What is slowest shutter speed while hand held camera?

10 years 2 months ago #5026 by April77
Is there a rule of thumb when hand holding your camera? I have made the move to starting to shoot more in manual mode rather than the automatic settings. Yes I'm a newbie in photography. I've noticed that I can shoot around 1/30 and I start losing some clarity. Either way I think I might need to get a tripod.

April

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 2 months ago #5029 by Screamin Scott
The rule back in film days was 1/focal length. Thus a 200mm lens requires a 1/200th shutter speed (it will actually be 1/250th on the camea as there is no 1/200th) If you brace well & don't hold your breath, you can get another stop. With "crop" sensor cameras this changes. A 200mm lens has the FOV of a 300mm lens on a Nikon 1.5x crop camera & thus you would need a shutter speed of 1/300. A 100mm setting would need a shutter speed of 1/150th (you could likely get by with the 1/125th)...Hope this helps! And yes, a good tripod works wonders...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

10 years 2 months ago #5031 by Tennis Guy

Screamin Scott wrote: The rule back in film days was 1/focal length. Thus a 200mm lens requires a 1/200th shutter speed (it will actually be 1/250th on the camea as there is no 1/200th) If you brace well & don't hold your breath, you can get another stop. With "crop" sensor cameras this changes. A 200mm lens has the FOV of a 300mm lens on a Nikon 1.5x crop camera & thus you would need a shutter speed of 1/300. A 100mm setting would need a shutter speed of 1/150th (you could likely get by with the 1/125th)...Hope this helps! And yes, a good tripod works wonders...

I agree, very good post

10 years 2 months ago #5032 by Dan Dangerfield
Anything under 1/100 I will shoot with tripod. Depends also on your lens, do you have VR (vibration reduction)?

10 years 2 months ago #5091 by April77
Ok understood. Thanks ;)

Speaking of tripods, any recommendations? I've been looking around and have found so many brands, wood ones, aluminum ones, carbon fiber ones... geessssss! What is the difference from wood, aluminum or carbon fiber? I understand the material of course, but why one over the other?

10 years 2 months ago #5108 by James L

April77 wrote: Ok understood. Thanks ;)

Speaking of tripods, any recommendations? I've been looking around and have found so many brands, wood ones, aluminum ones, carbon fiber ones... geessssss! What is the difference from wood, aluminum or carbon fiber? I understand the material of course, but why one over the other?

Vanguard and Manfrotto make a good carbon fiber tripod

Photo Comments

10 years 2 months ago #5261 by FunnyGuy
Depends on what lens I'm using. Generally I won't hand hold when I get below 1/100 sec.

10 years 2 months ago #5307 by VictorS

FunnyGuy wrote: Depends on what lens I'm using. Generally I won't hand hold when I get below 1/100 sec.

I'm with you, anything less than 1/100 use a tripod

Photo Comments

10 years 2 months ago #5883 by Jimmy
I find that the rule screamin scott gave still holds true today...

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic photography tips, you'll learn about four exciting ways to print your photos that will help you bring your images to life.

Jan 22, 2021

There are plenty of reasons why you should use a teleprompter, not the least of which is to have better eye contact with the camera.

Jan 21, 2021

Learn how to get more leads by optimizing your website and making it as user-friendly as possible. More leads equals more business, so this is an easy way to boost your bottom line.

Jan 19, 2021

Use these simple mobile photography tips to get better results whether you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Jan 19, 2021

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021