, my models are squinting even on a cloudy day. We were in the mountains and the sky was producing some amazing light, but my models were complaining that they couldn’t not squint. 

I am trying this method because lighting under shade trees isn’t always working for me. Heck, yesterday I took a photo of my mother under a shade tree with the open sky in front of her and I am really happy with the results, but again, she was complaining it was too bright again. These photos look like they would be amazing if they just didn’t have to squint! Please help! I only get to see my family about once every two years, we are headed back tomorrow, and I am not getting as many shots as I would like. :(

Thanks
Shea

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610316 by garyrhook
What time of day are you doing this?

You want to be working 1-2 hours after sunrise, or before sunset. You might need someone holding a diffuser over someone to provide softer light and shade. But not in the middle of the day.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #610334 by Troponin

garyrhook wrote: What time of day are you doing this?

You want to be working 1-2 hours after sunrise, or before sunset. You might need someone holding a diffuser over someone to provide softer light and shade. But not in the middle of the day.

thanks for replying.

These were situations that I couldn’t choose the time. We were on vacation with family and some events happened late morning and early afternoon. One day it was a heavily overcast day and the sun wasn’t even able to peak out at all. We were on the side of a mountain and this created a HUGE open sky to give a lot of light. 

This was a tip in the PhotographyTalk portraiture lesson and it really did create great lighting that was soft, but that big open sky, even with heavy cloud cover, was making my model squint. 

It seemed odd and I wasn’t sure if there was a trick to this to make it more comfortable for the model.

i am also trying to find other practical and relatively easy methods to getting softer light in situations where I don’t have a helper, or I can’t lug all my gear to the spot. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024