keeping everyone in focus

10 years 9 months ago #8462 by Meghann83
I have a nikon d3000 camera and I was just trying to take a nice family portrait of me and my family, but I cant seem to get everyone in focus. Does anyone have an idea as to what settings I should be using for an indoor family portrait where everyone is in focus? Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #9688 by Rob pix4u2
Use an f stop of at least 5.6 or 8 and bounce your flash off of the ceiling if you have an accessory flash unit( one that isn't the pop up on the camera body) This way the lighting will be even and eliminate "red eye" of direct flash. The depth of field of f 5.6 or f 8 should be enough to keep everyone in focus from front to back in the pic. If your camera has depth of field preview feature use that to check focus. If not focus on the closest subject and shoot a frame then refocus on the farthest subject and shoot a frame. Then try to focus in the middle of the two points and shoot a frame. this "bracketing" should result in a photo that has everyone in focus in at least one of the three frames. Hope this helps solve your problem and Happy Shooting !

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

10 years 8 months ago #9704 by luckywish1
what is the nikon d3000 like? does it keep everything in focus?

10 years 8 months ago #9725 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #9732 by Screamin Scott

luckywish1 wrote: what is the nikon d3000 like? does it keep everything in focus?

Depth of field is a function of the lens aperture setting, subject distance & lighting....The camera model has nothing to do with it...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

10 years 8 months ago #9753 by Joves
Also I will touch on flash a bit. If all you have is the cameras onboard flash they you can diffuse it with thing tissue paper, coffee filters (white) and tracing paper. You will want to test shoot with it to get an idea of how it affects the flash. I use the manual settings on the flash output to get the proper illumination when using a diffuser. Smaller apertures will give you greater depths of field as has been stated. Also you can set the focus by going to Single AF and focusing the family and then going to manual to keep it there.Then set the timer if you are trying to get in the photo.

10 years 8 months ago #9787 by Meghann83
Thanks to everyone. I will keep these handy tricks in mind!

10 years 8 months ago #9812 by Scotty

Screamin Scott wrote:

luckywish1 wrote: what is the nikon d3000 like? does it keep everything in focus?

Depth of field is a function of the lens aperture setting, subject distance & lighting....The camera model has nothing to do with it...

Correct.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021

If you think a nearly decade-old camera can't still hack it, you're wrong. Though it isn't perfect, the Fujifilm X-E2 is still a solid camera.

Sep 02, 2021

Latest Articles

If you aren't sure what the difference between photo restoration and photo retouching is, check out this quick explainer guideline.

Sep 20, 2021

With these accessories for micro four-thirds cameras, you'll be able to improve your workflow and expand the functionality of your camera.

Sep 17, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

One of the most common ways of upselling clients is to offer prints. But how to get your clients to buy more prints can be a mystery. Here's how.

Sep 16, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

With these wedding photography accessories, you'll not only look good, but you'll also have gear that helps improve your workflow.

Sep 16, 2021

There are many benefits of buying used lenses, not the least of which is that you can save some money. Check out this guide for even more reasons to buy used.

Sep 15, 2021

Understanding what to charge for commercial real estate photography services is paramount to your success - now and in the future.

Sep 14, 2021