Shutter Speed Question

11 years 1 week ago #3739 by aletha
The other day I had a great oppotunity to go out and shoot some photos. Anyways I was on the street and had I was trying to caputre an object moving, I was trying to catch some creative motion not panning, with slow sync flash, but the problem was that I did not know the exact speed of the object, which led me to guess at the selecting the shutter speed. After I captured the photo I am not completly satisfied with it, is there a method to measure the speed of the subject so that the shutter speed is correct, or does it just take alot of practice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 days ago #4198 by Gabriel Photos
Trial and run, trial and run. I don't have a exact science myself, I just gauge on the fly

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

The Canon EOS 7D is well over a decade old, but if you're a beginner photographer looking for a first camera or even an enthusiast that needs a second body, the 7D might be a good fit.

Oct 19, 2021

The FujiFilm X-E4 is a newer camera, having been released earlier this year. But it's also an affordable camera - particularly if you buy it used.

Oct 05, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

Latest Articles

In my 2021 Bay Photo Metal Print Review, I outline the best and worst features of the print and also offer some insights into Bay Photo's hours, locations, return policies, and more

Oct 26, 2021

If you have a Canon camera, you might have noticed a setting called AI-Servo. In this guide, learn what is AI-Servo, how to use it, and why it's important to learn.

Oct 25, 2021

When ordering a canvas, there are many important decisions to make, not the least of which is the choice between a traditional vs floating frame.

Oct 25, 2021

Blue hour vs golden hour - which is better for landscapes? It's not so much a case of which is better, but how to use their unique features to create a beautiful shot.

Oct 25, 2021

Architecture photography is a unique undertaking, one that allows you to highlight the design and purpose of buildings. Learn how to do that with these principles of architecture photography.

Oct 25, 2021

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

Not only is this camera harness able to carry multiple cameras, but it's also a cotton camera strap that's hugely comfortable to wear.

Oct 22, 2021

Not sure how to use a light meter? With this guide, you'll learn all about different kinds of light meters and how to use them to create improved images.

Oct 21, 2021