Camera backpack recommendations

8 years 7 months ago #452274 by Wayne Tidwell
I went into a camera store this week and must have tried on 4 or 5 back packs and found them to be either really cheap feeling or just not comfortable at all.   

Is there a medium to large photographers backpack you can recommend that is comfortable AND built to last?   

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452285 by JeremyS
Personally,

I'd take a look at this bag:  store.lowepro.com/backpacks/flipside-sport-20l-aw
I shoot with it after I wanted a bag that could be stowed and that has lots of space. I can fit a gripped Nikon D800 w/24-70 or similar lens attached and 3 other lenses. It is a great bag and with a removable insert you can literally roll the bag up into a ball after you take out the inserts and then flatten the inserts together and voila, a flatpacked backpack.

8 years 7 months ago #452293 by Soccer Mom
Have you looked at the ones from f-stop?

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452302 by Overread

Soccer Mom wrote: Have you looked at the ones from f-stop?

Good luck with inventory

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452383 by ThatNikonGuy

Takennnn wrote: Personally,

I shoot with it after I wanted a bag that could be stowed and that has lots of space. I can fit a gripped Nikon D800 w/24-70 or similar lens attached and 3 other lenses. It is a great bag and with a removable insert you can literally roll the bag up into a ball after you take out the inserts and then flatten the inserts together and voila, a flatpacked backpack.

I wish they would spice up the bags  a little :(  all these bags look the same. 

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452387 by JeremyS

ThatNikonGuy wrote:

Takennnn wrote: Personally,

I wish they would spice up the bags  a little :(  all these bags look the same. 

I totally agree with you, thats why I used to stay away from lowepro, however this backpack that I have is blue and it looks slightly different than their other bags. Their other ones I am not very keen on. 

8 years 6 months ago #452388 by Screamin Scott
I have 3 different backpacks. Small  (mini trekker) to a large F stop bag. I'm also have a convertible backpack/sling bag from Vanguard. I like the bags from Think Tank (very highly rated)  (I'm an affiliate) but alas don't have any from them  at the moment...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452533 by Shadowfixer1
I won't recommend a specific one but if you travel a lot, I would consider a rolling backpack. I have one and find it useful although some people may not and wouldn't want the added weight. It all depends on how you are going to use it. I mainly just use mine now to store my Nikon gear since I never use it anymore. My Olympus system is so small, I don't need anything large to hold it. Good luck in your search.
8 years 6 months ago #452602 by Vespista
Hi Wayne,
I've just been through this exercise and ended up with one of these and I love it!:
www.manfrotto.com/product/24329.8615.176...ackpack%3A_3N1-35_PL

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452648 by Dan McNabb
I wish some of the camera manufactures would offer more colors for the interiors

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #461300 by sclemens30
I received my Photobackpacker backpack several weeks ago from www.photobackpacker.com . I am 5'7" and have never found a camera backpack that fit me comfortably.

I cannot believe the difference this pack makes. It is like my gear weighs 1/2 its normal weight.. They advertise a true "mountaineering" suspension but that meant nothing to me until I tried it on. This is amazing. Photobackpacker advertises a semi-custom fit for men and women ranging from 5' tall to 6' 3" tall and I couldn't be happier. I can't speak to the taller fit but for someone who is on the short side, this is the answer.

8 years 4 months ago #461677 by Dogpilot
I have tried several different backpacks.  I just sold the latest, the Thinktank Streetwalker Pro.  It felt like I was wearing a block of foam on my back.  Most of these designs are for riding the subway vice actual hiking. I have a couple of Lowepro's, the 200 AW is decent for hiking as the back is flexible, but it is a Body and couple of small lenses at best. The other is their Flipside.  I don't hike with it, it is as uncomfortable as the Thinktank (Think: TANK). I found that the insert to hold all the equipment is removable.  So I use that, it has nice handles that allow you to carry it like a tool tray.  I strap into the aircraft seat next to me when I do aerial oblique photography.

If I actually have to hike, I use either my Kinesis Journeyman pack or my Osprey Kestrel pack with Domke photo wraps around the camera and lenses. The photo backpacks are poorly designed, heavy and uncomfortable for hiking any distance.  They don't breathe or let you back ventilate and the straps are poor to say the least.  Get a decent pack and some wraps, or step up to a professional grade unit like the Kinesis.

8 years 4 months ago #462811 by goodoldroute15
Take a look at the Ikigai Rival backpack. Very comfortable and easy on/off.

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463057 by effron
Lots of recommendations, but you neglected to let us know what you'll be doing with the backpack. A grab and go, every day bag or a hiking unit that also requires lots of accessory space, tripod carrier, etc? I have quite a few backpacks and "love" none. I use a couple for different bags depending on what I'll be doing but have yet to find the perfect backpack. You need to continue getting to sellers and trying them on....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024