What sort of life span are you getting from your camera batteries?

12 years 4 months ago #164317 by Mah and PaH
I just ordered some new batteries from B&H and after thinking about this I realized I've only had these 2 batteries for about a year. About a year ago I picked up 2 new batteries and I'm getting new ones because it seems they aren't holding a good charge these days. After a 1-2 hours of shooting it's time to replace new battery into camera.

I asked a girl friend of mine who does a lot of weddings and she said she's getting years out of her batteries. I'm wondering what others are getting in terms of life span. If everyone is getting "years" then I'm wondering if something in my camera might be screwed up to cause the batteries to drain so quickly?

12 years 4 months ago #164342 by Ed Pray
I am getting about 3yrs out of my batteries.

12 years 4 months ago #164343 by IGH78
I believe the charge from batteries all depends on the brand you buy, how hard you use the batteries, if you let the battery drain all the way down or not before you charge it etc..

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #164348 by Baydream
I am still using the original batteries that came with my Canon XT (2006) and Xsi (about 2009) so am getting years of heavy use from them. In the early years with the XT, I shot everything in Auto modes (focus, ISO, and IS on my 70-300) so I pretty much maxed out the usage. For the XSi, I added a grip/battery holder and additional Canon battery and seem to be able to shoot forever between charges on they keep on giving.

Non-OEM batteries may not have the life expectancy of OEM and the price difference spread over years is not that great. Most newer batteries do not have that "storage memory" that requires the battery to be run way down before recharging like earlier units..

Storage in extreme conditions (heat) can affect battery life.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #164419 by Mayo
Are you letting your batteries drain down 100% before charging them? If not this is why you may not be getting good batter life.

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #164581 by geoffellis

Mayo wrote: Are you letting your batteries drain down 100% before charging them? If not this is why you may not be getting good batter life.

This is bad advice. He shoots a D80 and D300. These cameras use a Lithium-Ion battery. This means that discharging 100% can actually cause problems. You may not be able to charge a fully discharged lithium-ion battery (theres a feature on most batteries that actually disable the battery if the internal voltage drops too low)

In fact, the best way to store them is at 40-60% charge. You can also charge as many times as you want. charging at 50% does not reduce battery life in any way. they have a fixed life cycle. charging at 50% 2 days in a row is still considered 1 charge cycle. same as if you charged at 80% 5 days in a row... its cumulative.

I myself use a D80 - and i have the same battery that i got with the camera i bought in early 2008, so im going up on 4 years of use. I dont have a ton of time, nor am i a professional, so i dont do any serious days of shooting more than once a month usually (although a single day ive been known to do 1200 shooting an event). In between use though i leave the battery in the camera. i wont usually wont even charge it before my next use if its still half full unless i plan on a very heavy day of shooting. otherwise i can spend a day shooting 600 photos with a half full battery and still have more than enough juice that im not even worried. this is if its a normal day... if its a really cold day (which can happen in canada lol) then its more of an issue. heck in march in Vancouver they have a week long celtic celebration... on a single charge i can photograph the entire weeks events (3k photos avg) on the same charge.

but anyways, ive shot about 25,000 photos in just under 4 years and the battery still performs wonderfully. no noticeable loss in performance... although depending on storage you can lose between 2-30% performance per year (2% is best case scenario, you cant avoid it, 30% if you treat the battery horrible).
12 years 4 months ago #164584 by Eddy

geoffellis wrote:

Mayo wrote: Are you letting your batteries drain down 100% before charging them? If not this is why you may not be getting good batter life.

This is bad advice. He shoots a D80 and D300. These cameras use a Lithium-Ion battery. This means that discharging 100% can actually cause problems. You may not be able to charge a fully discharged lithium-ion battery (theres a feature on most batteries that actually disable the battery if the internal voltage drops too low)

In fact, the best way to store them is at 40-60% charge. You can also charge as many times as you want. charging at 50% does not reduce battery life in any way. they have a fixed life cycle. charging at 50% 2 days in a row is still considered 1 charge cycle. same as if you charged at 80% 5 days in a row... its cumulative.

I myself use a D80 - and i have the same battery that i got with the camera i bought in early 2008, so im going up on 4 years of use. I dont have a ton of time, nor am i a professional, so i dont do any serious days of shooting more than once a month usually (although a single day ive been known to do 1200 shooting an event). In between use though i leave the battery in the camera. i wont usually wont even charge it before my next use if its still half full unless i plan on a very heavy day of shooting. otherwise i can spend a day shooting 600 photos with a half full battery and still have more than enough juice that im not even worried. this is if its a normal day... if its a really cold day (which can happen in canada lol) then its more of an issue. heck in march in Vancouver they have a week long celtic celebration... on a single charge i can photograph the entire weeks events (3k photos avg) on the same charge.

but anyways, ive shot about 25,000 photos in just under 4 years and the battery still performs wonderfully. no noticeable loss in performance... although depending on storage you can lose between 2-30% performance per year (2% is best case scenario, you cant avoid it, 30% if you treat the battery horrible).

:agree: good post

12 years 4 months ago #164939 by Janos
Never had a battery go bad

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024