How are you carring your camera on hikes?

8 years 7 months ago #452539 by Carry
Happy Sunday PT!

We just got back from a 11 mile hike this morning and my shoulders are hurting from having my camera over my shoulder.   What are you using while on hikes?

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452607 by garyrhook
Back atcha.

What does this mean? On a sling? Neck strap? Messenger bag? What?

I have a LowePro SlingShot 240 that I like very much. But it's a backpack. I never hike with my camera out; I need both hands available.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452621 by Vahrenkamp
I have a Black Rapid RS7 and Spider Holster that works good for my needs

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452637 by Screamin Scott
Spider holster for me as well on long hikes....

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452664 by KCook
I have a "light" class slingbag ("light" may as well mean "narrow").  It has a very heavily padded strap, so comfort is not an issue.  But a big shoulder bag can also be worn across the opposite shoulder, so all that padding may be the real solution.

In theory you can access a sling bag without taking it off.  But in practice that does not work out so well.  Sling bags may be the worst of both worlds.

bagbum

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 7 months ago #452935 by KenMan
Cotton Carrier

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #461678 by Dogpilot
I personally have pretty much given up on camera backpacks. I found get a decent backpack and some Domke photo wraps (soft squares with velcro corners).  I toss the wrapped up equipment in a real backpack. So I can take shots without fishing around for the camera, I make my own straps from climbing gear.  I put a loop in the webbing as to pass a carabiner throng it and snap it to the backpacks straps at pectoral level. The body is still on its regular strap, after I unsnap the carabiner from the loop.

I am a geologist, so I hike all the time and take pictures all the time to document the work.  Normally I use one of my walk around lenses and have macro gear and a medium tele in the backpack with my other tools of the trade. We all tend to be equipment junkies, but really I did a full circle on backpacks, thinking they had gotten better, but I was deceived. The only time I really use the Lowepro 200 is when I ride my mountain bike and I want to lug along a camera. I don't do that too often as the backpack covers too much of your back and you tend to overheat on a long ride.

8 years 5 months ago #461694 by Nathan D
Spider Holster single

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #461956 by foxX
Neck strap for short ones and spider holster for longer hikes

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #461957 by foxX
Neck strap for short ones and spider holster for longer hikes

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #461967 by Screamin Scott
Short hikes with no other gear, I'll use a hand strap...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #462003 by Stealthy Ninja
the best choice (as mentioned above) is the cotton carrier.
8 years 5 months ago #462009 by hghlndr6
Capture camera clip.
Just walking around, my camera is on an upstrap bandolier but it's supported by the capture clip on my belt.  If I'm hiking and wearing a backpack, the camera and clip is on the backpack strap.  Very versatile clip includes quick-release plate that fits my tripod and monopod.  look here:  peakdesignltd.com/landing/capturepro/?ut...tm_campaign=winter15

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024