A State of Mind

4 years 1 month ago #674376 by Tom-Dinning
All imagery is approached by the photographer with a state of mind in progress. This is the guiding factor that will drive the photographer to their desired goal.

It is the starting point the motivation the determinant that will develop all aspects of the process and result, and eventually to the manner in which it is presented to others.

When I enter a church or other place of worship I am very conscious of my state of mind. My emotions will be driven by my dismay at the opulence, distaste for the decode, ridicule of those who believe there are answers here, disgust at the hold religion has on such a large number of gullible and vulnerable people.

i know I reflect that in my hesitation in even entering such places. 
Yet I do.
As a result the images often have a purpose; to demonstrate my feelings, not in a blatant way but in a subtle, often sarcastic and usually demonstrative of the power churches have over the thoughts and minds of people.
not everyone gets it. It’s important that I do. It is my private dispute with theism.

Make: FUJIFILM
Model: X-T1
Lens: XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS
ISO: 1600
Aperture: f/4.5
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 17:27pm

ISO: 400
Aperture: f/3.6
Shutter speed: 1/13 sec
Captured: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 17:25pm

Aperture: f/4.0
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Captured: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 17:28pm

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON 1 J5
Lens: 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/50 sec
Captured: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 18:09pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 1 month ago #674446 by Aaron Rogers
The 3rd shot is really nice! 

4 years 1 month ago #674459 by Nikon Shooter
The first two shots are splendidly theatrical. The third could
be as well but the key is a tad too high. Very cool stuff, Tom.

I had the same issues with theism but now it's far behind me.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674481 by Tom-Dinning

Nikon Shooter wrote: The first two shots are splendidly theatrical. The third could

The ‘key’, whatever that is, must be right. The photo is as I want it.
thanks anyway. 
I have no intention of leaving theism behind as long as it exists. It’s a nasty thorn in the side of humanity that poisons everything. 

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674509 by Tom-Dinning

Nikon Shooter wrote: The first two shots are splendidly theatrical. The third could

Sorry to be a bother, Nik.
I was distracted by the word KEY in your statement so I went to the library (remember them? ) and found a book by Michael Freeman. He seems to know his stuff so I’ll go with him. Tell me if you think he’s wrong.
He tells me a photo that is High Key as you suggest mine might be is one in which most of the tones are exposed in the upper section of the histogram. In other words there’s little or no representation of blacks or darks.. a sort of over exposed shot if you will.
i looked at the histogram of my shot and the tones are pretty much evenly distributed over the entire histogram. That makes for a more tempered result. Sure, the window is over exposed but hats so God can see in and sprinkle his magic.

what do you think?

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674511 by Nikon Shooter

Tom-Dinning wrote: I have no intention of leaving theism behind as long as it exists. It’s a nasty thorn in the side of humanity that poisons everything. 

Agreed, totally.

Poison is what it is. Talking to it rationally, kindly, pouring it
into a nicer bottle won't help in any way. So I let it be, stored
in a safe place and won't spend more time on it… as long as
it is kept out of reach.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674512 by Nikon Shooter

Tom-Dinning wrote: He tells me a photo that is High Key as you suggest mine might be is one in which most of the tones are exposed in the upper section of the histogram. In other words there’s little or no representation of blacks or darks.. a sort of over exposed shot if you will.

Correct. My comment said "a tad too high" to be at the same
cinematic theatrical key
but did not say this is a high key take.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674526 by Tom-Dinning

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Tom-Dinning wrote: He tells me a photo that is High Key as you suggest mine might be is one in which most of the tones are exposed in the upper section of the histogram. In other words there’s little or no representation of blacks or darks.. a sort of over exposed shot if you will.

Correct. My comment said "a tad too high" to be at the same
cinematic theatrical key
but did not say this is a high key take.

since I’m not familiar with “..cinematic theatrical key” and neither is Freeman I suspect since he didn’t mention it then you could be right, Nik.
These shots were not intended a a series or set, just random shots emphasising differing aspects of my state of mind.
i find even from the same place my approach to the final outcome will vary greatly from image to image. I guess this is the freedom I take advantage of, being completely independent and dissociated for the view of others. It also allows my thoughts and resulting actions to wonder freely through different processes quite experimentally and surprise myself with an outcome I haven’t seen before. Even to the point of being contrary to how I first perceived the outcome.

The pleasure in this is that even the images that fail to impress me are worthy of my recognition in some way. 

I guess this is the thing that concerns me most about forums such as this. People are either liking an image and say no more or want to channel the result into something they do like. So the dependency of result is more in the hands of the admirer than the maker. It also can result in a sort of mass production of similar outcomes. 

my emphasis has always been to direct my attention on what it is I want to say in an image. Some days it’s not understood by others but that’s the nature of any interpretation. It’s like when my wife misunderstands me. I tell her I meant it the other way.
then there’s the idea that more subtle, less obvious, requires some debate, has an element of irony, or is tucked away in symbolism, metaphors and puzzles to be solved.
Not everything must be blatant and easily understood. 
as I’ve said before, I like the idea that a viewer might be puzzled as to why I have done what I have done. WTF is a more satisfying response for me than “I like it”.
if you have the time, patience and willingness, next time I post an image you might first assume that what you see is exactly as I meant it and that is the basis upon which you assess the contents and context. That means instead of thinking about how you might have some it, think about why I might have done it this way.
You might get it totally wrong but I’m not going to tell you and think of how much photography you will have learned.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #676525 by Sara Miles
The caption poses strong convictions. Nice! I like the first two shots as well on how you played with the lighting in here. 

4 years 1 month ago #676927 by Breanna Ellington
:judge:  Nice set! 

4 years 1 week ago #679478 by Lauren Grant
The 3rd shot is indeed really nice. 

4 years 1 week ago #679697 by Kelly Emery
This set is well-rendered. Well done! 

4 years 3 days ago #680197 by Jin Hyuk Kwon
The 3rd is my favorite but the highlight is a bit too strong. 

4 years 2 days ago #680247 by Shadowfixer1
:thumbsup:
4 years 1 day ago #680442 by Sarit Kevesh
Nice render! I like the concept. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024