A feel for being there.

4 years 3 months ago #671691 by Tom-Dinning
“You had to have been there” is a common comment when people view my photos and respond politely with “that’s interesting” then ask for another drink or head for the loo.

Ive seen pictures of Venice in magazines and forums that show me the tourist stuff better than I could take it.
i might wonder why I would bother taking a photo of my wife, say, in another f***ing gondola. I know what both look lik without being reminded when I get home.

aome years back I decided I would capture what I thought was a feeling for being there. The shots might seem careless mistakes. They are not. 

Staircase in Vizensa.

Make: FUJIFILM
Model: X-T1
Lens: XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS
ISO: 400
Aperture: f/20.0
Shutter speed: 1/4 sec
Captured: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 0:03am

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 3 months ago #671743 by Breanna Ellington
Nice render here! Well done for the tones here. 

4 years 3 months ago #671871 by Kira Minori
I think this is very interesting and to be honest, I like the feels of the shot. 

4 years 3 months ago #671995 by garyrhook
$0.02

You finally hit upon it in your 3rd paragraph.

If you want others to be interested in your work, you have two choices:
  1. shock/surprise them
  2. create an emotional connection.
Instagram is driven by the former. And that (unfortunately) makes images disposable, IMNSHO.

As for the latter, the responses you've gotten tell you that this is true, and your viewers are not finding that engagement. So you are left with:
  1. being satisfied with the images as memories for you and yours, or
  2. working harder to create that connection. That's what drives many photographers.
It's your choice. The image of the stairway is somewhat interesting; I don't care for the two faces nearest the camera, but I see what you are trying to do. I also like the tones of the image. It does not seem a careless mistake, although I don't know that it's as successful as you'd like.

But I think, with some intention to the craft, you could make some lovely images.

And I'm glad you shared.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671999 by Tom-Dinning

garyrhook wrote: $0.02

You finally hit upon it in your 3rd paragraph.

If you want others to be interested in your work, you have two choices:

1. shock/surprise them
  2. create an emotional connection.
Instagram is driven by the former. And that (unfortunately) makes images disposable, IMNSHO.

As for the latter, the responses you've gotten tell you that this is true, and your viewers are not finding that engagement. So you are left with:
  1. being satisfied with the images as memories for you and yours, or
  2. working harder to create that connection. That's what drives many photographers.
It's your choice. The image of the stairway is somewhat interesting; I don't care for the two faces nearest the camera, but I see what you are trying to do. I also like the tones of the image. It does not seem a careless mistake, although I don't know that it's as successful as you'd like.

But I think, with some intention to the craft, you could make some lovely images.

And I'm glad you shared.

such is the way of personal choices, Gary.
firstly, I’m here to express a personal opinion regarding my approach to photography. It’s a work in progress, although I do find it physically challenging these days.
so I write about my experiences.
Im not particularly concerned if other find my photos (not work) interesting. That might seem strange but I’ve always seen photography as a sort of personal therapy. It’s only in recent years I’ve been encouraged to present my photos to public forums like this.
what I do find is the incredible difference in approach I and others have to taking photographs.
people talk of rules, cameras, composition, detail, and most of all, their liking (or not) for the image in question. So strange. they talk of aesthetics as if that’s the only reason why people shoot. 
I generalise of cause.
we all have our reasons.
As for the interest of others, I’m of the ilk that if one is not interested they are either uninteresting or should get interested.
interest isn’t a possession of the photo. It’s a characteristic of the beholder. We don’t take interesting photos; we show photos to interested people.
if all they can say is “nice shot” or “good tones” is is an indication that they probably have either a limited interest or limited knowledge.

whether you care for the faces near the camera is irrelevant to my needs or anyone else’s. That’s your preference based on your own preferences. You didn’t take the picture, nor was the picture taken for you in particular. It was posted as an example of how to deal with crowds in the street. 
I m sure you have your own methods of doing that, based on the way you want your photos to look.

and finally, do you see what conversation and exchange of ideas takes place when a simple photograph is the centre of attention? 

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672000 by Tom-Dinning
Make: FUJIFILM
Model: X-E2
Lens: XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/9.0
Shutter speed: 1/480 sec
Captured: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 19:38pm

one aspect of tourist photography that can create a problem is the opposing tourist group who persist in spending all day blocking the shot.
I sont fight it any more. They get included. 

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 3 months ago #672864 by Jack Mason
This is a nice way to approach it. Touristic places could really be a problem. 

4 years 2 months ago #674084 by Kelly Emery
I think you did well for what was on your plate! 

4 years 1 week ago #681343 by Hannah Williams
Well, this is creative. it is not distracting at all. 

4 years 1 week ago #681612 by Stephen Graham
Good composition! Nice idea to include them in your shots. 

4 years 1 week ago #681796 by Sarit Kevesh
Right. Nice concept. 

3 years 8 months ago #692765 by jasonlee3071
I would look it at it as street photography. Rather than regard the tourists as an obstacle or distration the photo could be also about them. It could be an illustration of tourism in action.

3 years 6 months ago #696689 by saponcpa
Well done. This is street photography and parts of the photo are a blur. No matter Well done.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024