WB • a Rule or a Choice?

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #619039 by Nikon Shooter
I rigorously control the WB at shooting time though the camera is 
set on Auto WB. It is necessary when light temperature changes 
almost by the minute — early or late in the day.

The 1st picture shows the Auto WB and the measured value as the 
2nd reveals a different reference — one that does not consider re-
lative WB but the subject's true colours eve under the warm setting 
sunlight.

Which one do you prefer?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #619085 by garyrhook
WB is an artistic choice. I shoot at 5100K all the time. I almost always tweak the temperature and tint, even in simple snaps.

While I prefer the 2nd/3rd, I'd warm up the feathers.

Most indiscriminate folks will prefer the warmer image, I think.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #619106 by Nikon Shooter
The sky, in the first (untouched version), was partially covered 
with nice white clouds that were hit by the sunset colours re-
flecting by the water the orange cast on the whole shot.

In the second, the WB was tweaked so to reproduce the "real" 
colours of the bird… but something ain't right: the low light has
to have a warmer colour but not everyone will notice.

The third is representing the bird with the warmer tones but the
colour of the water is like it would be if no "orange" clouds were
reflected, just the plain blue sky… what is be absolutely normal
and natural.

It is a matter of taste if strict documentation is not the aim!

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #625514 by Jared-Weaver
I like the bottom one. 

White balance is a choice for sure. Warming and cooling images sets the overall emotional tone the photographer is trying to imaprt to the viewer. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626220 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day NS

Thanks for this display of "alternatives"

On my laptop screen .... it is all I have got .... there appears no colour change between #2 & #3, except that #2 seems to have more vignetting applied

I can see a colour change between #1 and the #2 & #3 images, but overall I'd go for #1 as with the others the waters under the bird appear too dark, and the colour 'blue' appears too strong / saturated

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 3 months ago #626222 by Nikon Shooter
I see, then I will describe…
  1. the shot SOOC in terms of WB but processed the usual way.
  2. the processed result with a WB tweak applied to the whole image.
  3. same water as in #2 but the bird WB of #1… and the vignette as in #2.
Does this help? :)

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626261 by garyrhook
And people complain about my PP choices, which at least are meant to be interpretive.

It needs to be between #1 and #2, IMNSHO. The first is too warm, the water in the second is overdone, but not in a way that is convincing.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #626266 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote:  IMNSHO.

I had to google that… :huh:   as you say, Gary!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024