Best travel tripod for DSLR

7 years 9 months ago #489747 by Greg Friedman

Jim Photo wrote: yes, that's 10 layers of carbon fiber.  Impressive tripod.  

Is CF laid the same way has fiberglass?  Speaking of which, did they ever make fiberglass tripods?  LOL I bet that would be heavy as heck!  

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489749 by Jim Photo

Greg Friedman wrote:

Jim Photo wrote: yes, that's 10 layers of carbon fiber.  Impressive tripod.  

Is CF laid the same way has fiberglass?  Speaking of which, did they ever make fiberglass tripods?  LOL I bet that would be heavy as heck!  

Not sure if it's the same process.   I don't think so, fiberglass would be WAY to heavy.  

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489750 by Greg Friedman
Hey Jim, there are fiberglass tripods, check it out:

LMAO!!!!

Photo Comments
Attachments:
7 years 9 months ago #489766 by The Gardener
You might need to simply buy a tripod that is not branded as a "travel tripod" and go with just something that is small.  RRS and Gitzo have some options worth looking at.  

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489767 by Soccer Mom

The Gardener wrote: You might need to simply buy a tripod that is not branded as a "travel tripod" and go with just something that is small.  RRS and Gitzo have some options worth looking at.  

Ha!  You and I are thinking the same:  www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175114-R...ries_1_traveler.html

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489768 by Screamin Scott
Until we know the OP's budget, suggestions are not relevant....

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489770 by KZAM

Soccer Mom wrote:

The Gardener wrote: You might need to simply buy a tripod that is not branded as a "travel tripod" and go with just something that is small.  RRS and Gitzo have some options worth looking at.  

Ha!  You and I are thinking the same:  www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175114-R...ries_1_traveler.html

Thank you for sharing this 

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489773 by Joelle Shields

Screamin Scott wrote: Until we know the OP's budget, suggestions are not relevant....

Thank you.  Honestly my last 2 tripods I bought weren't all that terribly priced high.  Both of them are in pretty much the same boat and need to be replaced.  I called B&H and Adorama and both reps I spoke to recommended to make a larger investment to get something better.  That will last longer.  So I'm going to put max budget at $500 for my travel tripod and I'm going to take the advise another photographer here who recommended to me last week.  - Go big and be done with it. The big tripod I'm going to go with something $1000 max.  WOW $1500 bucks for tripods. Well, these better last a long time!   :)    My next major investment is going to be a telescope and time lapse rig.  So the sturdy tripods will come in handy with the time lapse gear.  Actually this year is turning out to be a pricey year!  

7 years 9 months ago #489779 by Allen D
I've been shopping around for a possible new tripod and I'll tell you at those budgets you're going to be very happy with the build quality difference.  2 years ago, I bought my first major tripod upgrade.  It was a used RRS.  Which is why I'm shopping around for something new.  Plus I do need a second tripod.  I like the RRS, however I've had some issues getting ahold of their customer service, so I'm looking at other options.  Then  again, I only needed to reach them just once. Not bad for 2 years owning.  

What do you shoot aside from time lapse?  

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489785 by Joelle Shields

Allen D wrote: I've been shopping around for a possible new tripod and I'll tell you at those budgets you're going to be very happy with the build quality difference.  2 years ago, I bought my first major tripod upgrade.  It was a used RRS.  Which is why I'm shopping around for something new.  Plus I do need a second tripod.  I like the RRS, however I've had some issues getting ahold of their customer service, so I'm looking at other options.  Then  again, I only needed to reach them just once. Not bad for 2 years owning.  

What do you shoot aside from time lapse?  

That's the plan!  I shoot landscapes and nature

7 years 9 months ago #489911 by Jackson Rieger
 That's a big budget for tripods.  You might want to look at Feisol as well.  You could save a few bucks and still get a quality tripod.  *Tripods 

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #489986 by tCampbell
Where did my post go?  

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #490004 by Wyrick Photography

Soccer Mom wrote:

I think Santa might need to see this post or else :nunu:  :rofl:

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #490005 by Wyrick Photography

Jackson Rieger wrote:  That's a big budget for tripods.  You might want to look at Feisol as well.  You could save a few bucks and still get a quality tripod.  *Tripods 

Good tripod, I have one that is 2 years old

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #490045 by Tony Imaging
So which route, did you go?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024