Best travel tripod for DSLR

7 years 9 months ago #489563 by Joelle Shields
Are there any travel tripods that are any good?  I bought one of those MeFoto tripods last year and it's already not trusted.  I've had one of the legs collapse on me.  I'll use it for my light weight mirrorless point and shoot.  But not my DSLR.  We've been doing a bit of traveling lately, so my tripod get's used a lot.  Which is why I need something that will last. 

Let me know what options are out there.  Thank you.

-Joelle

7 years 9 months ago #489568 by KCook
I feel your pain.  For travel I do have a light tripod to use with my mirrorless.  But with my DSLR I simply hand hold all the time.  My DSLR tripod (aluminum) is too heavy to pack along.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 9 months ago #489591 by Frisco
I've had a couple, and convinced there are no good travel tripods! :pinch:

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489616 by Screamin Scott
I use an Eddie Evo CF pod from 3 Legged thing. Works for me...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489621 by Todd Knight
TVC-42G Versa Series 4 Ground Tripod :drool:

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489623 by ShutterPal
It's funny you bring this up.  I was just talking to a friend last week about small reliable tripods are few.  You would expect more would step up to the plate with something that DSLR owners would feel comfortable using.  

IMO industry fail.  :owned:

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489696 by Ben Vanderbilt

Todd Knight wrote: TVC-42G Versa Series 4 Ground Tripod :drool:

That's a RRS isn't it?

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489698 by Screamin Scott
Yes it is an RRS & it retails for $728 on their site...

Ben Vanderbilt wrote:

Todd Knight wrote: TVC-42G Versa Series 4 Ground Tripod :drool:

That's a RRS isn't it?

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489713 by Sammy Marc

KCook wrote: I feel your pain.  For travel I do have a light tripod to use with my mirrorless.  But with my DSLR I simply hand hold all the time.  My DSLR tripod (aluminum) is too heavy to pack along.

Kelly

I hand hold as well. Every travel tripod I've tried has been crap and my budget doesn't allow for the top shelf ones.

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489733 by J Photo Man
That's a well built tripod, when will it be shipping?  

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489736 by Screamin Scott
Are all of the legs 10x CF or just the center post ?

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #489740 by Screamin Scott
Ah, good to know. My 3 Legged Thing Eddie Evo 2 has a center post that is 10 core but the legs are 8 core (thicker diameters though). I never extend the center post anyway, so the fact that it's 10 core is irrelevant. I won it along with a 3 Legged Thing Ball Head several years back. It's in the same price range as this one but has been updated since I got it. This pod looks really nice though.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489741 by Greg Friedman
What's 10x CF?  

I'm guessing carbon fiber, but what does 10x specifically mean?  

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489745 by Jim Photo
yes, that's 10 layers of carbon fiber.  Impressive tripod.  

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489746 by Stacy Craig
My husband bought me one of those bean bag tripod things.  Don't waste your money, it's a joke.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024