Ball Head vs 3-way Pan/Tilt Head

12 years 1 month ago #202965 by Baydream
Been looking at tripod/BH combos in the $170 to $240 price range. Recently looking at Giottos, Manfrotto and Vanguard brands.
Looking at tripods that allow low angle shots and think I prefer the flip lever leg locks.

One question I have is the choice of a Ball Head or a 3-way Pan/Tilt Head. Shoot a lot of wildlife, etc. so trying to decide which will be better for me.

Any opinions?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #202970 by mattmoran
I think you want a ball head. With a pan/tilt head you will need to loosen and tighten at least two levers to change viewpoint. With a ball head there is only one.

-Matt
12 years 1 month ago #203033 by cod
I used a basic Manfrotto pan-tilt head for years, with bugs and birds being a common subject. Eventually I made the switch to a quality ball head (Arca-Swiss B1) and have never looked back. Repositioning the head is much faster and smoother. The adjustable tension control allows for smoother tracking. Of the two, I'd recommend a ball head.

Having said that I also purchased a gimbal head for my 400mm f/5.6 and 70-200 f/2.8 a year ago and that's the best of the lot for tracking moving life forms.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 1 month ago #203064 by Stealthy Ninja

mattmoran wrote: I think you want a ball head. With a pan/tilt head you will need to loosen and tighten at least two levers to change viewpoint. With a ball head there is only one.

+1
12 years 1 month ago #203157 by robbie

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

mattmoran wrote: I think you want a ball head. With a pan/tilt head you will need to loosen and tighten at least two levers to change viewpoint. With a ball head there is only one.

+1

:agree:
+2
Bought a generic sidekick off Ebay years ago,still works great when I uses it.

12 years 1 month ago #203170 by Screamin Scott
Pan/tilt heads are normally better with video setups...Ball heads are better for stills IMHO...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #205865 by Shadowfixer1
I have an old Bogen ball head. I don't recall the number. A few years ago I thought I would prefer the Manfrotto 3047 Pan-Tilt but after buying it and using it a couple of times, I went back to my ballhead. My ballhead is similar to this one.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368324-RE...c_Ballhead_with.html
12 years 3 weeks ago #205925 by Baydream
I'm sure I will going with the ball head. Now to find the right combo of legs and head to fit my budget. Been looking at the incredible array of legs and ball heads (making sure the match). First I want to choose legs that will be sturdy and allow me to get low for macro shots, then to find a head capable of holding my 60D with a 70-300IS. The combo weighs about 3 lbs. so I want to at least double that for stability.
Just at B&H there are 300 legs and over 400 heads. Whew. What a choice. :blink:

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #206035 by shelland

Baydream wrote: I'm sure I will going with the ball head. Now to find the right combo of legs and head to fit my budget. Been looking at the incredible array of legs and ball heads (making sure the match).

Can I ask what's on your narrowed list so far?

I'm in the market for a tripod upgrade myself for my 60D and 70-200 lens (or smaller ones). Right now I just have a Velbon with pan head that just doesn't work well for photography. I'm leaning toward this combo myself at the moment: www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/718590-RE...Tripod_Legs_Kit.html

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

12 years 3 weeks ago #206048 by Stealthy Ninja

Screamin Scott wrote: Pan/tilt heads are normally better with video setups...Ball heads are better for stills IMHO...

You're right, but he's talking about a 3 way head. Which is a good head for macro/landscape work.

3 way head:

Video (pan/tilt) head (I own this one):
12 years 3 weeks ago #206202 by Baydream
That is on the short list,plus:
Vanguard - Alta Pro 263AB 100 Tripod W/SBH 100 Ballhead
Oben - CC-2310L 3-Section Carbon Fiber Lateral Tripod with BB-0 Ball Head
Induro - Adventure AKB2 Tripod Kit
Manfrotto - 190XPROB Tripod Kit (Black)

Looked at the Oben legs but had trouble matching up the right ballhead.

Looking at weight, stability, versatility to get low for macro, levels in ballhead, flip lock legs. I have probably put 20 different options on my Wish List and taken that many off. The Oben legs sound good but read some weaker reviews on the ballhead (Oben is a Chinese knockoff of Gitzos).

Think I have read every review and my head wants to explode.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024