Plastic looking portrait shots

5 years 1 month ago #630403 by elektrobank
Can anyone explain or point me to a tutorial on how to take portraits like this that make the subject looks very detailed and almost like a plastic doll? I see these all over and can't figure out how to do it. Is it more to do with lighting, makeup, etc. or post editing? 

Thanks

Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #630417 by Nikon Shooter
Look for butterfly lighting. G'day! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: traveling-scooter-pics19
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #630419 by Nikon Shooter
… where no soft light but a small soft box was
used as in the first headshot!

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #630452 by garyrhook
The lighting is irrelevant. This is about retouching: lots and lots of retouching. Portrait Pro might be able to produce over-done perfection, or you can use frequency separation and do a lot of work.

There might be other techniques, but you're essentially creating a consistent, obvious texture.

So not a fan.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #630458 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: The lighting is irrelevant. This is about retouching: lots and lots of retouching. Portrait Pro might be able to produce over-done perfection, or you can use frequency separation and do a lot of work. There might be other techniques, but you're essentially creating a consistent, obvious texture. So not a fan.

Lighting.
This very strong statement alone demonstrates — I am sorry to say —  
a lack of experience in studio work and techniques.

Retouching.
This other statement is just wrong. The first talent is young, has a very
beautiful complexion, and, as any trained eye can see, went through no
editing of significance.

I am a fan of the first shot exactly because it is straight forward, clean,
and darn well executed. I would not have approach the talent in the same
way but it takes nothing away from what it is.

… and I love freckles! :P

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #630557 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: Lighting.
This very strong statement alone demonstrates — I am sorry to say —  
a lack of experience in studio work and techniques.

I don't pretend to overestimate my skills in either camera work or post-processing. I believe that the lighting has nothing to do with the clarity of the skin, the obvious uniformity of the texture, and the lack of imperfection.

Her complexion is not real. Period. And there's no makeup there to smooth it out. It's been retouched.

Retouching.
This other statement is just wrong. The first talent is young, has a very
beautiful complexion, and, as any trained eye can see, went through no
editing of significance.

I disagree. Unfortunately, since the OP posted photos with no attribution

OP: please don't do that

we don't know where they came from. But if they are commercial fashion shots you can bet the rent on heavy retouching, including skin.

Here's an idea: don't tell people they are wrong without actual data. Express your perspective and ideas and opinions.

And by the way? I believe that the eyes are a dead giveaway. I believe that real eyes don't look like that. I believe that they've been enhanced. I would have thought that was pretty obvious to anyone with any experience.

Note to self: start prefacing remarks with "I believe that" since it's not clear that's what I mean.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #630561 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: … the eyes are a dead giveaway. I believe that real eyes don't look like that. I believe that they've been enhanced. I would have thought that was pretty obvious to anyone with any experience. Note to self: start prefacing remarks with "I believe that" since it's not clear that's what I mean.

The eyes, yes! Enhanced for sure and the chin a tad
with frequency separation..

The lighting is revealed by the shape of the specular
highlights on her forehead: a small soft box.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #630564 by Stefan-Olsson
hahahaha.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #630587 by elektrobank
Thanks for all the comments so far, very helpful! 

It does look like frequency separation is the main technique used, probably further enhanced by proper lighting, makeup, and maybe even oil on the skin to create that extra shine too (just my inexperienced guess). I looked at PortraitPro and it looks like that does a lot of the heavy lifting in creating these kinds of photos, so I'm gonna give that a shot. Thanks garyrhook for pointing that out!

As far as the comment about attribution, the photographer is:  www.tamarawilliams.net . Their IG handle is watermarked on the photo. I personally think this style has its place and can be very beautiful, but also overdone like HDR at times. I hope to be able to replicate this effect on some of my own photos though.

(No need to argue about these points, we're all here to help each other learn!)

Thanks!

4 years 7 months ago #654618 by fmw
It is all about lighting.  I rather like the lighting on both images.  Since my portraits are all environmental, I rarely use soft lighting.  The photographer has not used soft lighting here and it produces an interesting effect that draws the eye better than soft lighting would have.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #654621 by Nikon Shooter
… but the eyes are so grey in both cases!

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660007 by ebyelyakov
- Find Lee Varis's book "Skln"
- Ignore the anatomy of human head and leverage Model Mayhem as the source in inspiration
- Have a powerful enough PC or patience since Surface Blur is quite CPU intensive

4 years 2 months ago #672699 by robertsmith19
This perfectness didn't come with photography. There needs a lot of retouching work to make like this.
I will not exactly point you to any tutorial. But you will find thousands of videos on youtube about complex portrait retouching tutorial. 
 One thing i should tell you that. There need a lot of hard works to gain the perfect result

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024