Shooting From A Helicopter

13 years 9 months ago #3749 by vip2010
I have been offered the opportunity to take some photos from a helicopter. How do I go about this? Do I need to use polarising filters to shoot through the glass? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

13 years 9 months ago #3778 by JB
I would use a polarized lens, that should be a fun photo shoot. What are you going to be flying over?

13 years 9 months ago #3817 by Travel Nut
That is going to be fun and a experience. Do you get motion sick? If so prepare for that. Now regarding the polarized filter. Yes you will need it if you are photographing through the window.

13 years 9 months ago #3952 by vip2010
Thanks for all the advice. We will be flying over the grand canyon, I think it is going to be so much fun.

13 years 9 months ago #4112 by The Gardener

vip2010 wrote: Thanks for all the advice. We will be flying over the grand canyon, I think it is going to be so much fun.

You need a assistant for the trip? LOL

Photo Comments
13 years 9 months ago #4416 by Lucky One
Sounds like a good time, post up some photos after!

13 years 9 months ago #4481 by phototex
The "windows" are usually plexiglass, not glass, and they're often scratched. You might ask the pilot if he/she will leave the door off one side for you. The worst answer would be "No," but you'll at least have asked. Make sure you have a good zoom lens, and if you're shooting through the plexiglass, keep your lens as close to it as possible. Have a great trip!

13 years 9 months ago #4751 by Casey T
That sounds like fun, but I would be scared. I don't like heights. :(

My Passion is being behind my camera and my family.
Photo Comments
13 years 9 months ago #4902 by tedwash
Shutter speed is more important that aperture when shooting from a helicopter. Depending on the winds at the altitude that you will be flying, you may encounter vibrations, especially if you are in a piston powered helicopter like the Robinson R22 or R44. Try and shoot at least 1/500 sec shutter speed. If you are able to fly with the doors off, duct tape the release of your seat belt so it will not release if you get a camera strap caught in it.

13 years 8 months ago #5884 by Jimmy
Use a high shutter speed and be careful that you do not get the blades or any other part of the aircraft in your photo.

13 years 8 months ago #7004 by Happy Hour
So how did this turn out? Any photos to share?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Latest Articles

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Concert photography is a tricky beast, and presents challenges like fast-moving action, low lighting, and considerations for other concertgoers. Learn how to get better results in this guide!

Jul 07, 2024

Black and white nature photography is a fun, yet challenging pursuit that allows you to focus viewers’ attention on the textures and patterns of nature. The result? A gorgeous stripped-down representation of nature.

Jul 07, 2024