Inspiration

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #610885 by Troponin
I have decided to venture into portraiture while we go into the colder months. 90% of my photography has been macro, mostly small animals, insects etc, but it will obviously become slow mid winter. I’m using this time to learn portraiture and perhaps I can one day supplement my income with a variety of skills.

All that said, I was curious as to how y’all draw inspiration for your ideas. Sure, I can look at other photographers and mimic their styles, but that’s just copying more than inspiring. I have clearly developed a style of shooting for macro, and eventually I will get there with portrayed as well, but I’m having some trouble finding inspiration and coming up with anything that I feel is original.

Up until now, my portrait otography has been more of a “shoot from the hip“ style. This can sometimes produced some very cool results, but I have no consistency. Unlike macro, where I can just walk in the woods in find my subjects, I need a bit more planning and ideas in advanced.

If there is one piece of advice that you could give me, or anyone interested in this area of photography, what would it be?

some recent photos...
Make: SONY
Model: ILCE-7RM3
Lens: FE 50mm F1.4 ZA
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/1.4
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Captured: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 19:27pm
ISO: 100
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
Captured: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 10:45am
ISO: 200
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Captured: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 14:53pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #610891 by Nikon Shooter

Troponin wrote: …using this time to learn portraiture

There is not much worth learning there but some basic do's and
don't's
 but what others do.

Troponin wrote: I’m having some trouble finding inspiration and coming up with anything that I feel is original.

That's normal… and most will get to learn how to reproduce well
known recipes to get to faster results but none will think of shar-
penning their eyes.

Troponin wrote: “shoot from the hip“ style. This can sometimes produced some very cool results, but I have no consistency. 

Normal too… until you find something that really belongs to you!
From that point on, you will have to find new ways, new styles…

Troponin wrote: If there is one piece of advice that you could give me, or anyone interested in this area of photography, what would it be?

— Hunt, hunt and keep hunting… you will learn more about people
as subjects and even more about yourself.
— Use 200mm or more at an event, a market place, a bus stop etc.
Look closely at people of all ages, races, genders, fashion or lack of!

Explore your world, yourself, and have a good time!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin
5 years 5 months ago #610898 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

Unless you are dealing with professional models, your models are just as 'new' to the game as you are ... so you both are nervous at the same time.

I find that asking the subject to become involved with something of interest starts to relax both of you - a child can play with toys, a person can read a book, a gardener can prune some roses so to speak.

Then via that distraction, you can gently get them used to the camera and during those moments. your assistant / parent / whomever can talk to them and you can get extra shots of the person both looking away from the camera and into the camera - without the person becoming over self-concious about being on display, as it were

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin
5 years 5 months ago #611580 by Marinan
Keep an eye on kids, they are so winsome and often are inspiration itself, IMHO. No performance, no artificial poses, just wonderful natural shots. They will be perfect models for a warm-up. :)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024