when to flash?

10 years 9 months ago #7896 by ErnieL
I am unsure when to use my flash when taking outdoor pictures. When I think I need it things look too bright, but too dark if I dont. What am I doing incorrect?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #7913 by Screamin Scott
It helps to use the flash for "fill" lighting...Look in your cameras manual & see if this is available for your onboard flash. If not, invest in a good external one (once again, if your camera can mount one)...Fill flash is good for getting good exposure when the light source is directly behind your subject. It allso helps to get your flash off of the camera as you get more natural looking shots. that way...Are you shooting with a DSLR? or a point & shoot camera?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

10 years 9 months ago #8099 by Joves
I have to agree with Scott. When the subject is heavily back lit or the backround is. Or the subject is lit from one side to balance out the light on the darker side, this is where you need the flash off camera. As an example this shot I took of a butterfly.

THe lighter part of the backround was blowing totally out, with the flash it balanced. Another example is when you are shooing near a window from a dark area. This one the image in the window was white so I used the flash just enough to get the view outside the window and preserve the shadows from the sun exposing the back. Also I metered off the widow frame to get a happy medium for the difference between the ligh and dark but, exposed on the darkside. Ignore the circles those show some noise from my sensor, I used at another forum to show what noise looked like.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021

If you think a nearly decade-old camera can't still hack it, you're wrong. Though it isn't perfect, the Fujifilm X-E2 is still a solid camera.

Sep 02, 2021

Latest Articles

If you aren't sure what the difference between photo restoration and photo retouching is, check out this quick explainer guideline.

Sep 20, 2021

With these accessories for micro four-thirds cameras, you'll be able to improve your workflow and expand the functionality of your camera.

Sep 17, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

One of the most common ways of upselling clients is to offer prints. But how to get your clients to buy more prints can be a mystery. Here's how.

Sep 16, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

With these wedding photography accessories, you'll not only look good, but you'll also have gear that helps improve your workflow.

Sep 16, 2021

There are many benefits of buying used lenses, not the least of which is that you can save some money. Check out this guide for even more reasons to buy used.

Sep 15, 2021

Understanding what to charge for commercial real estate photography services is paramount to your success - now and in the future.

Sep 14, 2021