white balance?

10 years 10 months ago #7348 by DChavez
I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a hard time taking pictures of snow. do i need to change my white balance setting?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 10 months ago #7351 by EdG
I'll be checking back to see what help you get on this. I am ver interested!

10 years 9 months ago #7378 by Solstar
If you think you are having white-balance problems, try shooting in RAW. That will allow you change the white balance after the fact to match the conditions or the look that you want. RAW will also allow you to fiddle with contrast to help get a different look. If you have a polarizing filter try a few shots with that and see how it changes your results.

10 years 9 months ago #7385 by Nod
Try metering off of something other than the snow, if you meter the snow the camera will try to make it gray. If it's a clear day, meter the sky or if it's cloudy, meter off of a tree or something darker than the snow. Or as suggested, shoot in RAW and fix the whites later.

10 years 9 months ago #7386 by Screamin Scott
Normal rule of thumb was to overexpose the scene by 1 1/2 to 2 stops...Otherwise the cameras meter tries to record the snow as a "neutral gray"...Of course this is just a starting point as different scenes will have different amounts of snow reflecting light, it would be best to bracket your shots...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: DChavez

10 years 9 months ago #7725 by DChavez
Okay I have another bone head queation..RAW? How do I do that? I'm going to have to do some research. Thanks for taking the time and the help!

10 years 9 months ago #8102 by Solstar
RAW format allows you to edit a number of parameters in the image before converting it to another format (generally JPEG). RAW takes in all the information the sensor can without compressing it. You will need software to make the adjustments, though this is generally provided with your camera. Using RAW has saved me more than once when I made modest exposure or color mistakes.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

In the latest installment of our holiday gift guides, we present some great gifts for photographers that are all priced at $25 or less.

Sep 22, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

If you aren't sure what the difference between photo restoration and photo retouching is, check out this quick explainer guideline.

Sep 20, 2021

With these accessories for micro four-thirds cameras, you'll be able to improve your workflow and expand the functionality of your camera.

Sep 17, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

One of the most common ways of upselling clients is to offer prints. But how to get your clients to buy more prints can be a mystery. Here's how.

Sep 16, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

With these wedding photography accessories, you'll not only look good, but you'll also have gear that helps improve your workflow.

Sep 16, 2021