What do you consider a CHEAP tripod vs EXPENSIVE tripod?

9 years 10 months ago #382717 by The Gardener
Man tripods can cost a coin! Asking around on tripod recommendations will get you so many answers.  "Don't get a cheap one".  I get that, so what do you think is a price of a "Good" tripod?  I'm sure everyone's answer is going to be different.  But might make some interesting reading.  

Do you have the tripod that you ultimately want?  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #382723 by garyrhook
Perhaps not, just yet. I currently have a modest Dolica that I'm liking very much. Lightweight, easy to manage, versatile. Bought it used for $75, great condition.

I think when you hear "don't buy a cheap one" they mean, don't buy Velbon, or something else that costs $40. They're right. When you get to the $150-ish range you reach a reasonable quality level. If you can, go to a camera store and look at them in person, and decide what you need to be able to do before purchasing.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #382770 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh just don't buy some crappy one you might get for free with a camera.
9 years 10 months ago #382773 by KCook
For the last half century I've been getting by with those cheap tripods (lots of plastic bits).  Getting by mostly because all of my cameras were light weight.  The 50D with full frame zoom brought those shortcomings to light.  So I recently picked up my first "legit" tripod for $150 (Slik).  It does snug down a lot tighter, and weighs a ton (aluminum legs)!  The 50D is now a happy camper.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 10 months ago #382939 by Joves
Well a cheap tripod is flimsy as Kelly stated. An expensive one is built for war. I have both for different reasons. The cheapest one I have is some $10 one I got at Big Lots, it is all plastic, all the time. I use it for my speed lights as a cheap stand. I have some cheapie aluminum ones as well that are my throw aways as well, that if I destroy them then I will not cry about it. With them I use my timer so my tripping the shutter does not rock the head. My go to is my trusty Manfrotto tank tripod. Yeah it is heavy, but then I do not have to worry if my lenses will fall off of it. Just keep an eye on you local Craigs List for people selling a good tripod less expensively, or KEH has some as well. Also garage/yard sales as well. I have scored some good photo stuff at them for really cheap.

9 years 10 months ago #382942 by JeremyS
Since I to a lot of my photography when I'm on the road or travelling, I opted for a lightweight tripod because I didn't want a massive heavy tripod that would be terrible to pack in a back or in a backpack. So what makes a good tripod for me is a Lightweight, heavy load bearing (to a point), sturdy, not cheaply made, and able to be stored efficiently. 

I settled on a Manfrotto tripod, the Manfrotto beFree Compact lightweight travel tripod. Its a great tripod and its sturdy and feels well built, but it can be torn down into a very small package. Perfect for my style of photography on the road or while traveling. 

9 years 9 months ago #383806 by Scott Klubeck
Over a grand is expensive in my book, but would be nice to have!

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #383825 by Scotty
I have gitzo legs and an RSS bh-55 ballhead.  Mine came out to around 1700 total.

Worth it's weight in gold (but it doesn't way much :kmonst: )

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389638 by Daniel-Bautista
I think a cheap tripod is one that will break if you put a dslr on it with a decent lens. or at least it feels like its going to break or get blown away by the wind. All in all, cheap means bad build quality. inexpensive is another matter and it all ends up depending who you are and what your budget is. If you are a professional photographer that gets paid a ton of money to work, and your camera with lens weights over 5 kg, then you're going to have to pay a lot for your tripod. Are you really going to put a 7000 US Dollar camera with a 3000 US dollar lens on a 50 dollar tripod?

I have a bunch of different tripods. My first tripod was a CHEAP POS that came with my first DSLR, a Nikon D5000. Yes, it was a super cheap tripod and I was afraid when my camera was on it. I upgraded to a Manfrotto (forgot the model number) with a decent ball head and that cost about 150 US Dollars. I bought it in Europe so the price was in euros and I think the model numbers change here as well.

My current tripod is a Three Legged Thing called the Adrian. It is awesome. Here's a link:
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Bran...075788742+4185058479

I bought the airhead ball head to go with it and it is very sturdy and well made. One of the legs can be detached so it can be used as a monopod. I love this tripod. The build quality is excellent and the customer service is second to none. Someone stole the monopod leg while I was on a trip in northern Spain and the company sent me a replacement leg ASAP without charging me anything.

9 years 9 months ago #389661 by Stealthy Ninja

Daniel-Bautista wrote: My current tripod is a Three Legged Thing called the Adrian. It is awesome.

Well... 3 legged is a bit of a stretch, but I have been complimented before on my... ahem... size... :toocrazy:
9 years 9 months ago #389820 by garyrhook

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Daniel-Bautista wrote: My current tripod is a Three Legged Thing called the Adrian. It is awesome.

Well... 3 legged is a bit of a stretch, but I have been complimented before on my... ahem... size... :toocrazy:

Seriously? I mean, seriously? And I get jumped on for proactively pointing out something that has become patently clear over the last few weeks?

Sheesh.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024